+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Detention in US - 2009 :: All Seniors Please Help

singh_maninder

Jan 5, 2016
Hello Seniors,

My Brother got detained in US due to Drunk Driving(DUI) . The matter went to court and the judge fined him. He paid it and the content get closed .

Now he wants to apply for Canadian Immigration from India . Would that be an issue while applying for permanent residency or not ?

Is not, will we have to declare the detention somewhere in the application ? This all happened in 2009

All seniors please give your reviews and let me know how we can proceed safely .

Thanks

Aragorn165

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-03-2016
Nomination.....
03-11-2015
AOR Received.
04-03-2016
Passport Req..
02-09-2016
singh_maninder said:
Hello Seniors,

My Brother got detained in US due to Drunk Driving(DUI) . The matter went to court and the judge fined him. He paid it and the content get closed .

Now he wants to apply for Canadian Immigration from India . Would that be an issue while applying for permanent residency or not ?

Is not, will we have to declare the detention somewhere in the application ? This all happened in 2009

All seniors please give your reviews and let me know how we can proceed safely .

Thanks
This can definitely cause an issue during application for Canadian PR (it could make him inadmissible), and it absolutely must be declared upfront, unless he wants to risk inadmissibility for misrepresentation.
My advice is to either look into rehabilitation (which can remove criminal inadmissibility, which is what this would be), or declare and attach a letter of explanation, hoping for the best.

Refer to this link for more information. I advise rehabilitation.
https://www.canadavisa.com/entering-canada-with-a-dui-conviction.html