+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Difference between Software Engineer and a Computer Programmer

Nov 15, 2017
Hi Everybody,

I am planning to immigrate to Canada through the Federal Skilled Worker Program. I want to use my current role of a data scientist as the primary occupation but since there is no applicable NOC for the same i have to decide between 2173 and 2174 which are for software engineers and computer programmers respectively.

I would like to know what are the differences between these two jobs in terms of work duties, license (if required) and any other difference worth knowing.

If anybody knows anything about this subject then please feel free to comment your views.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Maybe clarify what exactly does a data scientist role do not a term I have heard having worked in IT for many years although maybe the company I worked for had them but not in any area I came into contact with. Knowing your current role may help assess the differences.

Nov 15, 2017
Maybe clarify what exactly does a data scientist role do not a term I have heard having worked in IT for many years although maybe the company I worked for had them but not in any area I came into contact with. Knowing your current role may help assess the differences.
My job responsibilities are:
1.Actively collaborate with business analysts, product management, operations teams and other stake holders for delivering machine learning software systems.
2.Data mining on large data sets residing in different data stores in disparate formats.
3.Processing, cleansing, and verifying the integrity of data used for analysis.
4.Provide expertise on statistical / mathematical concepts for identified problems and provide appropriate models to solve them.
5.Identify, develop and deliver predictive analytics driven products and solutions using big data technologies.
6.Move seamlessly between statistical modelling and software development.
7.Analyzing technical aspects of the project and advising architectural team on the selection of technology stack.