+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Determine NOC and time to apply

tltt89

Dec 14, 2013
Hi all,

I'm a newbie here. I am looking to start my application for the CEC program in a couple weeks.I have couple questions hope i can get some help from here.

1. I am working at a staffing and recruiting company. When I first started here, I was hired as an intern for 3 months. My job title is Executive Assistant/Account Manager (EA/AC). It's a full time job and i got paid $400 per month. I wasn't on payroll fyi. Everyone at my company was first hired as an intern and we're all independent consultant as they call it there, which mean we send the company invoice every 2 weeks to get pay. It's like self employed but i had to be at the office 40hr/week. After the 3 months, I was hired as full time EA/AC - employee on payroll.

So i'm wondering if my 3 months as intern there would count toward the 12 months of work experience.

2. I'm having some difficult time determining my job NOC. As you can see, my job is a mixed of EA and AC. So i'm not sure which one to apply under. I did some research on the hrdc website but couldn't get any job title that has the closest match to my job. Basically, things i do at work are:
• Assist the CEO and President in all possible works: conduct market research and handle requests for information
• Support various internal business functions: Finance, Sales and Marketing
• International Expansion and Operations: registering company in foreign countries, tax registration, human resource and labor rules research, etc.
• Assist managing major account: manage and maintain employee relations with staffs across North America and the Caribbean; serve as interface between these employees and the company and our client, identify and solve problems (if any)

I think in general, job description on the hrdc is very standard. But in reality, same job title might not do the same tasks depends on different company and their service in nature/structure. I am very confused.

Can some one help?
Thank you. Greatly appreciated:D

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No - you won't be able to count the first three months. You weren't on the company payroll. Also, your pay was far too low. CIC will probably view this as an unpaid internship since you were paid so little. And if they don't view it as an unpaid internship, then they will say you were self-employed - which also doesn't count under CEC. You'll have to start counting your experience from the time you became an employee on the company payroll.

Hopefully someone else will be able to help you with the NOC. I'm not sure which one you should pick.

tltt89

Dec 14, 2013
Thanks Scylla.

Also - does our real job description has to match what stated on NOC? Im thinking of NOC 1222.

Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Your job description should match 70% or so of the NOC job description. However it shouldn't be written using the exact same words as the NOC job description. Your employer should write your responsibilities in his/her own words.