+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Digital freelance work online while studying

Catmom

May 28, 2020
Hey all,
I am a digital marketer and I do lots of tiny freelancce projets for clients around the world, that gets me maybe 200 dollars at times or maybe even 500 dollars at times.

I wanted to know can I continue pursuing this while studying in college in Canada. And are we supposed to declare this? Can I still continue doing 20 hours part time job?

Thanks

Humpholito24

Sep 20, 2019
Are the freelance projects Canadian companies etc.? If not, you can do whatever you want. You don't need to declare this.

akhilmunagala

Star Member
Jan 19, 2021
Are the freelance projects Canadian companies etc.? If not, you can do whatever you want. You don't need to declare this.
I have a similar situation, the company I work for pays me through the Indian branch. However, they do have multiple branches in Canada. Does it have any issues if I don't declare it?

Humpholito24

Sep 20, 2019
I have a similar situation, the company I work for pays me through the Indian branch. However, they do have multiple branches in Canada. Does it have any issues if I don't declare it?
If it is a Canadian company, you need to make sure you work 20 hrs during school sessions and full time during scheduled breaks which I am pretty sure you know. You will only declare it when filing taxes since I think they do report your taxes to CRA only if it is a Canadian company.

akhilmunagala

Star Member
Jan 19, 2021
If it is a Canadian company, you need to make sure you work 20 hrs during school sessions and full time during scheduled breaks which I am pretty sure you know. You will only declare it when filing taxes since I think they do report your taxes to CRA only if it is a Canadian company.
Thanks! so even if I don't get that money to a Canadian account. I do need to make sure if the company has a branch in Canada correct?

akhilmunagala

Star Member
Jan 19, 2021
Then you don't need to declare anything. You can do anything you want, even working as many hours as you want.
Yes, thanks for answering my questions. And also it applies even if it is a US company correct? (I some times do Freelance, so few clients need tax forms to be filled out)