+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Deported from US point of entry. How slim are my chances for a student visa?

Xavierl92

Dec 17, 2017
Hi,

So i am from one of the unfortunate 3rd world terrorist countries looking for a better future for myself and my family. I have traveled to the US twice before. However recently, i was deported from a point of entry on my tourist visit. They basically went through my phone and found a few racy memes as well as pictures of me using drugs. There were quotes from alleged terrorists that an idiot from school sent on some religious nut group through whatsapp that ended up in my phone. They questioned me on it and i told them the truth; that these pictures were from the whatsapp group I had no idea i was even a part of. In the interview taken on the POE, i just told them everything very honestly upfront. I was sent back on the next flight home. Yes i screwed up, but honestly I didn't realize the US had gotten so strict even for leisure travelers.

This incident changed my view for the future. I feel now that this occurred, any go-to country (Canada, Australia etc) i apply to for a study visa for my masters will reject me because of what transpired. I understand that the US shares immigration information with member countries and that when they run my name, the interview transcript will turn up where the officer alleges me using drugs and references to selling them once or twice.

I guess my question is if i should stop dreaming about immigrating to any of the developed countries? How bad have i ruined my chances of immigration to Canada or Australia?

Thanks

Edit: I have no criminal history is my home country or the US. Just this interview transcript at the point of entry.

Edit 2: The official reason for denying entry to me was sec 212 9 a i 1: you do not have a bonafide visa to enter the US. I can also reapply for a US visa after 5 years (though i have no intention of doing that)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If you plan to apply to immigrate, then being accepted by Canada won't be a problem provided you are 100% honest about your history and declare the US refusal / deportation.

Applying for a temporary visa/ permit (e.g. visitor visa, study permit, work permit) is a different matter. These will be difficult to obtain due to your US refusal. Once again, you'll need to be 100% honest about your past history. You'll also need to demonstrate very strong ties to your home country and demonstrate you have no plans on remaining in Canada long term to have any chance of being approved.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Plus of course next time the OP travels anywhere either take a different photo and message history free phone with you or reset existing phone to out of box level. It can be common these days for any country immigration/ customs to look through electronic devices when completing a secondary more detailed inspection.