+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Different Signature in the passport

Dev1992

May 5, 2019
Hello

We have received the ITA and filling up the PR application.

In that, there is a requirement to provide the passport scanned copies. My spouse got his passport some time ago, and in that he has his old signature. But in our marriage certificate, he has the new signature that he is using currently.

We have got an affidavit from a lawyer stating that both the signatures are of the same person, and we are uploading that with his passport, and a letter explaining that the signature is the passport is the old one, and the new signature is that on the marriage certificate. In other documents for the PR he will be using the new signature

My question is, will this difference in signatures be an issue, or will the affidavit be sufficient to validate both? Any suggestions from the experts will be highly appreciated :)

Thanks in advance!
/Dev

subodhp

Jun 19, 2019
Toronto
Hello

We have received the ITA and filling up the PR application.

In that, there is a requirement to provide the passport scanned copies. My spouse got his passport some time ago, and in that he has his old signature. But in our marriage certificate, he has the new signature that he is using currently.

We have got an affidavit from a lawyer stating that both the signatures are of the same person, and we are uploading that with his passport, and a letter explaining that the signature is the passport is the old one, and the new signature is that on the marriage certificate. In other documents for the PR he will be using the new signature

My question is, will this difference in signatures be an issue, or will the affidavit be sufficient to validate both? Any suggestions from the experts will be highly appreciated :)

Thanks in advance!
/Dev
Affidavit would help.
There is no fixed answer, I would say if signature differ in name/decorations but have same writing, it will pass muster. If handwriting are completely different, that will be a red flag and addressing it using affidavit will help.

Dev1992

May 5, 2019
Affidavit would help.
There is no fixed answer, I would say if signature differ in name/decorations but have same writing, it will pass muster. If handwriting are completely different, that will be a red flag and addressing it using affidavit will help.
Hey thank you!

Yes the signatures are different. In the old one, its more of writing the name, and the new one is a proper signature.

So the affidavit will be valid and sufficient ? Or should we provide proof from maybe a bank stating that the new signature is what's being used currently ?

subodhp

Jun 19, 2019
Toronto
Hey thank you!

Yes the signatures are different. In the old one, its more of writing the name, and the new one is a proper signature.

So the affidavit will be valid and sufficient ? Or should we provide proof from maybe a bank stating that the new signature is what's being used currently ?
More proof only helps. Ordinarily I would say an affidavit will suffice.