+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dilemma with Birth Certificate from India

alexvgs

Feb 2, 2008
Hi,

I just noticed a discrepancy between the birth certificate issued by my local birth registrar and my passport. For some reason and I dont know how this could have happened. My passport states I was born in town "x" while my birth certificate states that I was born in town "y". Both these towns (villages really) are not far apart - probably 20-30 minutes drive. Town "x" happens to be my father's place of birth and town "y" happens to be my mother's place of birth.

I suppose this happened because when they informed the birth registrar, they faithfully recorded the correct place of birth (which is my mother's town, since I was really born there). Subsequently when they applied for my passport (which they did when I was about 4 years old), they may not have even looked at my birth certificate but must have tried to fill in details from my father's passport thinking that I might have been born in the same town as my father. All this happened over 33 years ago, prior to the computerization of India's passport offices.

I never noticed this uptil now because I never took a close look at my birth certificate. I always used my passport to fill up any documents in the past.

My question is, will this pose a problem for Canadian immigration? I'm not sure if this has happened in the past. Is there an option of not submitting my birth certificate at all. Can I just submit my passport as "proof of birth"? In the application form itself, whereever place of birth is asked for, I'm filling in the name of the town specified in my passport and ignoring the one in the birth certificate. Has anyone ever had a scenario like this before?

Really appreciate any insight,

Thanks
Alex

Mar 15, 2008
I am under the impression that you only need birth certificates when you initially apply; not afterwards.
Have you checked the rules to see if they accept alternative documents? If yes, you may not have to
submit the birth certificate..

gurdeep

Star Member
Sep 25, 2007
Hi

alexvgs said:
Hi,

I just noticed a discrepancy between the birth certificate issued by my local birth registrar and my passport. For some reason and I dont know how this could have happened. My passport states I was born in town "x" while my birth certificate states that I was born in town "y". Both these towns (villages really) are not far apart - probably 20-30 minutes drive. Town "x" happens to be my father's place of birth and town "y" happens to be my mother's place of birth.

I suppose this happened because when they informed the birth registrar, they faithfully recorded the correct place of birth (which is my mother's town, since I was really born there). Subsequently when they applied for my passport (which they did when I was about 4 years old), they may not have even looked at my birth certificate but must have tried to fill in details from my father's passport thinking that I might have been born in the same town as my father. All this happened over 33 years ago, prior to the computerization of India's passport offices.

I never noticed this uptil now because I never took a close look at my birth certificate. I always used my passport to fill up any documents in the past.

My question is, will this pose a problem for Canadian immigration? I'm not sure if this has happened in the past. Is there an option of not submitting my birth certificate at all. Can I just submit my passport as "proof of birth"? In the application form itself, whereever place of birth is asked for, I'm filling in the name of the town specified in my passport and ignoring the one in the birth certificate. Has anyone ever had a scenario like this before?

Thanks
Alex

Birth certificate is not necessary to submit whether you have proof of your birth on passport or any educational certificate. It is better to correct the mistake even if it happened long time back to avoide further complication.

Best Wishes

sai

Jul 29, 2008
Hi there,

Please help me out if you know answers abt these questions.
I am from India working in US since 8 months, on H1B visa.

1.Can we use passport as alternative for Birth Certificate?My wife is not having BirthCertificate.

2.Is there any condition that we have to stay in U.S for a year to apply for Canada PR ?

3. Do you have idea about Police Clearance Certificate ? At what stage of the application
for Canadian PR process should I submit ?
As it may take 3 to 4 months to get the police clearance certificate from one of the country I have visited, I am wondering if I can submit the Police clearance certificate of that country in the later stages of the Canadian PR processing?

4. Is it required to provide the PCC for my spouse too?

Thanks in advance...
Maddy

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

sai said:
Hi there,

Please help me out if you know answers abt these questions.
I am from India working in US since 8 months, on H1B visa.

1.Can we use passport as alternative for Birth Certificate?My wife is not having BirthCertificate.

No, As birth registration was compulsory since 1969 in India, you will have to probably get a "proof of no registration" and probably school records showing birth.

2.Is there any condition that we have to stay in U.S for a year to apply for Canada PR ?

No, you have to have been ADMITTED to the US for 1 year, to be able to apply to Buffalo.

3. Do you have idea about Police Clearance Certificate ? At what stage of the application
for Canadian PR process should I submit ?

Buffalo? with the application, Delhi when requested.

As it may take 3 to 4 months to get the police clearance certificate from one of the country I have visited, I am wondering if I can submit the Police clearance certificate of that country in the later stages of the Canadian PR processing?

You can try, but you might get your application returned.

4. Is it required to provide the PCC for my spouse too?

Yes.

Thanks in advance...
Maddy

Vinzy

Star Member
Oct 1, 2014
Qatar
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO (Processing) / ADVO (PP Sub)
NOC Code......
2281/2171
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-02-2016
Nomination.....
25-12-2015
AOR Received.
01-3-2016
IELTS Request
01-05-2015
Med's Done....
04-03-2016
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
18-05-2016
VISA ISSUED...
15-6-2016
LANDED..........
02-11-2016
Any alternatives for birth certificates? 1989 born and my birth certificate does not have my middle name and it has an extra Initials that kinda diminished during school days....the issue authority is not agreeing to get it corrected, what are my possible alternatives. Thanks !

PS. 10th Memo, Passport, PAN and other docs have same name but only the birth cert has the extra initials and its missing middle name.

abhi5525

Sep 2, 2015
Hi Guys,

I don't have birth certificate, what are the alternate documents I can use as birth certificate for CIC?

Thanks & Regards,
Abhishek

ANUJP87

Apr 22, 2015
India
Category........
Visa Office......
CVO ( ORIGINAL NDVO )
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-11-2014
Nomination.....
03-02-2015
AOR Received.
11-03-2015
IELTS Request
SENT WITH PACKAGE
File Transfer...
21-05-2015
Med's Request
16-06-2015
Med's Done....
23-06-2015
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
31-08-2015 ( DM ON 21-7-2015)
VISA ISSUED...
08-09-2015 (Collected on 10.09.2015)
LANDED..........
MAR OR FEB 16
alexvgs said:
Hi,

Thanks
Alex

Hi Alex

First at what stage you are of application ??
i think Birth Place doesn't matter for application what matters is Correct DOB and Guardian names should match in Passport and BC..!!

sangpll2009

Star Member
Jun 16, 2018
Any alternatives for birth certificates? 1989 born and my birth certificate does not have my middle name and it has an extra Initials that kinda diminished during school days....the issue authority is not agreeing to get it corrected, what are my possible alternatives. Thanks !

PS. 10th Memo, Passport, PAN and other docs have same name but only the birth cert has the extra initials and its missing middle name.
Hi, so how did you go about with this issue?