+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Digital Photo Requirement

resilientflora

Star Member
Jun 30, 2020
Hi all,

Just wondering about the photo requirement. It seems stringent, and I’m not sure how to be so precise about it. Does anyone have tips for this process? I don’t think I can reach out to a professional photographer right now, so it will need to be done at home. Will an iPhone photo suffice, or should I try to dig out my old camera?

Thanks for any info!

resilientflora

Star Member
Jun 30, 2020
I personally crop the passport photo. Never had a problem.
Hi there,

Do you mean you digitally crop a scan of your passport photo? Mine was taken about a year ago (maybe two) and i look quite different now...does that matter much?

For some reason I was under the impression the photo could not be digitally cropped at all and had to be taken in the last 6 months...not sure where i read that, but is that just not true?

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Iphone photo is fine, on a light background, make sure its not blurred, light is even and color is natural.

resilientflora

Star Member
Jun 30, 2020
Never heard a peep of protest from IRCC. Results may vary.
Thank you! Final questions: do you mean you take a photo of your passport, crop it to just show the photo, and send that in? or do you scan it, crop it to a certain dimension, and send that?

For some reason this particular part is worrying me because I don't have the original photos and the requirements on the site are so specific - I would hate to be rejected for cropping it too much or taking a photo of my passport...

thevisawhisperer

Champion Member
Jun 10, 2020
West Coast
I open a pdf of the passport ID page, crop it to show just the photo, save the file and upload it. Going back through the thread, I realise that I'm assuming that is is a digital application (i.e., you are uploading your photo). If you are talking about a paper application then ignore everything I've said and go to a photographer.

resilientflora

Star Member
Jun 30, 2020
I open a pdf of the passport ID page, crop it to show just the photo, save the file and upload it. Going back through the thread, I realise that I'm assuming that is is a digital application (i.e., you are uploading your photo). If you are talking about a paper application then ignore everything I've said and go to a photographer.
Oh, darn. I definitely don't feel safe enough to go to a photographer. I think I will have to take an iPhone photo (as mentioned above) and figure out the dimensions...

I don't think they are taking physical apps at this time.

Achsah

Star Member
Jul 7, 2020
Hi gyz
I made a mistake while uploading the digital photo
I accidentally uploaded png. Format instead of JPG.
Will it be a problem?
Please suggest