+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Did not include nickname in citizenship application

filosofer

Feb 6, 2013
I asked this question on one of the Oct threads, but no response.

I did not include any nickname in my citizenship application. This is the name I use for work (because my actual name is hard to pronounce). However, I did not add this nickname in the application itself. I don't know if this was a mistake or if I'm overthinking this. Note that I don't have ANY legal documentation of my nickname. Just something "English sounding" that people call me at work.

I have my test date soon...and the interview will be after the test. Will this be a problem??

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014

I did not include any nickname in my citizenship application. This is the name I use for work (because my actual name is hard to pronounce). However, I did not add this nickname in the application itself. I don't know if this was a mistake or if I'm overthinking this. Note that I don't have ANY legal documentation of my nickname. Just something "English sounding" that people call me at work.

I have my test date soon...and the interview will be after the test. Will this be a problem??
If your nickname is not legally documented anywhere, then I don't think it would be a problem. Just my opinion.

ChippyBoy

Dec 5, 2016

I think that I did actually read somewhere in & among the Instructions that we're supposed to provide any nicknames that we're either currently known by or that we've been known by as adults in the past, even in our own originating countries. So, if I were you, I'd seriously consider sending in an IRCC 'WebForm' thing in order to have your nickname(s) added onto your file.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Application form CIT 0002 (10-2017) Item 6. explicitly instructs the applicant to list all names including "nicknames." In the drop down "help" instructions it explicitly refers to "nick names" (two words . . . not sure why there is a difference). And the drop down "Details" box, for the "Why was this name used" column, one of the choices is "Nick name."

So, obviously, the applicant is instructed to disclose any nicknames or nick name in Item 6. Impossible to miss this if one so much as glances at what it says in Item 6.

But how significant is a failure to disclose a nickname? Perhaps hardly at all significant, depending on when and how it was used, for how long, in what contexts, and who used or knew the applicant's nickname.

If the nickname is one that has been used with any regularity outside close family and friends, it is at least something to disclose in the interview. If it is a name the applicant has more broadly been known by, and especially if it is a name used in written or email correspondence or such (for me, for example, my church records refer to my nickname rather than my given name), then as others have suggested a more formal disclosure of it would be the safe thing to do, by notifying IRCC of the omission and correction . . . but if the test is scheduled real soon, perhaps present the correction then, during the interview.

If, however, it is a nick name only used by a small circle of people and not in any formal context, the applicant may just be prepared to acknowledge it and answer questions about it if it comes up during the interview.

Some more in-depth observations (the long answer):

Again, as to how big a deal it is to not disclose a nickname, like many of these matters, that undoubtedly DEPENDS on the circumstances, including the extent to which the nick name was used but also when and the context in which it was used.

A friend of mine, born on Halloween, was called "Spooky" until he was five or six years old. There were isolated occasions over the course of the next half century when, largely in jest, people (especially his family) called him "Spooky." If he failed to disclose this as one of his nicknames I am confident that would be NO problem, no problem at all. In fact, it would probably be silly to include this as one of his nicknames.

But if Robert Applicantguy is largely known at work as "Bob," and email to Robert Applicantguy is commonly addressed to "Bob," or he is commonly referred to as "Bob" in email (and especially so if in written correspondence) or if Bob regularly puts "Bob" as his name in work email, obviously that is a nickname which it is more important to divulge.

It is very difficult if not impossible to forecast how divulging a nick name at this stage might affect processing. Again, it probably varies, it most likely DEPENDS. My impression is that if and when IRCC does any collateral research about an individual, including queries into GCMS connected-databases as well as background clearances, they typically search for common variations in names anyway . . . thus, for example, if for some reason a processing agent queries LinkedIn regarding Robert Applicantguy, my impression is they will also do the query for Bob Applicantguy, Bobby or Bobbie Applicantguy, Rob Applicantguy, Robby or Robbie Applicantguy, and so on. And again the background (criminal and security) checks almost certainly should involve screening for common name variations (if they do not, that would a form of negligence). So divulging "Bob" Applicantguy as a nick name at or just before the interview probably does not trigger additional research using the nick name (since they have probably done it already anyway). In contrast, if IRCC just learns that an applicant, again say Robert Applicantguy, is largely known at work and in work-related contexts, by an unexpected nick name such as "Jake" Applicantguy, or say "Skip" Applicantguy, that could trigger additional background checks for the disclosed nickname.

Greg220

Feb 4, 2018
This is just what I wanted to ask.

My full name is Gregoris, and it is listed in all official documents.
But lots of people in Canada call me just Greg. Even my business email is greg@******.com and my business card says only Greg Surname.
It is much easier for people to correlate.

So I should probably list it as my nick name in the application?
I was trying to figure out difference between nickname and alias.

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
This is just what I wanted to ask.

My full name is Gregoris, and it is listed in all official documents.
But lots of people in Canada call me just Greg. Even my business email is greg@******.com and my business card says only Greg Surname.
It is much easier for people to correlate.

So I should probably list it as my nick name in the application?
I was trying to figure out difference between nickname and alias.
Yes, you should.

canada@2011

Jan 30, 2018
oops!!!1...i did the same mistake then....My legal first name is xxxxxkumar (long) but people usually call me part of my first name xxxxx.. should i inform IRCC about this??... also i did not mention about this in PR application..so mentioning now can cause any problems??

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
At the risk of getting all-too-technical for the non-technical, or trying to teach what is unteachable (as in common-sense).

Item 6 in the current application is NOT a trick question. Honest disclosure is the guide.

Nick names should be disclosed in the application. Item 6 in the current application clearly instructs applicants to list nick names.

There is no nick name science or official registry. No nick name police.

Again, honest disclosure is the guide. Such information is not governed by technical definitions.

In the abstract there are no right or wrong answers for items like this. For a specific individual, however, there is the truthful, honest response, versus a deceptive omission. "Little Bill," as his friends tend to call the big guy, is probably OK leaving out "Little Bill" in his list of other names.

There is common sense (and, apparently, all too often, the absence of common sense). "Little Bill," as his friends tend to call the big guy, is probably OK leaving out "Little Bill" in his list of other names.

In the abstract there are no right or wrong answers for items like this. For a specific individual, again, there is the truthful, honest response, versus a deceptive omission. If Gregory Applename has a LinkedIn account under "Greg Applename," he should have disclosed "Greg Applename" in the list of other names he has used. Whether he checks "alias" or "nick name" in the pull down menu should have virtually NO import.

IRCC is not looking for or interested in technically correct responses to items like this. Honest disclosure is the guide.

Thus, no advanced degrees in anthropology or linguistics necessary, no technical engineering necessary, to discern the difference between omitting a pet name, an expression of affection, or a humorous friendly name used by close family and friends, versus a name a person is otherwise known by. Generally, if it shows up in writing or digital communications, better to disclose it in responding to item 6, but the failure to disclose it is PROBABLY not a problem unless that failure is deceptive, unless the failure to disclose it is a failure to reveal a name the person has used in some formal context or is otherwise known by.

Did I mention that honest disclosure is the guide? It is.

So, back to "Little Bill," as his friends tend to call the big guy, he is probably OK leaving out "Little Bill" in his list of other names. If the name on his birth certificate or passport is "William," he probably should list "Bill" in item 6. BUT if only his friends ever call him "Bill" and he goes by "William" in all formal and business and official contexts, probably not a big deal if he did not list "Bill," let alone "Little Bill." However, if he has ever had a drivers license or passport or business license listing his name as "Bill," even if all his more recent documentation all has "William," he better disclose "Bill" as another name used. Common sense.

In the meantime, if Gregory Applename has utilities or a rental or a telephone listed under "Greg Applename," again he should disclose "Greg" as another name he has used. But if in every formal relationship and transaction his name is "Gregory," and he did not disclose "Greg" as another name he has used or is known by, the fact that family and friends refer to him as "Greg" is no big deal. Better to have disclosed it. No problem he failed to disclose it. Common sense lurking around here somewhere.

Consider, for example, "Gregory" does not list "Greg" as another name used. But Gregory gets a request to submit documentation supporting his address history, but his rental agreement refers to him as "Greg." I am guessing that this discrepancy will not be too problematic, but if there are other credibility concerns, other failures to disclose what should have been disclosed, a bureaucratic processing agent is more likely to start connecting dots which spell suspicion. No technical engineering necessary to read this blueprint.

What it is and what it PROBABLY is:

"Probably" pops up a lot above and should also be understood in many of the other propositions stated. This subject, nick names, is not like listing travel dates. When the applicant exited Canada on April 6, 2016, he left Canada on April 6, 2016, and it is wrong to not accurately disclose that date of exit. No "probably" at play.

If an applicant has ever had any formal documents (passport, drivers license, business license, bank accounts) with a name different than what the applicant has entered as his name in the application, no "probably" at play; a failure to disclose that name would be misrepresentation by omission.

But for nick names, as in informally used names, informally known as names, "probably" this or that hangs all over it. Did I mention "common sense?" Did I emphasize "honest disclosure is the guide?"

To correct or not to correct:

Whether the applicant who failed to disclose a nick name in the application should rush to correct this, such as submitting a correction via the webform, is thus a very personal decision. Generally there is no need to rush to make a correction of every minor mistake made in the application. If, however, the omission looms as potentially perceived as a material misrepresentation, better to correct sooner rather than later. As it is often the case: IT DEPENDS. Personally I tend to think it is better to let the system do its thing with MINIMAL interruptions along the way; that is, once the cake is in the oven, not a good idea to try adding some sugar later. That is, once the application is submitted, better to leave it alone if possible. But if information in the application could be perceived to be deceptive, including by omission, then that is something better to correct sooner rather than later. This is a judgment call.

Footnote:

"Baby" may be its own case. You are who you are and it is not a good idea to conceal who you are. So if it fits, wear it. (See definitions by Al Franken, from his comic-writer days, to put this one in context.)

Reactions: MohamedWalid