+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Difference between PGWP and PR

maxi.khan

Star Member
Apr 30, 2012
Hi, Dear Seniors, i would like to ask you:
1) the difference in applying PGWP and PR?
2) if some has done 2 year course + 1 year of work experience so for how long he/she can get the PGWP?
3) When after PGWP can someone apply for PR?
4) Or any alternative to apply directly for PR before getting PGWP?

Please seniors help me on it, as you have seen that i have a confusion on this area.
Thanks a lot!

Robb

Star Member
Jul 9, 2012
Dhaka, Bangladesh
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-06-2012
AOR Received.
04-07-2012
Hi,

1. PGWP = Post graduate work permit, PR = Permanent residence. PGWP is a requisite for getting PR after studying into a Post Graduate program from a Canadian institute.

2. With a 2 years course, some one can gain 2/3 years work experience, but only for once. No experience is needed for a PGWP, it only requires completion of a post-graduate course from an affiliated institute. An important fact is that, PGWP is given only once. So if you apply for PGWP once, you can not re-apply again even if you take another post-graduate study program later on.

3. Depends on which route you choose for PR. There are different length of experience requirements by PNP (Provincial nominee program) program by different provinces and other PR routes i.e: CEC (Canadian experience class). You can search with google for specific requirements.

4. You can not apply for PR Without experience. If you want to go for higher studies and get PR, you must need Canadian work experience. And for Canadian experience, you must get a work permit first.

Hope that helps.

maxi.khan

Star Member
Apr 30, 2012
Hi, Thanks alot Robb that's really cleared a confusion and mess from my mind, but for the 4th point u made, i just want to share that i have read that we can still get PR without the work experince under Ontario Opportunities: Provincial Nominee Program as they didn't mentioned experience, just a Masters Degree from Ontario's public funded universities and colleges.

http://www.ontarioimmigration.ca/en/pnp/OI_PNPSTUDENTS_MASTERSAPPLY.html#_qualify

please reply...thanks

Robb

Star Member
Jul 9, 2012
Dhaka, Bangladesh
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-06-2012
AOR Received.
04-07-2012
maxi.khan said:
Hi, Thanks alot Robb that's really cleared a confusion and mess from my mind, but for the 4th point u made, i just want to share that i have read that we can still get PR without the work experince under Ontario Opportunities: Provincial Nominee Program as they didn't mentioned experience, just a Masters Degree from Ontario's public funded universities and colleges.

http://www.ontarioimmigration.ca/en/pnp/OI_PNPSTUDENTS_MASTERSAPPLY.html#_qualify

please reply...thanks
Hi, thanks maxi, actually i knew about the Ontario opportunities for masters/ phd graduates, but i forgot to mention about it in my 4th point. Yes, you are absolutely right, for a masters/ phd graduates work experience is not required.

dawood2k

Star Member
May 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
maxi.khan said:
Hi, Dear Seniors, i would like to ask you:
1) the difference in applying PGWP and PR?
2) if some has done 2 year course + 1 year of work experience so for how long he/she can get the PGWP?
3) When after PGWP can someone apply for PR?
4) Or any alternative to apply directly for PR before getting PGWP?

Please seniors help me on it, as you have seen that i have a confusion on this area.
Thanks a lot!
PGWP is post graduation work permit which is issued after the sucessfull completion of ur program of study

PR is permanent resident you can apply for permanent residence when ur running on PGWP in canada

maxi.khan

Star Member
Apr 30, 2012
Thanks Robb and dawood:)
so Ontario PNP is actually easy and recommended for those who are interested to do Masters from Ontario, isn't? But for how long the Master's program should be? Does it need to be atleast one year only?
Also please recommend me some colleges which offer Master's and are affiliated with some universities. I am interested to do MSc in Finance and Accounting or MBA as i am about to finish my ACCA and BSc in Applied Accounting from london INSHALLAH by August & September respectively.

dawood2k

Star Member
May 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
maxi.khan said:
so Ontario PNP is actually easy and recommended for those who are interested to do Masters from Ontario, isn't? But for how long the Master's program should be? Does it need to be atleast one year only?
Also please recommend me some colleges which offer Master's and are affiliated with some universities. I am interested to do MSc in Finance and Accounting or MBA as i am about to finish my ACCA and BSc in Applied Accounting from london INSHALLAH by August & September respectively.
FOR MBA :-

1. Richard Ivey School of Business at the University of Western Ontario

2. Schulich School of Business, York University, Toronto, Canada

3. Queen’s School of Business, Queen’s University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada

FOR MSc FINANCE:-

1. York University
2. University of Waterloo
3. Wilfrid Laurier University

Regards,

Dawood2k

Robb

Star Member
Jul 9, 2012
Dhaka, Bangladesh
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-06-2012
AOR Received.
04-07-2012
maxi.khan said:
Although the rules are seem to be easy, I heard from personal sources, living in Canada, that Ontario PNP is expensive, it needs a long time to be processed. Masters programs are usually 1 year and over.

A list of CIC affiliated institutes can be found from here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/institutions/participants.asp

They call it participating institutes and you need to make sure that your institute is listed here because, it is mandatory for getting PGWP. I would recommend you to choose an university for your desired course from the list.

maxi.khan

Star Member
Apr 30, 2012
Thanks a million dawood n Robb:)
I'll contact these colleges n university shortly n will see what they offer and what is duration for the course, and to Robb yeah i'll definitely look for these institutions i.e. from the list.....but will i be eligible for PNP if my Master's course is for 1 year and if not so what do i have to do than to get PGWP after 1 Year Masters??

Robb

Star Member
Jul 9, 2012
Dhaka, Bangladesh
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-06-2012
AOR Received.
04-07-2012
maxi.khan said:
Thanks a million dawood n Robb:)
I'll contact these colleges n university shortly n will see what they offer and what is duration for the course, and to Robb yeah i'll definitely look for these institutions i.e. from the list.....but will i be eligible for PNP if my Master's course is for 1 year and if not so what do i have to do than to get PGWP after 1 Year Masters??
Yes, you will be eligible for PNP nomination even if your masters is for 1 year.

For PNP, your institution must be eligible publicly funded university.

What you can do is complete your masters, apply for PNP and PGWP. PNP needs time for processing and therefore you will need a thought there to alocate enough time to remain in Canada untill the decision is made. You will get your PGWP after completing your Masters... just keep in mind that you'll have to be graduated from their affiliated institutes for PGWP.

maxi.khan

Star Member
Apr 30, 2012
Ohh yes, i am actually looking for a institute that would qualify for both PGWP and PNP Ontario eligible institutes, from the list you have provided me and from Ontario PNP eligible institutes.

The list of universities which dawood provided me are way to expensive for me, i can't afford some thing like that i.e. over $45000 fees. Please give me the list of reasonable colleges and universities please.
I found university of Ottawa but its admission requirement is looking a bit tough, and is there;s any college/ university that give admission in MSc in Finance and Accounting or MBA without GMAT?

Thanks a ton!! Cheers

Robb

Star Member
Jul 9, 2012
Dhaka, Bangladesh
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-06-2012
AOR Received.
04-07-2012
Yes, most of the universities, that are in high rank are expensive. Most of them have a high requirement for admission as well.

In addition, most of the well recognized institutes (i.e University of Ottawa ) will require GMAT and work experience for MBA.

Check out the admission requirements from the respective institute's name from participating institutes' link that i have given earlier.

H

HBK

maxi.khan said:
and is there;s any college/ university that give admission in MSc in Finance and Accounting or MBA without GMAT?

Thanks a ton!! Cheers
For MBA some universities wiaves GMAT
VIU
FDU
University of canada west....
all are (mentioned)low grade universities (not recommanded)
TWu 0intentational MBA