+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

DESPERATE FOR HELP - Masters / Diploma Student and an ELECTRICIAN

emandwillow

Mar 15, 2016
Hey everyone, its me again desperate for help.

Wow, what a lost, worried, confused world I am in! :-[

I am trying to work out (yet again) the possibilities of this scenario and how we will gain perm residency in BC.

1. I already have a degree from a London University in Arts Management and am looking to do either a Masters in Law or Anthrapology. OR EVEN a Diploma in Interior Design.
- Can I study a Diploma in BC even if I already have a degree as the Diploma is of a lower qualification than a degree or masters?
- If I do a diploma and the course is 32 months and not 2 years will I still be eligable for the 3 year work permit after?
- Do I have to study something that is on the NOC list 0,A or B to then qualify for residency after or is that the job position I need to find in those brackets to apply? Or does this not really matter as long as I have Canadian work experience and a job offer and studied a subject at a Canadian college or school.

Whilst I am studying, my boyfriend is an electrician. He Has around 4 - 5 years experience from the UK, with a few different employers (a year and a half of this experience is as an alarms technician, does this change things as it is classed as a different NOC to electrician?) he lived in Vancouver for a year already between 2013 & 2014(but did not work as an electrician).

-When we arrive in BC James will find a job as an Electrician / Electricians First Hand.

DOES JAMES QUALIFY VIA ANY ROUTE?

James only has a Level 2 Apprentice certificate. He does not have 4-5 years worth of study. This is what it says on the NOC site: "Completion of a four- to five-year apprenticeship program is usually required."
If James studies and does the Red Seal off of his own back whilst we are living in Canada will this suffice?

HELP! Love you all and good luck to you all xxxx

istari

Champion Member
Jul 5, 2016
Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
emandwillow said:
Hey everyone, its me again desperate for help.

Wow, what a lost, worried, confused world I am in! :-[

I am trying to work out (yet again) the possibilities of this scenario and how we will gain perm residency in BC.

1. I already have a degree from a London University in Arts Management and am looking to do either a Masters in Law or Anthrapology. OR EVEN a Diploma in Interior Design.
- Can I study a Diploma in BC even if I already have a degree as the Diploma is of a lower qualification than a degree or masters?
If you have PR, yes.
On a study permit, I'm not sure.

- If I do a diploma and the course is 32 months and not 2 years will I still be eligable for the 3 year work permit after?
CIC says:
"A work permit under the PGWPP may be issued for the length of the study program, up to a maximum of three years. A post-graduation work permit cannot be valid for longer than the student’s study program, and the study program must be a minimum of eight months in length."

So you could qualify for a PGWP of 32 months.

- Do I have to study something that is on the NOC list 0,A or B to then qualify for residency after or is that the job position I need to find in those brackets to apply? Or does this not really matter as long as I have Canadian work experience and a job offer and studied a subject at a Canadian college or school.
To apply for what ? What kind of visa are you looking at ?

Whilst I am studying, my boyfriend is an electrician. He Has around 4 - 5 years experience from the UK, with a few different employers (a year and a half of this experience is as an alarms technician, does this change things as it is classed as a different NOC to electrician?) he lived in Vancouver for a year already between 2013 & 2014(but did not work as an electrician).

-When we arrive in BC James will find a job as an Electrician / Electricians First Hand.

DOES JAMES QUALIFY VIA ANY ROUTE?

James only has a Level 2 Apprentice certificate. He does not have 4-5 years worth of study. This is what it says on the NOC site: "Completion of a four- to five-year apprenticeship program is usually required."
If James studies and does the Red Seal off of his own back whilst we are living in Canada will this suffice?

HELP! Love you all and good luck to you all xxxx

emandwillow

Mar 15, 2016
Hi Istari,

To apply for Permanent Residence status so that we can stay there in BC and live.

I have been told a lot of mixed information about our possibilities but I am just unsure of where to turn most of the time. We paid an emigration case worker but they seem useless.

Thank you for your help,

Emma

istari

Champion Member
Jul 5, 2016
Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
emandwillow said:
Hi Istari,

To apply for Permanent Residence status so that we can stay there in BC and live.

I have been told a lot of mixed information about our possibilities but I am just unsure of where to turn most of the time. We paid an emigration case worker but they seem useless.

Thank you for your help,

Emma
Right, well, you haven't mentioned whether or not you have 1 year of work experience in a level A, B, or O NOC.
If not, I don't think either of you qualify.

James would be applying under the Federal Skilled Trades Program.
One of the eligibility requirements is:
- have an offer of full-time employment for a total period of at least one year or a certificate of qualification in that skilled trade issued by a Canadian provincial or territorial authority.

You would be applying under the Federal Skilled Worker Program.
You can check your eligibility here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-factors.asp
If you have at least 1 year of continuous, full-time (or equivalent part-time) paid work experience in a skill level A, B, or O NOC, and you score at least 67 points in the eligibility criteria, then you're eligible.

emandwillow

Mar 15, 2016
Hi, thank you for getting back to me.

When they say at least 1 year of continuous, does that have to be at just one company or can it be 2 companies?

Also, does it have to be all in one country or can half be in England and the other half in Canada?

Emma

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Just keep in mind if considering the study permit route that to get approval they do look at relevance of any course proposed that it is both relevant to current qualifications and work experience so not some random course for the sake of. In addition they expect to see an outline of career aspirations following graduation and some indication of returning to home country on completion even if ultimately PR is the goal. Study and NOC are two different things so your course does not have to relate to a NOC, that is more critical for any post grad job role.

If you get a PGWP keep in mind there are restrictions on a spouse open work permit dependant on the PGWP holders job role which must be NOC 0 a or b. The same restriction for the spouse does not apply whilst studying given the student is only allowed to work 20 hrs a week.

As per earlier reply here you need to total up your points to see if either or qualify.

istari

Champion Member
Jul 5, 2016
Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
emandwillow said:
Hi, thank you for getting back to me.

When they say at least 1 year of continuous, does that have to be at just one company or can it be 2 companies?

Also, does it have to be all in one country or can half be in England and the other half in Canada?

Emma
It can be at 2 companies, and in 2 countries. But it must be in a single NOC, and the gap between the jobs can't be more than a couple of weeks.

emandwillow

Mar 15, 2016
Hi again, thank you for your reply.

So, what about if I myself work in a single NOC (user support technician) and do 6 months here in the UK then 6 months at a company in vancouver, would I qualify? This is when I am the dependant on James if he studies.

Would I then qualify?

istari

Champion Member
Jul 5, 2016
Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
emandwillow said:
Hi again, thank you for your reply.

So, what about if I myself work in a single NOC (user support technician) and do 6 months here in the UK then 6 months at a company in vancouver, would I qualify? This is when I am the dependant on James if he studies.

Would I then qualify?
No.
Foreign work experience and Canadian work experience are counted separately. Foreign work experience can be in multiple countries, but not Canada.

Sorry, I didn't think it through properly when I answered your last question.