+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Diagnosed with new medical condition after getting COPR but before landing

focus1

Nov 10, 2018
I had a question, I was diagnosed with ADHD after getting my COPR, and have been prescribed with stimulant medication to treat it as needed. I will probably have to take this medication as needed on and off for the very long term.
My question is does this constitute a change in circumstances that I must report to IRCC before landing ? As far as I remember we only need to inform IRCC in case of marriage or major illness, however this is not a major illness IMO.
Also, the medication for this condition is a controlled substance by law in both Canada and US, and if I take my prescription and 30 day supply of medication from the US, do I have to declare it to CBSA ? Will this cause any problems and make me inadmissible because I was diagnosed after I got my COPR ?

Last edited:

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
I had a question, I was diagnosed with ADHD after getting my COPR, and have been prescribed with stimulant medication to treat it as needed. I will probably have to take this medication as needed on and off for the very long term.
My question is does this constitute a change in circumstances that I must report to IRCC before landing ? As far as I remember we only need to inform IRCC in case of marriage or major illness, however this is not a major illness IMO.
Also, the medication for this condition is a controlled substance by law in both Canada and US, and if I take my prescription and 30 day supply of medication from the US, do I have to declare it to CBSA ? Will this cause any problems and make me inadmissible because I was diagnosed after I got my COPR ?
As you say, this is not a "major" disease and it is not a danger to the Canadian public. Neither is it likely to trigger an "Excessive Demand" situation.
If I remember correctly, you can bring up to 90 days supply / one course of treatment (whichever is the shorter) of a prescription drug. You probably should declare it to Customs to be on the safe side.

kprs_ind

Apr 17, 2013
Chennai
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
02-08-2013
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
06-10-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
07-03-2014
Med's Done....
10-03-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
25-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
04-04-2014
LANDED..........
29-07-2014
You should get covered for the first 90 days after your landing as OHIP will not kick in until then. When are you planning to land in Canada and where?

focus1

Nov 10, 2018
As you say, this is not a "major" disease and it is not a danger to the Canadian public. Neither is it likely to trigger an "Excessive Demand" situation.
If I remember correctly, you can bring up to 90 days supply / one course of treatment (whichever is the shorter) of a prescription drug. You probably should declare it to Customs to be on the safe side.
I am still concerned about this because I wasn't taking any prescription medication at the time of the medical exam, but only started on treatment after getting my COPR. Between getting my COPR and landing, do I have to declare this to IRCC ? Or can I proceed for my landing directly ?
I read some about families who were denied a PR, when their child was diagnosed with this same condition. I just want to be really sure as to what the correct course of action should be here. Would love to hear if anyone else has been through the same situation.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Technically you could report your ADHD diagnosis. The cost of care shouldn't exceed 19k/year so it won't result in a refusal of your PR. Send a webform update if it makes you feel better. You should be aware that Canada doesn't have a national pharmacare program. You can bring a 90 day supply of medication with you along with the pharmacy label that should include your name, instructions and doctor's name. This is especially important because your meds are controlled substances. In most of the country you have to pay for your medication if you don't have extended health benefits through your job. Not all jobs offer a benefit plan. People on social assistance or seniors receive medication at a lower cost but not all medications are covered. The newer or more expensive medications are often not on the list. It may take a while to find GP accepting new patients so it should be a priority once you move so you can get in once you get coverage and get an RX after your 90 day supply runs out. Walk-in clinics may be unwilling to fill your Rx because it is a controlled substance. Access to psychiatrist can also be difficult so anticipate having your GP regulate your medication. There may be some group treatment. Things like psychologist are not covered and are usually covered under extended health benefits if you have a benefits package with your employer.