+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Different name in Passport and visitor visa

canada505

Jan 21, 2016
I have just received my mothers passport (applied in India) stamped with her visitor visa. However, then name on visa is her maiden name, which is different then the one on passport.
In the application there they ask for name (as printed in passport) and any other name (maiden name, etc). I filled both correctly, however I would expect the visa to bear the same name as in the passport.
However the visa has been stamped using maiden name instead. The passport's last page indicates my mother's parents name, which bears the same surname as the surname in mother's maiden name.

My question is, if this is a standard practice by Canada embassy to issue/stamp visitor visa using maiden name?
I will appreciate if someone can share any experiences or suggestions.

Thanks

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
You must contact the visa office to re-issue the visa as per the name in her passport (not her maiden name). Else she may have a problem with the airlines because the tickets will be issued as per her passport name

DHAKA 2014

Star Member
Sep 9, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
SGVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-05-2014 PER received...: 27-08-2014
AOR Received.
29-09-2014
Med's Request
05-11-2014
Med's Done....
08-11-2014
Passport Req..
05-11-2014 Passport Reached:13-11-2014
VISA ISSUED...
27-11-2014 Passport Received:11-12-2014
LANDED..........
26-11-14
I have another type of problem. My mother's passport has been issued with her Maiden name. but in my record in Canada - her surname is given as my father's surname. can she apply for visa with her current passport?

sokosan

Aug 6, 2015
What do you mean by "in your record in Canada"?

Do you have some official document by which you can prove that she is your mother, where her name is given with her maiden name? For example, your birth certificate? If you have this, then you should be fine.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
DHAKA 2014 said:
I have another type of problem. My mother's passport has been issued with her Maiden name. but in my record in Canada - her surname is given as my father's surname. can she apply for visa with her current passport?
If your mom's passport was incorrectly issued with her maiden name (instead of her married name).... then recheck her passport application form to confirm that her correct name was written.... and submit an application to the passport authorities to issue a new passport booklet.

It would be best if she has a passport issued in her married name as it could cause problems later in many ways

deejey2328

Jul 2, 2018
I have a problem similar to that. My mother’s passport has her Married Surname, First and Maiden names. However, her visa only showed her Married Surname and First name. Does she still need to request for a reprint of her visa? Or she does not have to do so because her Surname and First name matched on both passport and visa? Please advise. Thank you!

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
I have a problem similar to that. My mother’s passport has her Married Surname, First and Maiden names. However, her visa only showed her Married Surname and First name. Does she still need to request for a reprint of her visa? Or she does not have to do so because her Surname and First name matched on both passport and visa? Please advise. Thank you!
She had to declare all aliases and previous names in her TRV application, but all these names won't be printed on the visa. No, a reprint is not required