+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Did Anyone Else Pay the Ridiculous Fee to Renounce Indian Citizenship?

Drea

Star Member
Dec 3, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
NOC Code......
0632 | 4131
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-05-09
Doc's Request.
16-07-09
AOR Received.
22-12-09
IELTS Request
16-07-09
Med's Request
20-05-10
Med's Done....
13-06-10
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
07-07-10
VISA ISSUED...
30-07-10
LANDED..........
13-12-10
Just wanted to find out other former Indians' experiences about renouncing Indian citizenship after obtaining a Canadian one.
Please share!

Donvalley

Oct 14, 2013
Toronto - Downtown
Visa Office......
................. [b]e-CAS[/b] (electronic Client Application Status) login : http://goo.gl/dQFOk
NOC Code......
................. [b]How to login e-cas[/b] using client ID: http://imgbox.com/hhIMgYf5
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
................. [b]Case Specific Enquiry[/b]: http://goo.gl/yCBCbB
Well, it's a clear daylight robbery but what can us do if we ever wish to visit India again? So in short; everyone paid.

At least now they reduced the fee a little bit, also the procedure is clear, published, available online and streamlined through agencies almost everywhere.
Earlier when I applied, submitting the application, let alone even getting into office was a nightmare. Everyone then made multiple trips, many slept over there in front of the building to make sure their spot to confirm admission inside next morning.

"Mera Bharat Mahan"

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
It can't be worse than what Americans need to do to renounce their citizenship!

Drea

Star Member
Dec 3, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
NOC Code......
0632 | 4131
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-05-09
Doc's Request.
16-07-09
AOR Received.
22-12-09
IELTS Request
16-07-09
Med's Request
20-05-10
Med's Done....
13-06-10
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
07-07-10
VISA ISSUED...
30-07-10
LANDED..........
13-12-10
Donvalley said:
Well, it's a clear daylight robbery but what can us do if we ever wish to visit India again? So in short; everyone paid.

At least now they reduced the fee a little bit, also the procedure is clear, published, available online and streamlined through agencies almost everywhere.
Earlier when I applied, submitting the application, let alone even getting into office was a nightmare. Everyone then made multiple trips, many slept over there in front of the building to make sure their spot to confirm admission inside next morning.

"Mera Bharat Mahan"
Oh my.... :-\

YorkFactory

Oct 18, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
keesio said:
Yes, but Americans don't have to, since the U.S. allows multiple citizenship.

gte439u

Sep 27, 2013
YorkFactory said:
Yes, but Americans don't have to, since the U.S. allows multiple citizenship.
The US only taxes its citizens abroad and makes them comply with absurd banking disclosure laws as if Canada is the same as some tropical tax haven.

arambi

Aug 16, 2014
keesio said:
There is a good reason for high fee to renounce American citizenship.
Americans believe that their citizenship has by far the highest value of all citizenship because it's give you protection and help you accumulate wealth. That's why one has to pay huge fee or exit tax on the wealth they have accumulated why enjoying the benefits of America passport before they ca renounce American citizenship

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
arambi said:
There is a good reason for high fee to renounce American citizenship.
Americans believe that their citizenship has by far the highest value of all citizenship because it's give you protection and help you accumulate wealth. That's why one has to pay huge fee or exit tax on the wealth they have accumulated why enjoying the benefits of America passport before they ca renounce American citizenship
Not just Citizens but they will also try to ding former Green Card holders also.

I wonder if all the people I read about on this forum looking to get TN visas to eventually secure a US green card or people looking to give birth to a child in the US understand the negative impact of doing this. There are still so many who are trying to do the "stepping stone to the US" thing.

arambi

Aug 16, 2014
keesio said:
Not just Citizens but they will also try to ding former Green Card holders also.

I wonder if all the people I read about on this forum looking to get TN visas to eventually secure a US green card or people looking to give birth to a child in the US understand the negative impact of doing this. There are still so many who are trying to do the "stepping stone to the US" thing.
Yes Green Card holders are also on the hook for huge Exit Tax for the same reasons. They built their wealth while enjoying what Americans legislators believe to be the benefits of Green Card holders.

catchvb

Oct 29, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am not sure why Indian cry about the fee. We do not cry when to pay thousands of $ to lawyer in USA/Canada and other fee. In my opinion application procedure is tiresome.
And yes renouncing US citizenship is crazy and ridiculous not only fee wise but also getting punished by tax and never ending IRS hook. Having dual citizenship does not save you from IRS.

Follow the guidelines and apply for surrender certificate with all the documents and you will be done in 8-10 week. Then apply for OCI and it will take 2-3 months.
Too much documentation. and time taking process. Make sure you have all the document listed in their checklist else you will make extra trip to the BLS office.

Any of members have idea about renouncing citizenship of other countries and trying to get life time visa/one time visa/PR after becoming citizen of another country? Please do some research, most of the other countries have worse process.

I wish India can adapt dual citizenship to get rid of tiresome documentation process.

Donvalley

Oct 14, 2013
Toronto - Downtown
Visa Office......
................. [b]e-CAS[/b] (electronic Client Application Status) login : http://goo.gl/dQFOk
NOC Code......
................. [b]How to login e-cas[/b] using client ID: http://imgbox.com/hhIMgYf5
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
................. [b]Case Specific Enquiry[/b]: http://goo.gl/yCBCbB
I don't know why and where people are paying thousands of $ to lawyer unless they have a solid reason; either something big to get, or get rid of.

When I went through the process years back, honestly I felt the paper work a complete bureaucratic mess and the $175 fee then, totally unreal (anything above $50 actually) for the work, both nonsense. All the work officer did was just browsed the PP in front of me and put two stamps in there and mailed a letter home later.
I really felt it absurd because developed country as Canada charged just $100 for the citizenship application then, on the other hand cancellation charge was almost double for a developing/third world country (no offense intended).

I don't know much about any other country process or fee and I am not bothered to know either that doesn't affect me anyway.

However things have improved much on both service and cost level at GOI missions abroad since then.