+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Did spouses gain Canadian or British citizenship by marrying a Canadian citizen before 1947?

arthurw

Feb 4, 2021
Did my mother gain Canadian or British citizenship when she married my Canadian father in 1937? She always believed this made her a dual Canadian and US citizen, and she never gave this up.

In 1940 my father became a US citizen. I don't know if he voluntarily gave up his Canadian citizenship at that time (where do I find that possible record?). My mother thought she was still a dual citizen of both countries.

I was born in 1943 in the US. Would my father's Canadian citizenship or my mother's possible continuing Canadian or British citizenship mean that I am now a Canadian or British citizen?

hawk39

Mar 26, 2017
Because you posted a similar thread, I answered your first two questions over there.
Would my father's Canadian citizenship or my mother's possible continuing Canadian or British citizenship mean that I am now a Canadian or British citizen?
Even if your mother was able to keep British subject status, British citizenship by descent at that time is only passed down through the father, so you don't have a claim for British citizenship through her.