+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Desperate to finding a job

Ad man

Oct 18, 2013
Hi fellows,

I came to canada 5 months back and i'm still unable to land on any job. Despite my qualifications are high i couldn't even get a single interview :( knowing that i'm customizing my CV each time for the job which i'm applying for and i'm very confident that my qualifications do meet the requirements.... Even though nobody calls back for an interview :(
Is it the lack of Canadian experience ? Or being graduated from a foreign college ? Or what is it what i'm missing here ?
Can you please advise me how to grab a job in this country ? I'm flexible to relocate to any city and i will accept the minimum wage just for the sake of getting my first job :(

Btw telecommunications management is my domain of expertise.

Thanks

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
Sorry to hear that Ad man.

You will need to network and actually identify potential employers and request information interviews and try to meet staff who work there.

When I came to Canada, same thing happened to me. My field is finance. So after sending resumes for six months and no single interview. I had to go out and try to meet people thru various ways Linkedin, finding HR staff, requesting information interviews, and actually going door to door to those employers. Finally after my efforts I was able to land a trainee position in a bank. It took me seven months.

Good luck! Don't despair, it will work out!

Ad man

Oct 18, 2013
Thanks Dejaavu for the tips,
Do you just go there and request to meet somebody from HR ? Do they usually accept to meet people without scheduled appointment ? I didn't know before about the information interview, can you please shed some more light on it ?

I'm trying to conquer my desperation, but at least i need to see some light at the end of the tunnel :(

Thanks

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
You will need to find names of people who work there and who may have hiring decisions.
As for the information interviews, also find a person in the organization and request an information interview.

Information interview is not asking for the job but about the job.
I always got my jobs in the US like that and I got mine here in Canada. I would go and meet with the manager and ask him/her about the types of roles they have and what kind of skill sets are necessary etc. Just in case have your resume handy and say if they are hiring they will know who you are and there is a chance they might hire you if you impressed them.
You will get a lot of rejections but the more you try there more chances you will get at landing something. It is the probability principle. I don't know how your field works. In banking/finance, I would go directly to bank branches and request meetings with branch managers and then find an HR person and leave them my resume etc.

AAJ

Star Member
Aug 16, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-05-2010
AOR Received.
1st AOR 13-10-2010, Full Documents Sent 19-01-11, 2nd AOR 16-06-2011
IELTS Request
Done
Med's Request
15-03-2013
Med's Done....
06-04-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
10-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
22-07-2013
LANDED..........
April 2014 (IA)
Dejaavu said:
You will need to find names of people who work there and who may have hiring decisions.
As for the information interviews, also find a person in the organization and request an information interview.

Information interview is not asking for the job but about the job.
I always got my jobs in the US like that and I got mine here in Canada. I would go and meet with the manager and ask him/her about the types of roles they have and what kind of skill sets are necessary etc. Just in case have your resume handy and say if they are hiring they will know who you are and there is a chance they might hire you if you impressed them.
You will get a lot of rejections but the more you try there more chances you will get at landing something. It is the probability principle. I don't know how your field works. In banking/finance, I would go directly to bank branches and request meetings with branch managers and then find an HR person and leave them my resume etc.
Well, I am confused. How can an employer be ready for "Information Interview" when it is of no benefit to him? Or am I missing something?

AAJ

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
They are not all ready but some will accept. If they need someone it is far easier to hire someone who came to your door then scanning thru hundreds if not thousands of resumes.

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
In my opinion, the 'information interview' is a load of hogwash. I was also advised to set up a couple of those -- both times the person's first question was, "Why exactly am I talking to you, anyway?" I didn't have a great answer for that, and the person I was meeting with was never the person in HR who screened the applications; in other words, meeting with them didn't have a damned thing to do with whether my resume made it through the first cut. Forget the 'information interview' and do the following:

1) find any job, no matter how low: you can't get a good job when you're desperate, and you can't look for jobs 8 hours a day.

2) find some way to do the work you want to do part-time; find someone who needs a temporary replacement, part-time contractor, on-call fill-in, something like that.

3) get a better job that is beneath your qualifications.

4) use that job to apply for the job you really want.

Who knows why people don't call back? They have a million reasons, and when you get down to it, HR departments don't look favourable at experienced people who are unemployed. It's hard to break into the middle level.

mrbeachman

Oct 24, 2011
on-hold said:
In my opinion, the 'information interview' is a load of hogwash. I was also advised to set up a couple of those -- both times the person's first question was, "Why exactly am I talking to you, anyway?" I didn't have a great answer for that, and the person I was meeting with was never the person in HR who screened the applications; in other words, meeting with them didn't have a damned thing to do with whether my resume made it through the first cut. Forget the 'information interview' and do the following:

1) find any job, no matter how low: you can't get a good job when you're desperate, and you can't look for jobs 8 hours a day.

2) find some way to do the work you want to do part-time; find someone who needs a temporary replacement, part-time contractor, on-call fill-in, something like that.

3) get a better job that is beneath your qualifications.

4) use that job to apply for the job you really want.

Who knows why people don't call back? They have a million reasons, and when you get down to it, HR departments don't look favourable at experienced people who are unemployed. It's hard to break into the middle level.
To any new immigrant.... read this then read again.

sharat_joshi77

Jun 21, 2011
Brampton
Visa Office......
Mexico City
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
Mar-2010
Doc's Request.
May-2010
IELTS Request
May-2010
File Transfer...
May-2010
Med's Request
Nov-2011
Med's Done....
Feb-2011
Interview........
Waived off
Passport Req..
May-2011
VISA ISSUED...
June-2011
LANDED..........
Aug-2011
hi,
One opportunity to network is meetup.
They organize a monthly meetup meetings for the specific occupation and lots of people join them.
I have seen manysmall time employers also attending these meetups in search of candidates.

You could attend one of these.
One meetup group is Hackernest (I hope i spelled it correctly).
There are many other meetup groups which you can find after registration n their website.
Get your information card printed (like business card) befoe going so that you can give it to as many people as you find...

Hope it will help you...
Regards,
Sharat Joshi

carlnoweast

Star Member
Dec 11, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-10-2009
AOR Received.
21-12-2009
File Transfer...
13-04-2010
Med's Request
13-09-2010
Med's Done....
05-11-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
18-11-2010
VISA ISSUED...
18-03-2011
LANDED..........
27-04-2011 (Surrey, BC)
there are government-funded employment program (10 weeks of job-skills paid training) available in your province. The program will help you on almost all aspects of employment thus will give you higher chances of landing a job.

Hello 123

Aug 14, 2013
Hi Sharat,

Since you mention Hackersnest I assume you are in the IT domain..?

Will be very helpful if you could help me with some pointers please.

I am from Bangalore India waiting for the Federal process to complete after receiving my CSQ
from Quebec. Probably another 10-12 months wait before we land.We plan to stay in Gatineau
and work in Ottawa. My son has has just completed his Bachelors In Computer Applications from a
Bangalore University.

Will really appreciate your comments and suggestions on his job prospects and how to go about it.

Thanks in advance for your time and help.

Nov 6, 2013
I suggest you apply to call centres as it is by far the only office job available to immigrants and RELATIVELY easy (nothing is really easy here) to get. It is mentally draining, you will feel insulted and humiliated - but if you are motivated enough you will survive. Once you accummulate 6 months in call centres, you can apply to entry level jobs in banks and climb up.
Plan B would be to sit a 1 year college/professional centre course in on-demand fields, e.g. Bookkeeper course, insurance broker course, which offers an internship after the end of course. Not sure about english provinces, but in Quebec these courses are DEP and AEC.
I am accummulating my 6th month in call centre now, patiently sustaining insults and inhumane work hours. Got the job by popping in in person at HR with my CV.
And my advice - Always apply in person. Just print out the CV and openly knock at HR doors.

Ad man said:
Hi fellows,

I came to canada 5 months back and i'm still unable to land on any job. Despite my qualifications are high i couldn't even get a single interview :( knowing that i'm customizing my CV each time for the job which i'm applying for and i'm very confident that my qualifications do meet the requirements.... Even though nobody calls back for an interview :(
Is it the lack of Canadian experience ? Or being graduated from a foreign college ? Or what is it what i'm missing here ?
Can you please advise me how to grab a job in this country ? I'm flexible to relocate to any city and i will accept the minimum wage just for the sake of getting my first job :(

Btw telecommunications management is my domain of expertise.

Thanks

sharat_joshi77

Jun 21, 2011
Brampton
Visa Office......
Mexico City
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
Mar-2010
Doc's Request.
May-2010
IELTS Request
May-2010
File Transfer...
May-2010
Med's Request
Nov-2011
Med's Done....
Feb-2011
Interview........
Waived off
Passport Req..
May-2011
VISA ISSUED...
June-2011
LANDED..........
Aug-2011
Hello 123 said:
Hi Sharat,

Since you mention Hackersnest I assume you are in the IT domain..?

Will be very helpful if you could help me with some pointers please.

I am from Bangalore India waiting for the Federal process to complete after receiving my CSQ
from Quebec. Probably another 10-12 months wait before we land.We plan to stay in Gatineau
and work in Ottawa. My son has has just completed his Bachelors In Computer Applications from a
Bangalore University.

Will really appreciate your comments and suggestions on his job prospects and how to go about it.

Thanks in advance for your time and help.
Hello,
yes, I am from IT domain...Well, I am really not aware of the job prospects in Quebec since I am living in Toronto. Even in Toronto, there are many opportunities for IT people. Since you sone is fresh out of college, he can take up some course from one of many good universities. These universities have a co-op placement module as well which gives a good exposure to students.

I have seen many students from India following this route and finally get placed in the jobs of their choice.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Sharat Joshi

Hello 123

Aug 14, 2013
Hi Sharat,

Thanks so much for responding.. Really appreciate.

We will live in Gatineau (Quebec) but work in Ottawa Ontario just across the river.

Any idea about entry level IT job market in Ottawa. Do you have any link there?

The Co Op route you suggested is also there on my mind.... however my son
is keen to get some job experience also ... hence my questions.

Will appreciate your guidance again.

Thanks again in advance.

Ramelak

Jul 4, 2013
Interesting exchanges. Truth is it is very difficult, if not impossible, to slide into a job suited exactly to your qualifications and experience - I think a lot of people out there believe that the moment they start sending out their CVs, the interview calls will start to pour in - in fact, it is perfectly normal to wait and wait for months. The trick is to get a survival job, and to NOT expect miracles or keep expectations high. Its a matter of plodding away at it, and one day, you will get a reasonable job - problem, is, that day might not come soon. And all too often, there's that great issue of cash, and many run out of it during this period by living hand to mouth.
My advice to all potential immigrants is - why do you want to move to Canada? If you have a good life, a secure job and good social standing in your country, and are not caught up in bomb blasts or sniper fires every day, then you might be better off where you are. Canada is not for the faint hearted. Having said all this, good luck with everything, everyone!