+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Digital Photo - Post ITA questions

DRM11

Jun 21, 2018
I have received ITA and was looking at the specifications for the digital photo to upload in the CIC website.

The specification to upload digital photo is as follows:

Frame size

• The final frame size of the photo must be at least 35mm x 45mm.
  • The photographs must show a full front view of the head and tops of shoulders, with the face in the middle of the photograph.
  • The size of the head, from chin to crown, must be between 31mm and 36mm.
  • Digital dimensions are often expressed in pixels or DPI (dots per inch). The physical dimensions in pixels must be at least 420 x 540.
Quality/resolution

If an existing photo is being scanned, the minimum resolution must be 600 pixels per inch.

File format

• The file may be submitted in JPEG or JPEG2000 format.
  • The final size of the image should ideally be 240 kB (kilobytes), but not less than 60 kB.
  • The image must be in colour (24 bits per pixel) in RGB colour space, which is the common output for most digital cameras.
My questions are:

1) Should the photo be printed physically according to the dimensions and does it then need to be scanned OR the photo should be taken in digital format in the exact dimensions by a professional photographer?

2) Is there a need of physically printing the photo since we are uploading it electronically?

3) Since it is a digital photo, do we need to provide backpage of the photo where we are asked to print our Date of birth and the photographer's address?

Anyone who had already filed for their PR can you please help.

Thanks.

hamgha

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2017
App. Filed.......
07-07-2017
Nomination.....
12-04-2017
IELTS Request
21-01-2017
Med's Done....
25-04-2017
I have received ITA and was looking at the specifications for the digital photo to upload in the CIC website.

Frame size

• The photographs must show a full front view of the head and tops of shoulders, with the face in the middle of the photograph.
  • Digital dimensions are often expressed in pixels or DPI (dots per inch). The physical dimensions in pixels must be at least 420 x 540.
Quality/resolution

If an existing photo is being scanned, the minimum resolution must be 600 pixels per inch.

File format

• The final size of the image should ideally be 240 kB (kilobytes), but not less than 60 kB.
  • The image must be in colour (24 bits per pixel) in RGB colour space, which is the common output for most digital cameras.
My questions are:

1) Should the photo be printed physically according to the dimensions and does it then need to be scanned OR the photo should be taken in digital format in the exact dimensions by a professional photographer?

2) Is there a need of physically printing the photo since we are uploading it electronically?

3) Since it is a digital photo, do we need to provide backpage of the photo where we are asked to print our Date of birth and the photographer's address?

Thanks.
No 1 usually we receive then printed and scan them. You can try uploading the digital file if you're sure it matches requireme ts.

No 3. There has been no mention of the back address up to this point in your requirements correct? Avoid hearsay in these things becauae the backside and adress part is for the post PPR image. Stick to the requirements listed by ircc.

yellowhornet

Star Member
Feb 4, 2018

Frame size

Quality/resolution

File format

My questions are:

Thanks.

I asked the same question today. Based on a senior member's reply, and most importantly the instruction on the upload page, I think it's fine to submit the original digital photo.

northern sunshine

Mar 22, 2017
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
12-06-2018
AOR Received.
12-06-2018
Med's Done....
02-06-2018
Passport Req..
26-07-2018
LANDED..........
23-02-2019
I asked the same question today. Based on a senior member's reply, and most importantly the instruction on the upload page, I think it's fine to submit the original digital photo.
I used a digital photo (JPG) that I took myself cropped to the specified size. Worked just fine. :)

Reactions: yellowhornet

DRM11

Jun 21, 2018
No 1 usually we receive then printed and scan them. You can try uploading the digital file if you're sure it matches requireme ts.

No 3. There has been no mention of the back address up to this point in your requirements correct? Avoid hearsay in these things becauae the backside and adress part is for the post PPR image. Stick to the requirements listed by ircc.
Thanks a lot for the information.

northern sunshine

Mar 22, 2017
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
12-06-2018
AOR Received.
12-06-2018
Med's Done....
02-06-2018
Passport Req..
26-07-2018
LANDED..........
23-02-2019
Did you crop it exactly to 420x540 or higher? Is higher ok? Should we give higher? Since 420x540 is given as "at least"
Higher is okay! I just cropped mine to the approximate ratios they use in PR photos, but the actual dimensions were probably 4x larger than the minimum requirement.

RISHIFERRARI20

Star Member
Sep 27, 2018
I am also at the post ITA stage, uploading my documents and digital photo. So if I understand correctly, at this stage, it is NOT required to upload back of the photo with date and address info etc.? Just the front and a digital copy fitting the dimension specifications on the upload page will do?
Also, should this digital copy be the EXACT photo whose physical copy we will be sending at the PPR stage?

newEEonOWP

Jan 31, 2018
I am also at the post ITA stage, uploading my documents and digital photo. So if I understand correctly, at this stage, it is NOT required to upload back of the photo with date and address info etc.? Just the front and a digital copy fitting the dimension specifications on the upload page will do?
Also, should this digital copy be the EXACT photo whose physical copy we will be sending at the PPR stage?
I am also in post ITA stage and have the same questions. I am thinking to get a digital photo with these dimensions at walmart or any studio and upload.

divyasajjan

Star Member
Jul 15, 2019
United States of America
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
31-05-2019
Doc's Request.
30-10-2019
Nomination.....
13-11-2019
AOR Received.
09-01-2020
File Transfer...
09-01-2020
Med's Request
20-12-2019
Med's Done....
23-01-2020
Passport Req..
19-10-2020
I got only printed photos from Walgreens as they are not giving us digital photos, if I have to scan, the dimensions will be no longer the same and the photo is bigger. how do I meet the specifications?

Aksh202

Nov 9, 2019
Is it necessary that the printed to be provided at PPR are same as of the digital photo uploaded at ITA.

Mike Jimmy

Nov 14, 2019
Can someone please provide a clear answer to the post ITA photo questions? Above listed answers are confusing.
TIA

Abhishek1710

Jan 27, 2020
Hello guys,
I got my digital photo but the size is 413*531 instead of 420*540 as per the requirement. Is this gonna be an issue?

Gurleenkaur2020

Mar 5, 2020
Dear All

Due to COVID-19 outbreak lockdown, none of the photo studios are open or in working. However, i was thinking to click a photo using my smart phone and using an app PASSPORT SIZE PHOTO MAKER or similar apps online, i can resize as per requirements.
Due date to submit PR application is May 4, 2020.
But my question is, i am unable to remove shadow from the picture, which is only visible in the neck region. Any suggestions? Will it be acceptable? Do i need to provide Letter of explanation for not providing a photo by a professional photographer?

Thanks in Advance