+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dermatologist immigration to Canada?? Is there any use??

Aug 13, 2019
Hi all. I completed my MD Dermatology from India. I am planning to move to Canada for practice. Wanted to know the best procedure to move ?? Is getting a PR first worth it and then try for a job ?? Or applying to the medical college first and then later try for PR ..
1) Wanted to know what exams are to be cleared post MD
2) is finding a job easy after clearing exam?
3) any use going through the consultancy??
4) is it worth the risk leaving your practice back home??
5) What difficulties are we expected to face?
I am totally clueless so please guide me in detail as I am very much confused.
PS: I am married with a kid. My husband is also a doctor. Planning to move cause of family issues and for a better income.
Sorry for the long post..
Thank you!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi all. I completed my MD Dermatology from India. I am planning to move to Canada for practice. Wanted to know the best procedure to move ?? Is getting a PR first worth it and then try for a job ?? Or applying to the medical college first and then later try for PR ..
1) Wanted to know what exams are to be cleared post MD
2) is finding a job easy after clearing exam?
3) any use going through the consultancy??
4) is it worth the risk leaving your practice back home??
5) What difficulties are we expected to face?
I am totally clueless so please guide me in detail as I am very much confused.
PS: I am married with a kid. My husband is also a doctor. Planning to move cause of family issues and for a better income.
Sorry for the long post..
Thank you!
This is a very bad idea. You will likely never be able to work as a dermatologist in Canada. Not sure what specialty your husband is working in but unless he is a family doctor, psychiatrist or pathologist his chances of getting licensed are also extremely low.

1. You must clear 2 exams plus repeat your entire residency. The issue is that after Canadian students are matched in the 1st round there are barely any residency spots left. Not all Canadian are students are matched in the first round so Canadian students that went unmatched and all the IMGs compete for the leftover residency spots. Believe there were around 50 spots. Most were family medicine. There will be over 50 Canadian medical graduates and at least 1500 IMGs competing for those 50 spots. Dermatology is a sought after specialty and there is unlikely to ever be an open dermatology residency spot.
2. You need more than passing the 2 exams.
3. You can apply yourself if you want to save some money.
4. NO!!!

Please do some research. The fact that IMGs often never get licensed after moving to Canada is very well documented. Even Canadian medical graduates are having difficulty getting jobs. There are other threads on IMGs on this forum plus lots of articles if you do some google searches. IMGs should only move to Canada if they have graduated and worked in a few countries like UK., Ireland, US, etc. and they know there is demand for their specialty or they are willing to work in another field. If you want to immigrate you have much better chances in the UK, Ireland, US, other European countries. Not sure about Australia or NZ.

Aug 13, 2019
Thank you very much!! My husband is a radiologist.. I had the notion that it is only one exam we need to clear as it is post MD and we needn't repeat the residency again..so thought of giving a try.. it will be a waste of time if that's the scenario.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you very much!! My husband is a radiologist.. I had the notion that it is only one exam we need to clear as it is post MD and we needn't repeat the residency again..so thought of giving a try.. it will be a waste of time if that's the scenario.
Radiology is also a very sought off residency so it is extremely unlikely to have a free residency spot. As I mentioned before you both would have to pass your 2 licensing exams and repeat a 5 year residency although getting spots would be next to impossible in dermatology and radiology. It really doesn’t make sense to immigrate to Canada. Please feel free to research some more but I am very familiar with the process. Unfortunately many foreign trained physician don’t seem to do enough research before arriving and then realize how difficult it will be. Some do a masters, I have seen some go back to school to become ultrasound or radiology techs, nurses, etc.