+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Deposit checks need some info please

Clorets90

Apr 17, 2017
Hello everyone

I just want to make sure that what I heard is correct.

I get paid Bi-weekly each 15 days!
So my employer gives me a check whith date on it.
Now he is saying by law I'm required as employee to deposit this check after 2 days after the 2 weeks working period?

Is this correct or not.

Thanks.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hello everyone

Now he is saying by law I'm required as employee to deposit this check after 2 days after the 2 weeks working period?

Is this correct or not.

Thanks.
That sounds like a lie. You receive a cheque, you can deposit it as soon as you like. There is no "law" about deposit dates.

Reactions: Clorets90

Clorets90

Apr 17, 2017
That sounds like a lie. You receive a cheque, you can deposit it as soon as you like. There is no "law" about deposit dates.
Thank you I had the same feeling maybe he is trying to get advantage of my lack of experience in life in Canada.....

Thanks again.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
Hello everyone

Is this correct or not.

Thanks.

He's lying. You have up to 1 year to deposit the cheque from the date on the actual cheque.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

He's lying. You have up to 1 year to deposit the cheque from the date on the actual cheque.
1. Not quite right.

The Canadian Payments Association says cheques are stale-dated after six months unless certified. A stale-dated cheque is not necessarily invalid. Financial institutions may still honour them but don't have to

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hi

1. Not quite right.

The Canadian Payments Association says cheques are stale-dated after six months unless certified. A stale-dated cheque is not necessarily invalid. Financial institutions may still honour them but don't have to
Except cheque’s issued by the Government of Canada , they did not go stale

Clorets90

Apr 17, 2017
Hi

1. Not quite right.

Thank you

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
also depends on what date he writes on the chq, whatever date is written on the chq is the earliest you can deposit it. So if he writes it for two days later then you cannot.
No, sometimes I deposited a cheque dated two days later. No problem whatsoever.

Jets13

Dec 12, 2016
No, sometimes I deposited a cheque dated two days later. No problem whatsoever.
The bank shouldn't allow it, I use to work part time as a teller, I would have refused it.
Lets say I wrote you a personal chq.....like rent for example, and put Aug 1 date on it. The bank should not let you deposit it today, you would have to wait until Aug 1.

But that was 15 years ago, nowadays most people deposit online or in ATM, and do not go inside to see teller as much. Maybe that's why.

"If a post-dated cheque you wrote is mistakenly processed before its date, you should contact your bank to let them know. The cheque can be returned and the amount credited back to your account up to the day before the date written on the cheque."

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The bank shouldn't allow it, I use to work part time as a teller, I would have refused it.
Lets say I wrote you a personal chq.....like rent for example, and put Aug 1 date on it. The bank should not let you deposit it today, you would have to wait until Aug 1.

But that was 15 years ago, nowadays most people deposit online or in ATM, and do not go inside to see teller as much. Maybe that's why.

"If a post-dated cheque you wrote is mistakenly processed before its date, you should contact your bank to let them know. The cheque can be returned and the amount credited back to your account up to the day before the date written on the cheque."
Maybe.... but the deposit date printed in the bank statement still show July 30th nonetheless.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
also depends on what date he writes on the chq, whatever date is written on the chq is the earliest you can deposit it. So if he writes it for two days later then you cannot.
The OP didn't mention that the cheque was post-dated, so I assume that this is not the case. The employer appears to be trying to tell the OP that it's not legal to deposit the cheque. If I was in the OP's position, I would certainly not take a post-dated payroll cheque.