+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Difference in Basic Residence & Physical Residence

punk

Feb 15, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am yet unsure about these two terms.
Basic Residence & Physical Residence. Can any one clarify these ?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Basic residence is how long you've been a permanent resident of Canada. Physical residence is the days you've actually lived in Canada. You need to meet both requirements to apply for citizenship. If you apply for citizenship and only meet the basic residency requirements (but not the physical residency requirements) - then you can expect your application to be refused.

punk

Feb 15, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So is there a chance people get accepted with Basic residence ?

How can this even happen ?

Empirical-Scientist

Jun 4, 2012
punk said:

That can happen only if you never left Canada (for more than one day to the US), in which case basic residence equals physical residence.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
punk said:

You need to meet the physical residency requirements. Meeting basic residency isn't enough.

punk

Feb 15, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sorry but i am still confused. If there has always been a physical residency requirement, why was the wording changed from basic residency to physical residency ?

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
punk said:
Sorry but i am still confused. If there has always been a physical residency requirement, why was the wording changed from basic residency to physical residency ?
I don't know why or when the wording was changed, but in the past there were cases when people applied for citizenship with full basic residency, but very little physical residency. One example was a permanent resident who went to college in the United States and applied for Canadian citizenship after spending only a few hundred days (possibly under 300, can't remember the exact amount) in Canada. In these cases, citizenship was granted by the discretion of a citizenship judge, and I believe this practice was pretty unpopular among Canadians. CIC's current practice is to not do this, and people who apply with less than 1095 days -- even if it is just a few days less -- will find themselves either refused, or shunted into the RQ processing stream for extended processing followed by a probable refusal. People who have a real reason why they will never be able to accumulate 1095 days (airline pilots, maybe others) might be able to succeed in these circumstances -- but that is not the same as a student who studies in a foreign country. A consultant who travels a lot would have to make a compelling case as to their ties in Canada, and I don't know if that sort of application could succeed.

Empirical-Scientist

Jun 4, 2012
punk said:
No need to be confused. Basic residence is the time elapsed since the moment you landed. Physical residence counts the number of days you've been in Canada for a time windows of 4 years. That's it.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
punk said:
The wording wasn't changed. Basic and physical residency are two different things. See my first answer to your post above.

punk

Feb 15, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This was my point. I travel a lot but I am owner of a company based in Canada. So in case of basic residence, I can just mention, that I have been paying rental, insurance and other expenses in Canada because I was tied to Canada can qualify if the judge agrees?

Now i started to hate C-24 more and more

Empirical-Scientist

Jun 4, 2012
punk said:
This was my point. I travel a lot but I am owner of a company based in Canada. So in case of basic residence, I can just mention, that I have been paying rental, insurance and other expenses in Canada because I was tied to Canada can qualify if the judge agrees?

Now i started to hate C-24 more and more
Not sure how physical residency is affected, but they can find out that you were not physically present in Canada through the CBSA report.

punk

Feb 15, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have no intention to lie in my application, but if law provides some flexibility will use it. In either case, C24 have affected me, so I feel bad

Empirical-Scientist

Jun 4, 2012
punk said:
I have no intention to lie in my application, but if law provides some flexibility will use it. In either case, C24 have affected me, so I feel bad
One can only hope the residency provision of C-24 won't come into effect until, say, 2016, but that's not too safe an assumption. We're all frustrated...

punk

Feb 15, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Empirical-Scientist said:
One can only hope the residency provision of C-24 won't come into effect until, say, 2016, but that's not too safe an assumption. We're all frustrated...
:( Hope it works out as we planned