+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dilemma: Sponsor Spouse through Family Class Sponsorship or ask her to apply for Express Entry

rakakatoofaan

Star Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi,

Background:
I am Canadian PR holder, living in the US. I got my Canadian PR when I was single, back in 2016.

Few Months back, I got Married and my wife moved to the US. Furthermore, My Wife just got her Canadian Tourist Visa approved, with multiple entry.

We are looking for the fastest and efficient way for her to become a Canadian PR Holder. I think as of now, I have two options.

a) Express Entry: She Applies for PR under Express Entry
Notes:
1. She is not working in the US.

b) Family Class Sponsorship : I sponsor her after moving to Canada. She will also move to Canada with me on the Visitor Visa.
Notes:
1. I read that it takes, a maximum of 12 months to get the PR approved.
2. If we go with the Family Class Sponsorship option, and if it takes more than 6 months to get the PR, I think she will have to leave the country. If yes, then what might be the minimum duration she can be out of Canada, before re entering?
3. Also, while the PR is in process, can she leave Canada?
4. Also, do I have to file any tax related paperwork, before I apply for her PR to show any type of proof of my residency?
5. May I apply for her PR as an Inland or Outland Application?
6. If she has to extend her tourist visa for more than 6 months, while the PR is in process, on what grounds can she extend her stay and up to what time?

I would be nice to get a general feedback, comments or suggestions, based on our situation.Furthermore, I want to thank you for taking time out to have a look at this. I really appreciate it.

shinene2020

Star Member
May 18, 2017
Northwest Territories
Category........
Other
Visa Office......
Montreal
The fastest will definitely be express entry if she can get her needed documents sorted in good time. including credential evaluation and ielts... but if its going to take time to do all that, then just use the sponsorship option....

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Hi,

Background:
I am Canadian PR holder, living in the US. I got my Canadian PR when I was single, back in 2016.

Few Months back, I got Married and my wife moved to the US. Furthermore, My Wife just got her Canadian Tourist Visa approved, with multiple entry.

We are looking for the fastest and efficient way for her to become a Canadian PR Holder. I think as of now, I have two options.

a) Express Entry: She Applies for PR under Express Entry
Notes:
1. She is not working in the US.

b) Family Class Sponsorship : I sponsor her after moving to Canada. She will also move to Canada with me on the Visitor Visa.
Notes:
1. I read that it takes, a maximum of 12 months to get the PR approved.
2. If we go with the Family Class Sponsorship option, and if it takes more than 6 months to get the PR, I think she will have to leave the country. If yes, then what might be the minimum duration she can be out of Canada, before re entering?
3. Also, while the PR is in process, can she leave Canada?
4. Also, do I have to file any tax related paperwork, before I apply for her PR to show any type of proof of my residency?
5. May I apply for her PR as an Inland or Outland Application?
6. If she has to extend her tourist visa for more than 6 months, while the PR is in process, on what grounds can she extend her stay and up to what time?

I would be nice to get a general feedback, comments or suggestions, based on our situation.Furthermore, I want to thank you for taking time out to have a look at this. I really appreciate it.
b2 - You can apply to extend her stay in Canada for more than 6 months, if her sponsorship application is in process.
3. Not if you apply inland, so she has to apply "outland", which is also faster.
5. Apply for her as "outland" because it is faster. Since she already has her TRV, she can visit you during this process.
b6 - You actually mean her "visitor status" and not "tourist visa" because a tourist visa only permits entry into Canada and not the length of stay (that is "visitor status").

Your other questions for Family Class should be asked in the appropriate forum.