+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Difference between letter of employment and employer reference letter

ryanian

Jan 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi everyone,

I'm gathering all documents to upload for EE application. However, I found a letter of employment and an employer reference letter need to be prepared.
I don't know any difference between letter of employment and reference letter from employer.

Could you explain to me?

Thanks! :)

john1818

Star Member
Feb 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ryanian said:
Hi everyone,

I'm gathering all documents to upload for EE application. However, I found a letter of employment and an employer reference letter need to be prepared.
I don't know any difference between letter of employment and reference letter from employer.

Could you explain to me?

Thanks! :)
Letter of employment refers to the job offer letter. The initial letter that was given to you when you got the job. Job reference letter is the one that you get recently from your employer that describes your salary, number of hours, job status, job duties, benefits. A lot of people don't have letter of employment, even if you don't have one just upload the letter of explanation about it. Or may be you could call CIC and ask for their opinion.

cosgrec

Star Member
Jan 27, 2015
john1818 said:
Letter of employment refers to the job offer letter. The initial letter that was given to you when you got the job. Job reference letter is the one that you get recently from your employer that describes your salary, number of hours, job status, job duties, benefits. A lot of people don't have letter of employment, even if you don't have one just upload the letter of explanation about it. Or may be you could call CIC and ask for their opinion.
There are 3 things I need to provide from my current employer:

1. Employment Records - Reference Letter (Your evidence should include a reference letter from your employer and previous pay stubs, where available. The reference letter is an official document printed on company letterhead and must include your name, the company’s contact information (address, telephone number and e-mail address), the signature of your immediate supervisor or personnel officer at the company and a business card of the person signing the letter. The letter should indicate all positions held while employed at the company and must include the following details: job title, duties/responsibilities, job status (if current job), the dates you worked for the company, the number of work hours per week and your annual salary plus benefits.)

2. Offer of Employment - (You must provide an official document from your proposed employer, printed on company letterhead, stating that you will be employed in Canada for a specified period of time by that company. The letter should include contact information for the company (address, telephone number and e-mail address).)

3. Letter of Employment - No explanation whatsoever.

rams2me

Star Member
Oct 30, 2014
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
SYDNEY
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Letter of employment : Offer letter from the company (which states you date of joining and per hr wages)
Reference letter: Experience letter from employment.

Offer letter differs from company to company
reference letter for CIC has some specific format . attach below for reference.

<DATE>

To Whom It May Concern:

Subject: Re: <NAME> – NOC <CODE>

I write to confirm that <NAME> has been working with<COMPANY NAME> as <ROLE>since <JOINING DATE> and works 40 hours per week under NOC <CODE> .His current gross salary <SALARY> per annum. He has been reporting to me till date and he is performing following roles and responsibilities as part of his daily work.

The primary duties performed by him during this tenure are listed below.

Role: <CURRENT ROLE> (<DESCRIPTION>)

Responsibilities:
• <JOB DESCRIPTION>.
• <RESPONSIBILITIES>
• <RESPONSIBILITIES>
• <RESPONSIBILITIES>
• <RESPONSIBILITIES>
• <RESPONSIBILITIES>
Please contact me should you require further information.

Sincerely

<MANAGER/HR NAME>,
<ROLE>
<Mobile>:
<Work>:
<Email>:
<website>

cosgrec

Star Member
Jan 27, 2015
rams2me said:
Letter of employment : Offer letter from the company (which states you date of joining and per hr wages)
Reference letter: Experience letter from employment.

Offer letter differs from company to company
reference letter for CIC has some specific format . attach below for reference.

<DATE>

To Whom It May Concern:

Subject: Re: <NAME> – NOC <CODE>

I write to confirm that <NAME> has been working with<COMPANY NAME> as <ROLE>since <JOINING DATE> and works 40 hours per week under NOC <CODE> .His current gross salary <SALARY> per annum. He has been reporting to me till date and he is performing following roles and responsibilities as part of his daily work.

The primary duties performed by him during this tenure are listed below.

Role: <CURRENT ROLE> (<DESCRIPTION>)

Responsibilities:
• <JOB DESCRIPTION>.
• <RESPONSIBILITIES>
• <RESPONSIBILITIES>
• <RESPONSIBILITIES>
• <RESPONSIBILITIES>
• <RESPONSIBILITIES>
Please contact me should you require further information.

Sincerely

<MANAGER/HR NAME>,
<ROLE>
<Mobile>:
<Work>:
<Email>:
<website>
There are 3 things I need to provide from my current employer:

1. Employment Records - Reference Letter (Your evidence should include a reference letter from your employer and previous pay stubs, where available. The reference letter is an official document printed on company letterhead and must include your name, the company's contact information (address, telephone number and e-mail address), the signature of your immediate supervisor or personnel officer at the company and a business card of the person signing the letter. The letter should indicate all positions held while employed at the company and must include the following details: job title, duties/responsibilities, job status (if current job), the dates you worked for the company, the number of work hours per week and your annual salary plus benefits.)

2. Offer of Employment - (You must provide an official document from your proposed employer, printed on company letterhead, stating that you will be employed in Canada for a specified period of time by that company. The letter should include contact information for the company (address, telephone number and e-mail address).)

3. Letter of Employment - No explanation whatsoever.

ngelsa

Dec 4, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 18, 2015 (EE) / Sept 18, 2014 (PNP)
Doc's Request.
May 4, 2015 (EE) / June 11, 2015 (PNP)
Nomination.....
Sept 12, 2014 (SINP)
AOR Received.
Feb 18, 2015 (EE) / Feb 16, 2015 (PNP)
IELTS Request
CELPIP submitted with both EE and PNP applications
Med's Request
March 6, 2015 (PNP)
Med's Done....
Feb 6, 2015
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
Jul 15, 2015 (EE)
LANDED..........
Aug 26, 2015 (EE)
john1818 said:
Google is your best friend. Letter of Employment = Employment Verification/Confirmation Letter which not quite the same as a Job Offer Letter nor is it the same as the reference letter (if it is then you wouldn't have to upload it again as a separate document).

Generally speaking, it is a letter confirming that you are currently working at X company located in Y for Z amount of time at current wage & receiving current benefits. You don't need to list the responsibilities (which is part of the reference letter). It is also the same document you show to your landlord when you apply to rent an apartment.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
ryanian said:
It will not help you to give generic definitions. Each program has its own specifications. FSW, CEC, and FST have different requirements. So without knowing which program you are interested in, we can't give a suitable answer.

You can find more information on what exactly is required in each program's document checklist. You can google, for example, "CIC CEC document checklist" and find it online.

ngelsa

Dec 4, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 18, 2015 (EE) / Sept 18, 2014 (PNP)
Doc's Request.
May 4, 2015 (EE) / June 11, 2015 (PNP)
Nomination.....
Sept 12, 2014 (SINP)
AOR Received.
Feb 18, 2015 (EE) / Feb 16, 2015 (PNP)
IELTS Request
CELPIP submitted with both EE and PNP applications
Med's Request
March 6, 2015 (PNP)
Med's Done....
Feb 6, 2015
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
Jul 15, 2015 (EE)
LANDED..........
Aug 26, 2015 (EE)
jes_ON said:
It will not help you to give generic definitions. Each program has its own specifications. FSW, CEC, and FST have different requirements. So without knowing which program you are interested in, we can't give a suitable answer.

You can find more information on what exactly is required in each program's document checklist. You can google, for example, "CIC CEC document checklist" and find it online.
The Letter of Employment, Reference Letter and Job Offer Letter have the same requirements for all EE Programs. It is the fact that people are not familiar with the term Letter of Employment and does not want to Google that is causing the confusion. The reason why there is no extra instruction given by CIC on this Letter of Employment because the term itself is self explanatory.

jrgongon

Feb 2, 2015
Philippines
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
does my spouse also needs a reference letter or only the pricipal applicant?

kryt0n

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
Passport Req..
11-07-2017
Erm...how important do you reckon the business card is?

What if your employer doesn't have one??

sjrohit

Star Member
Sep 3, 2014
do I need to collect all these letter for all the employers you ever worked for? or only for the current employer?

I am currently working in Canada on a work permit, before this i worked in India for about 10 years at different companies. Problem is, i don't think I will be able to provide all types of letters for all the employers whom I worked for in India.

Any advise? suggestions?

Thanks

Rohit

insouciant

Star Member
Jan 2, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello..

I worked at my previous company for around 1.4 years. i worked as Trainee engineer for the initial 6 months and after that i got permanent with the position of Jr.Engineer. So my question is, do i need to mention both designations in my EE profile.

Kindly answer.

thoreau911

Apr 12, 2015
kryt0n said:
Erm...how important do you reckon the business card is?

What if your employer doesn't have one??
If your prior employer doesn't have a business card, you're not worthy enough to move to Canada.

Just kidding. Just make sure to provide as much information as you can. The end goal of this exercise is to prove you were not lying on your experience claim.

Hope this helps.

Pippin

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2010
sjrohit said:
do I need to collect all these letter for all the employers you ever worked for? or only for the current employer?

I am currently working in Canada on a work permit, before this i worked in India for about 10 years at different companies. Problem is, i don't think I will be able to provide all types of letters for all the employers whom I worked for in India.

Any advise? suggestions?

Thanks

Rohit
If your job duties fell into skill level O A or B and you wish to claim credit for that period of work, you will need this letter for proof.