+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Difficulty searching IT jobs on Open Work Permit in Toronto

singhanchal13

Jun 13, 2016
I am a skilled worker in the field of Information Technology (IT) with 7 yrs of experience in Business Intelligence and presently I am on open work permit in Toronto.

I have been searching for a Contracting/Full time job opportunity in market for last 6 months since September 2016 but fail to find one. The main reason is
1. Companies are not preferring temporary work visa for Contracting/full time position either.All demand for PR/Citizenship.
2. Toronto is full with Financial companies over the IT services/consulting companies.

I was working with one of the top rated IT firm back in India. I want to know the reason why companies are refusing foreign workers with OWP these days. What other option do I have to work in some kind of similar field.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
It's a pretty simple answer for full time jobs. Open work permits are only valid for a limited period of time. When a company hires a full time staff member, they are investing time and money to train that employee in that role and therefore prefer people who can work in Canada indefinitely.

Generally speaking, companies will also give preference to those with Canadian experience for both full time and contract roles.

Last but not least, your timing is unfortunately very poor and working against you if you're applying to jobs in financial services. Over the last year and a half, most of Canada's big five banks have gone through an exercise of reducing their total number of staff. So there's more competition for fewer jobs right now (i.e. more people looking for work in financial services). Again, those with previous experience with one of the big five will most likely get preference over you.

singhanchal13

Jun 13, 2016
Thank you ... this is disappointing for me at this stage. I have skill which can't benefit me. I have to look for part time @ rate of $12-13/hour rather than $70/hour till I get my PR.

krunal2904

May 9, 2016
Canada
NOC Code......
scylla said:
It's a pretty simple answer for full time jobs. Open work permits are only valid for a limited period of time. When a company hires a full time staff member, they are investing time and money to train that employee in that role and therefore prefer people who can work in Canada indefinitely.

Generally speaking, companies will also give preference to those with Canadian experience for both full time and contract roles.

Last but not least, your timing is unfortunately very poor and working against you if you're applying to jobs in financial services. Over the last year and a half, most of Canada's big five banks have gone through an exercise of reducing their total number of staff. So there's more competition for fewer jobs right now (i.e. more people looking for work in financial services). Again, those with previous experience with one of the big five will most likely get preference over you.

More information to add, It's not necessary that big companies are only hiring PR/and Canadian. I am on open work permit and working for one of the best five banks of Canada as well as my few friends. I would like to say if you have previous co-op experience while study that helps a lot to become a full-time employee of company.

Thanks,

krunal2904

May 9, 2016
Canada
NOC Code......
singhanchal13 said:
Thank you ... this is disappointing for me at this stage. I have skill which can't benefit me. I have to look for part time @ rate of $12-13/hour rather than $70/hour till I get my PR.
Sorry to hear about your situation. There are so many possibilities that you are not able to find job. please keep your linked In profile upto date as well as your resume. Apply with Cover letter, Resume and reference letter if you have any.

If you're facing difficulties to find job, I would strongly recommend that please contact any consultancy such as Randstand, FDM, CareerEdge etc. Hope you will definitely find something.

Thanks,
Krunal

paul234

Star Member
Feb 21, 2017
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2017
Doc's Request.
03-05-17
Med's Request
03-05-17
Interview........
03-05-17
Passport Req..
...waiting...
krunal2904 said:
Sorry to hear about your situation. There are so many possibilities that you are not able to find job. please keep your linked In profile upto date as well as your resume. Apply with Cover letter, Resume and reference letter if you have any.

If you're facing difficulties to find job, I would strongly recommend that please contact any consultancy such as Randstand, FDM, CareerEdge etc. Hope you will definitely find something.

Thanks,
Krunal
First job in Canada is going to be very hard to get. Don't wait to find one that actually needs 7yrs of experience etc. Take some junior/mid-level positions, switch jobs after one year. And after one year, you become eligible for PR, so it'd make transitions easier. Your priority should be to get PR asap.
Try https://angel.co/ thats where I landed my first job.

(and like in India, its easier to get a job if there is someone to refer you)

singhanchal13

Jun 13, 2016
krunal2904 said:
More information to add, It's not necessary that big companies are only hiring PR/and Canadian. I am on open work permit and working for one of the best five banks of Canada as well as my few friends. I would like to say if you have previous co-op experience while study that helps a lot to become a full-time employee of company.

Thanks,
Thanks for your advise but I am not a student here in Canada , my spouse is. Student usually get opportunity through their co-op but my case is different. I am on OWP as a dependent.

singhanchal13

Jun 13, 2016
krunal2904 said:

Thanks,
Krunal
I am a 7 yrs experienced Business Intelligence developer in IT services company outside Canada. Firstly , company look for a long term person to invest their time and money in, specially in a developer like me. Hence, here they need PR or citizen to be sure off. Also, Toronto is a financial market with very less opportunity for IT jobs and IT companies like TCS, Accenture etc present here do not have as huge business as in US or India. They do prefer more Asian employee but demand someone with PR or citizen card.

Now, Financial brands do hire IT people but less in number and expected a single person to be multi skill in entirely different work area like coding + tools + reporting and they prefer with canadian work experience or study in Canada.

So, its a double trouble for me at present. One can't figure all these thing before coming to Canada because if you are lucky , you get some decent option else you left trying like me since 6 months.

singhanchal13

Jun 13, 2016
paul234 said:
First job in Canada is going to be very hard to get. Don't wait to find one that actually needs 7yrs of experience etc. Take some junior/mid-level positions, switch jobs after one year. And after one year, you become eligible for PR, so it'd make transitions easier. Your priority should be to get PR asap.
Try ttps://angel.co/ thats where I landed my first job.

(and like in India, its easier to get a job if there is someone to refer you)
Thanks Paul234. I am trying every kind of option to hit right now.Anything matching to my profile at any level to start with.

krunal2904

May 9, 2016
Canada
NOC Code......
I know it's not very easy to find job. Even I had 8 months co-op experience from Financial Industry and after 7 months of graduation, I wasn't able to find anything. Luckily, One day I got email from my manager where I did my 8 months co-op and they guys had an opening in their team so I got my full-time. It is also correct that IT company requires multi talented people. In my bank IT department, My all team members are working with many skills. I don't have that much but my manager said you will be.At the end, I would say, Don't loose your hope. I am very confident that you'll definitely find something.

BTW, How much work permit you have left?

Thanks,
Krunal

xhalae

Jul 20, 2017

Thanks,
Krunal
Do companies like FDM, Randstand, etc count when you’re applying for PR using the CEC stream?