+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Devastated at how long it's taking ( over 4 months since passport request)

MofC2014

Star Member
Jan 17, 2014
Soleil2020 said:
D**n! There are some self-righteous, judgmental people in here! You don't even know me. How in the heck can you tell if I have the "right attitude" or not, just by some posts in this forum? You don't know what I am like in person or what I do from day to day.
And as far as living in Quebec goes, I get along very well here when I am here. I speak English AND French. Though French is my second language and not perfect,the people around here appreciate very much that I at least respect that French is spoken here. Most of the time, once they hear my accent, they are the ones who begin to kindly speak to me in English. I find the people around here are kind and accepting.

I don't know why people have to take the opportunity to take a jab at the Francophones. My family here is Franco.( my husband's and MY aunt,uncle, cousins) but most of them are bilingual. It's not a bad thing to learn to languages, by the way. You should try it. Just sayin'.
You are calling someone judgemental, but in fact you are the the one passing judgements. I will repeat your words, you do not know me. You have no idea that I am fluent in English, German, Russian, and learning actively learning French and Arabic. I agreed with QcOkie as you will find that while visiting QC you will get by, finding employment in many professions is quite difficult while not being fluently bilingual (myself included, I'd love to live there as it would be easier there for my husband to do his Master degree (much lower tuition as compared to other provinces and programs are in French, which is his mother tounge).

I understand people needing to vent, we all do this at times. And at the same time I was just stating my personal option at your comment, that "if you knew how difficult this immigration would be you would have chosen not to be with your husband". I can assure you that the part of immigrating (ie waiting for PR approval) is the easist part of immigrating to another country.

MofC2014

Star Member
Jan 17, 2014
Soleil2020 said:
Who are YOU to judge the sincerity of my relationship???
I meant what the more sensible person who responded said: In the very beginning, when we first met, we would have thought twice about getting involved with someone from another country. If we had stopped the progression of the relationship early on, we would have spared ourselves the hardship. If a friend or one of my children came to me and asked my opinion about whether or not they should get involved with someone from another country, I might advise against it. The immigration process is a painful one. That's just reality.

But it certainly doesn't mean we aren't sincere. How dare you claim to judge my relationship!
My husband and I love each other very much. All we want, now that we have each other, is to be together, like any other married couple would.
I reponded to your comment by giving my opinion. You do not have to read my opinion, or agree with it. Based on what you wrote I created an opinion about how you view your relationship, it is quite natural. I am sorry I offended you, it was not my intention. If you wrote the same type of statement ("if I knew how difficult this process would be I would have thought twice about continuing a relationship with my spouse" or something similar) on form IMM 5490 and a visa officer read it, they would deny your application and they would form the same opinion I did. Any stranger, someone who does not know the dynamics of your relationship will form this type of opinion based on your comments.

Soleil2020

Star Member
Jul 30, 2012
MofC2014 said:
I reponded to your comment by giving my opinion. You do not have to read my opinion, or agree with it. Based on what you wrote I created an opinion about how you view your relationship, it is quite natural. I am sorry I offended you, it was not my intention. If you wrote the same type of statement ("if I knew how difficult this process would be I would have thought twice about continuing a relationship with my spouse" or something similar) on form IMM 5490 and a visa officer read it, they would deny your application and they would form the same opinion I did. Any stranger, someone who does not know the dynamics of your relationship will form this type of opinion based on your comments.
That's just it. It is not your place to judge my relationship. Period. Anyone with common sense would understand what I meant by the comment I made.

Soleil2020

Star Member
Jul 30, 2012
MofC2014 said:
You are calling someone judgemental, but in fact you are the the one passing judgements. I will repeat your words, you do not know me. You have no idea that I am fluent in English, German, Russian, and learning actively learning French and Arabic. I agreed with QcOkie as you will find that while visiting QC you will get by, finding employment in many professions is quite difficult while not being fluently bilingual (myself included, I'd love to live there as it would be easier there for my husband to do his Master degree (much lower tuition as compared to other provinces and programs are in French, which is his mother tounge).

I understand people needing to vent, we all do this at times. And at the same time I was just stating my personal option at your comment, that "if you knew how difficult this immigration would be you would have chosen not to be with your husband". I can assure you that the part of immigrating (ie waiting for PR approval) is the easist part of immigrating to another country.
MofC2014 said:

QcOkie has no idea how I function in Quebec. I'm not just visiting for a weekend. I'm here for 6 months at a time when I can be, living and communicating with French speaking people every day. I'm not some tourist using a phrase book to get by.

Finally, I'm not judging you. What would I be judging you about? You're the one who cut right to declaring my relationship with my husband as insincere.

QuebecOkie

Champion Member
Sep 23, 2012
Very French Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-10-2012
AOR Received.
28-01-2013
Med's Done....
10-04-2013
Passport Req..
AIP 30-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM 30-08-2013
LANDED..........
10-10-2013
For the record, I judged no one. Just shared my opinion, based on my own experiences, that the Québécois are quite all right, as long as you make an effort to speak French and come at the whole thing with a good attitude. (Never judged anyone's attitude; I just know some Anglos here who make no effort and want to complain ceaselessly about Francophones. Also, *here* for me is a very, very French area, and I arrived with NO French and spent almost 5 months alone here at first.)

I'm not one to judge and compare miseries. My own process (inland) took just under a year in total. We were very lucky. I made multiple mistakes, that thanks to this forum we caught and rectified in time, and I'm thankful for a relatively smooth process. HOWEVER, it was one of the most difficult things I've ever had to cope with. The uncertainty, the worry, the inability to visit my family, the suddenly small, quiet, rather claustrophobic life after leaving a life filled with the boisterous laughter of many friends and family. I see some on this forum going through situations so seemingly endless and so disheartening I wonder how they manage to maintain hope. BUT their more heartbreaking situations don't mean I'm weak, or undeserving, or unworthy for crying my own tears. There were long months in the summer of 2013 when I was sure things would never be okay again, that this process would never end, that my family would eventually quit missing me, since it had been so long since I had seen them and been a part of their lives.

There are starving children out there. Yet I still reserve my right to b*tch when I get a bad meal at a restaurant.

oneandonly

Champion Member
Nov 9, 2012
Nov 29/13 PPR also asked for new police clearance
Dec 6/13 dropped off passport and new police clearance which is clear no criminal record at the embassy
Feb 1/14 ECAS changed from in process to decision made

What is taking so long for the vo to courier out the package?
Could we be denied still at this point even if there was no interview?

Thanks

Soleil2020

Star Member
Jul 30, 2012
There are starving children out there. Yet I still reserve my right to b*tch when I get a bad meal at a restaurant.
[/quote]

Indeed.

HoneyEllis

Star Member
May 17, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
SYD
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-06-2011
AOR Received.
15-08-2011
File Transfer...
10-08-2011
Med's Done....
08-04-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
29-08-2011
VISA ISSUED...
06-09-2011
LANDED..........
20-10-2011
Soleil,

Any news on your application yet? Any news from your lawyer?

Soleil2020

Star Member
Jul 30, 2012
HoneyEllis said:
Soleil,

Any news on your application yet? Any news from your lawyer?
No news on my application. No news from the lawyer. My husband and I went to see a local member of parliament to ask if they could just find out some answers for us so we can make some informed decisions about our lives. We found out that it will not be before mid July. There apparently is a second FBI check we weren't aware of and currently that is where the hold up is. There is apparently nothing anyone can do to know when the FBI will be finished. Then when it's finished the CSIS has to run a check. So, in a nutshell, the PM told us that when the Immigration office asked for my Passport copies back in August of 2013, (and everyone, even the woman at immigration thought it would only be weeks before I would land. )they just did it out of order. Seems they weren't supposed to ask for it yet.

Anyway, we are appreciative to at least have sort of an answer. Not happy that that answer is still not really knowing when it's going to be done. All we know is that it will NOT be before July.
So, this spring, I"m leaving my husband again, this time to try to find work in my home state back in the States. That will mean uncertainty of when we will be able to see each other again. ( I left my career in the States so I could be with him as much as possible, thinking it wouldn't be excruciatingly long.) Didn't think I'd finish grad school before I landed actually. I just finished grad school and simply can't just wait and wait around for the Canadian Immigration to tell me when I can have a life. ( Except what ever "life" i go find, will be without my husband.)

So, we are devastated. There are a lot of tears being shed between us. It's strange to be dreading spring, but as we head toward March, we are growing more and more sad. He needs me and I need him, but I've already left my career in the States and waited around to be able to work. The longer I remain unemployed the less employable I'm likely to be once they finally say I can stay.

I had intended to answer you in a short answer, but there are no short answers to this whole mess.

It just hurts. :'(

HoneyEllis

Star Member
May 17, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
SYD
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-06-2011
AOR Received.
15-08-2011
File Transfer...
10-08-2011
Med's Done....
08-04-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
29-08-2011
VISA ISSUED...
06-09-2011
LANDED..........
20-10-2011
That's too bad. :(
Take some consolation from the fact that at least you know that they are working on your file.
Good luck

Soleil2020

Star Member
Jul 30, 2012
HoneyEllis said:
That's too bad. :(
Take some consolation from the fact that at least you know that they are working on your file.
Good
That's a tiny consolation, but we'll take it.

Did I notice correctly that your application took only 4 months to complete from start to landing day? If I am not mistaken, how, in God's name, did you do that?

I'm really puzzled at the difference between cases and timelines. My case is just a "run of the mill, straightforward, spousal sponsorship"
( the attorney's words ).

We're just a boring little middle-aged couple with a goofy little slogan on the inside of our stainless steel wedding bands. " On est une equipe et on est fort " translated " We are a team and we are strong."

missmatalini

Mar 17, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
February 11th 2014
Doc's Request.
RPRF Requested July 15th 2014
AOR Received.
March 25th 2014
File Transfer...
March 28th 2014
Med's Request
July 15th 2014
Med's Done....
July 16th 2014
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
November 13th
LANDED..........
February 2nd 2015
Soleil2020 said:
Who are YOU to judge the sincerity of my relationship???
I meant what the more sensible person who responded said: In the very beginning, when we first met, we would have thought twice about getting involved with someone from another country. If we had stopped the progression of the relationship early on, we would have spared ourselves the hardship. If a friend or one of my children came to me and asked my opinion about whether or not they should get involved with someone from another country, I might advise against it. The immigration process is a painful one. That's just reality.

But it certainly doesn't mean we aren't sincere. How dare you claim to judge my relationship!
My husband and I love each other very much. All we want, now that we have each other, is to be together, like any other married couple would.
(Sorry to jump in here, this comment just tugged at some heartstrings and I had to share my thoughts)

I have said to my husband (who is the Canadian resident and I the applicant) That I would NEVER do this again. If my husband and I had broken up, I would never in a billion years get into a relationship with someone outside of the United States ever again. I am only immigrating for him. I tell other people not to do it, because even though I did some research on the immigration process, I had no idea it was this stressful. Don't go looking for a long distance relationship, I'm tellin' ya!
Sometimes it seems like it would've been easier for us to have split up in the beginning and found spouses from our home countries. But life doesn't work that way. I truly am a believer in soul mates and we don't have control over who we fall in love with. I would never be able to immigrate and do this process for anyone else. I love my husband more than anything and HE is worth this experience.

I understand entirely what you meant Soleil2020, I do have it very easy in regards to being able to live with my husband in Canada during this process. . . I thank God every day that we weren't further away than what we were. I hope you get closure with your application soon.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Soleil2020 said:
Did I notice correctly that your application took only 4 months to complete from start to landing day? If I am not mistaken, how, in God's name, did you do that?
My hunsband's file only took 4 months from start to finish as well. However both HoneyEllis and I went through the process a few years back when processing times for some visa offices were faster. So you unfortunately can't use our timelines as a baseline for what you can expect from your experiences. I saw someone go through the London UK office in less than 3 months start to finish while I was waiting. Unfortunately things are taking longer now.

EDIT: The "less than 3 months start to finish" included both the Mississauga and London VO processing times combined.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Soleil2020 said:
I'm really puzzled at the difference between cases and timelines. My case is just a "run of the mill, straightforward, spousal sponsorship"
( the attorney's words ).
Something that definitely impacted your processing times was not doing the CSQ up front but waiting for it to be requested. My guess is that this delayed thing by 3 or so months. Other than that, there may be no good/satisfactory answer to your question. That's one of the wonderful (sarcasm) things about CIC...

Soleil2020

Star Member
Jul 30, 2012
missmatalini said:
(Sorry to jump in here, this comment just tugged at some heartstrings and I had to share my thoughts)

I have said to my husband (who is the Canadian resident and I the applicant) That I would NEVER do this again. If my husband and I had broken up, I would never in a billion years get into a relationship with someone outside of the United States ever again. I am only immigrating for him. I tell other people not to do it, because even though I did some research on the immigration process, I had no idea it was this stressful. Don't go looking for a long distance relationship, I'm tellin' ya!
Sometimes it seems like it would've been easier for us to have split up in the beginning and found spouses from our home countries. But life doesn't work that way. I truly am a believer in soul mates and we don't have control over who we fall in love with. I would never be able to immigrate and do this process for anyone else. I love my husband more than anything and HE is worth this experience.

I understand entirely what you meant Soleil2020, I do have it very easy in regards to being able to live with my husband in Canada during this process. . . I thank God every day that we weren't further away than what we were. I hope you get closure with your application soon.
You don't have to be sorry for jumping in. Thank you for your words of understanding. I truly appreciate them.