+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Diploma to Diploma How to explain in SOP

Princebtw

Jul 4, 2021
Hi , I'm Prince
29 yrs Old
Done 3 yr diploma in Biomedical Engineering now going to do 2 yr program Electronics Engineering Technician in Durham College.

I have very good academic record and Academic IELTS they are
CGPA - 8.04 & IELTS - 7 ( 8.5, 7.5 , 6.5, 6 ) respectively.

Even if my courses sound different there are common courses like Electronics and Computer Programming in both programs.

I am working in india as a service engineer in medical field.

My question is that , how to convince in my SOP that I'm doing another diploma after 7 years. Any suggestions are welcome.

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
Hi , I'm Prince
29 yrs Old
Done 3 yr diploma in Biomedical Engineering now going to do 2 yr program Electronics Engineering Technician in Durham College.

I have very good academic record and Academic IELTS they are
CGPA - 8.04 & IELTS - 7 ( 8.5, 7.5 , 6.5, 6 ) respectively.

Even if my courses sound different there are common courses like Electronics and Computer Programming in both programs.

I am working in india as a service engineer in medical field.

My question is that , how to convince in my SOP that I'm doing another diploma after 7 years. Any suggestions are welcome.
Why are you doing the same course then? You need to do a higher level program

Princebtw

Jul 4, 2021
How, specifically?
My area of study is Biomedical Engineering, which involves basically electronics engineering topics. But currently i am looking forward to study in depth study in pure electronics which will help me for a better job opportunity in my country.

rogelcorral

Champion Member
Jun 15, 2018
Just my opinion, the Electronics Engineering Technician program at Durham College is a two-year diploma program. This offers only the basics in electronics, therefore would not be a progression from your Biomedical Engineering. Chances of SP rejection is high. You may have a better chance with the Biomedical Engineering Technology, an advance college diploma, which is related to your previous education. Although not assured since VO may still think why are you getting a college degree when you already have a 3yr diploma.

Again, just my opinion. Only the VO can have the final say.

Reactions: Princebtw

Princebtw

Jul 4, 2021
Just my opinion, the Electronics Engineering Technician program at Durham College is a two-year diploma program. This offers only the basics in electronics, therefore would not be a progression from your Biomedical Engineering. Chances of SP rejection is high. You may have a better chance with the Biomedical Engineering Technology, an advance college diploma, which is related to your previous education. Although not assured since VO may still think why are you getting a college degree when you already have a 3yr diploma.

Again, just my opinion. Only the VO can have the final say.
I have reasoned it in my SOP , there is a huge difference between an indian 3 year diploma and 2 year diploma in a highly advanced college from Canada right. If our education is comparable to Canada then why we need education assessment . Electronics engineering in canada has it's perks , right ? Could you help me present it in my SOP in a better way please

rogelcorral

Champion Member
Jun 15, 2018
I have reasoned it in my SOP , there is a huge difference between an indian 3 year diploma and 2 year diploma in a highly advanced college from Canada right. If our education is comparable to Canada then why we need education assessment . Electronics engineering in canada has it's perks , right ? Could you help me present it in my SOP in a better way please
Unfortunately, the VO may not see it that way. Maybe if we’re discussing university level degree, then maybe. However, in Canada, a college program is the basic of the basic that you can get. College programs usually offer just the foundation for a particular trade. If you will compare DC’s Electronics Engineering Technician (2 yr college diploma) program to the Biomedical Engineering Technology (advance college diploma), you would see that a number of courses in the former program are also in the later program. If you are currently doing an electronics technician job but do not have the proper credential, then maybe you can sway the VO’s decision to your favor. Because you can argue in your SOP that, although you have the job experience, you do not have the proper credentials to show for it.

If you will search through this forum, you would see that a lot of refusals were because the intended prgram is not related to previous degree or no progression (same or lower level degree). Better to avoid that or risk refusal.

Again, these are just my opinion. Final verdict still rest on the VO.

Princebtw

Jul 4, 2021
So you're saying that it's nearly impossible to get an approval. I know a few people applied for renewable energy technician after 3yr electronics diploma and got approved. So what's the exact magic is it purely based on SOP or anything else

rogelcorral

Champion Member
Jun 15, 2018
So you're saying that it's nearly impossible to get an approval. I know a few people applied for renewable energy technician after 3yr electronics diploma and got approved. So what's the exact magic is it purely based on SOP or anything else
Like I said before, just my opinion. You may or you may not be approved. If you want to rely on a few people who got approval through that route, then that’s entirely your decision to make.

rogelcorral

Champion Member
Jun 15, 2018
Btw, I am a DC alumnus. Your intended program is offered in the Oshawa campus where I studied. I may be biased, but I do recommend DC.