+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Disabilities and sponsorship

tiarachel85

Champion Member
Jun 27, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

One of my friend is on ODSP. He just got married to a foreign national. Her spouse is also a person with physical disabilities and lives OUTSIDE Canada.

Now I would like to know how it would affect his ODSP payment?

Should he declare his spouse now to ODSP office or should he wait until his spouse is sponsored?

Thanks
T

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
Hi,

One of my friend is on ODSP. He just got married to a foreign national. Her spouse is also a person with physical disabilities and lives OUTSIDE Canada.

Now I would like to know how it would affect his ODSP payment?

Should he declare his spouse now to ODSP office or should he wait until his spouse is sponsored?

Thanks
T
Well there are two things:

1. If your friend is on welfare or social assistance, he is not eligible to sponsor his spouse.
2. Based on the current immigration rules, if a applicant is determined to be of excessive demand of health care resources, then they are considered medically inadmissible to Canada. This rule will be scrapped or changed by the current government but not sure when.

That is my opinions so other forum members can comment or correct my post

tiarachel85

Champion Member
Jun 27, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No. A person cannot sponsor if he is on assistance OTHER than disability.
It's clearly mentioned on the application form itself.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No. A person cannot sponsor if he is on assistance OTHER than disability.
It's clearly mentioned on the application form itself.
Technically this is true - however we have several seen refusals here where the sponsor was on ODSP and CIC was concerned the partner would have to leverage similar services as well. The OP's friend is at risk of this happening. Typically when the sponsor is on ODSP, we strongly recommend the applicant provide evidence of employment from their home country to demonstrate that they plan to be employed once they arrive in Canada and won't require support. It sounds like this may not be possible for the above case which may make approval much more difficult.

To answer the original question - definitely do not add the sponsored spouse to ODSP now.

If the sponsored spouse is working in their home country - include evidence in the application to prove they are employed.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Well there are two things:

1. If your friend is on welfare or social assistance, he is not eligible to sponsor his spouse.
2. Based on the current immigration rules, if a applicant is determined to be of excessive demand of health care resources, then they are considered medically inadmissible to Canada. This rule will be scrapped or changed by the current government but not sure when.

That is my opinions so other forum members can comment or correct my post
1. Those on ODSP are still allowed to sponsor. Only those on regular social assistance are banned from sponsoring. However see my comment above. It's not entirely that straight forward.
2. Excessive demand doesn't apply to spousal sponsorship.

Reactions: Wonderland_1010

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
1. Those on ODSP are still allowed to sponsor. Only those on regular social assistance are banned from sponsoring. However see my comment above. It's not entirely that straight forward.
2. Excessive demand doesn't apply to spousal sponsorship.
Noted. Thank you for clarifying.

tiarachel85

Champion Member
Jun 27, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks

But it won't be a lie if I he don't disclose his spouse to ODSP worker?

Technically this is true - however we have several seen refusals here where the sponsor was on ODSP and CIC was concerned the partner would have to leverage similar services as well. The OP's friend is at risk of this happening. Typically when the sponsor is on ODSP, we strongly recommend the applicant provide evidence of employment from their home country to demonstrate that they plan to be employed once they arrive in Canada and won't require support. It sounds like this may not be possible for the above case which may make approval much more difficult.

To answer the original question - definitely do not add the sponsored spouse to ODSP now.

If the sponsored spouse is working in their home country - include evidence in the application to prove they are employed.