+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Different provinces in "Intend to Reside" and job?

GokulGuruprasad

Oct 26, 2015
Toronto, ON
Category........
FSW
Dear all,

I have received my CoPR and intend to land towards the end of January.
I have resigned from my current job in India.
However, my current company might offer me a role in Canada which I may decide to take up depending on how lucrative it is.
And, this is where my quandary begins.
During the process of applying for PR, one of the questions asked was where I intended to reside, for which I replied Ontario.
However, all roles that my company has open are in Quebec and if I take them up I'll have to live in Quebec.
Hence, if I take up any of those roles, will it become a problem in the future?

sodapop123

Star Member
Mar 22, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-11-2016
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
20-11-2016
IELTS Request
N/A (upfront)
Med's Request
N/A (upfront)
Med's Done....
31-10-2016
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
02-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
27-02-2017
LANDED..........
01-05-2017
GokulGuruprasad said:
Dear all,

I have received my CoPR and intend to land towards the end of January.
I have resigned from my current job in India.
However, my current company might offer me a role in Canada which I may decide to take up depending on how lucrative it is.
And, this is where my quandary begins.

During the process of applying for PR, one of the questions asked was where I intended to reside, for which I replied Ontario.

However, all roles that my company has open are in Quebec and if I take them up I'll have to live in Quebec.
Hence, if I take up any of those roles, will it become a problem in the future?
For above in "blue" - just want to confirm, when you say you selected 'Ontario' during the process of applying for PR, do you mean when you filled in the forms after ITA, during submission of your application ??

I am currently in process of filling out my application post-ITA and stuck with what province to select in the "application details section". I got ITA through FSW i.e. no PNP, hence wondering why they are asking me to select only one province where i intend to stay... and if i select Ontario, what are the repercussions later on if i end up getting a job in another province and want to take it up / move to quebec etc.. like your case.

Joining this thread as answer to your question would help me out as well.

msf02

Apr 8, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In general, there are no reprecussions ONCE you are a permanent resident. However, during your landing, you should not inform them that you intend to reside and work in Quebec... This is especially true for Quebec, because they have their own immigration program that's generally rather different from the federal or the PNP express entry program.

To make a long story short - finish your landing in the primary intended province/city, then a couple of weeks later, move to Quebec.

Specterz

Apr 2, 2015
Mississauga, Ontario
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
AOR Received.
Jan 06, 2017
Med's Done....
Mar 07, 2017
Passport Req..
Mar 14, 2017
Try keeping you destination with Ontario, when you have to pass CBSA (Border Officers). e.g. provide them an Ontario address, where you will be living.

Once they stamp your passport and provide you the required documentation, you can live anywhere in Canada, nobody will say anything.

And for Quebec, they have their own immigration system, however with your CoPR you can live in Quebec, since it's still a Canadian province.

DreamCanada16

Feb 11, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-09-2015
AOR Received.
09-09-2015
Passport Req..
6th December 2016
msf02 said:
In general, there are no reprecussions ONCE you are a permanent resident. However, during your landing, you should not inform them that you intend to reside and work in Quebec... This is especially true for Quebec, because they have their own immigration program that's generally rather different from the federal or the PNP express entry program.

To make a long story short - finish your landing in the primary intended province/city, then a couple of weeks later, move to Quebec.
Agreed in Canada Quebec is totally different so first get into Toronto Ontario and later to Quebec. Another most important thing if u haven't got any other confirmed opportunity in Canada then dont ever think of saying no to your current company offer.

There is nothing better than landing with a job it doesn't matter how lucrative it is atleast u have it. once ur there u have all the world to explore while working. Just a suggestion

sodapop123

Star Member
Mar 22, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-11-2016
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
20-11-2016
IELTS Request
N/A (upfront)
Med's Request
N/A (upfront)
Med's Done....
31-10-2016
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
02-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
27-02-2017
LANDED..........
01-05-2017
DreamCanada16 said:
Agreed in Canada Quebec is totally different so first get into Toronto Ontario and later to Quebec. Another most important thing if u haven't got any other confirmed opportunity in Canada then dont ever think of saying no to your current company offer.

There is nothing better than landing with a job it doesn't matter how lucrative it is atleast u have it. once ur there u have all the world to explore while working. Just a suggestion
Great point.... i am trying to work out a deal with my employer similar to the OP as well. (if it doesn;t work out then i might have to move there and look)... but better to have some kind of stable income to travel, explore Canada and have fun :) in the first few months rather than spending all your time worrying about a job and digging a hole in your savings.

DreamCanada16

Feb 11, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-09-2015
AOR Received.
09-09-2015
Passport Req..
6th December 2016
sodapop123 said:
Great point.... i am trying to work out a deal with my employer similar to the OP as well. (if it doesn;t work out then i might have to move there and look)... but better to have some kind of stable income to travel, explore Canada and have fun :) in the first few months rather than spending all your time worrying about a job and digging a hole in your savings.
u got it right hold ur savings tight