+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dependent work visa for spouse to Canada from India

Oct 5, 2018
Hi Guys,

My wife traveled to Canada with work permit of 2 years (processed by Indian IT company).
I want apply visa as dependency .

I'm not very sure about the process and what visa category i need to apply as dependency to my wife.

We both are from software domain and i have 5 years of IT experience with MTech degree.

I want relocate to Canada with dependency and need to search for job there.

Kindly guide me the process to get visa and work permit etc.

Note : She can apply dependency visa from company but it will take 6 to 9 months , so i'm looking for best and shortest way .

Thanks in advance.
Chinna

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You also need to apply for a SOWP. The processing time is currently around 4 months or more. It's variable based on demand.

Oct 5, 2018
You also need to apply for a SOWP. The processing time is currently around 4 months or more. It's variable based on demand.
Thanks you very much for your time and reply .

When I contacted consultancies here , they are suggesting me to go with "Dependent work visa" which will take 45 days approx(time given by Y axis consultency).

are both SOWP and "dependent work visa" is same ..??

Some blogs are referring to apply TRV in my case ..I am little confused among these all.

Please clarify the above and do needful.

Thanks in advance,
Chinna

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks you very much for your time and reply .

When I contacted consultancies here , they are suggesting me to go with "Dependent work visa" which will take 45 days approx(time given by Y axis consultency).

are both SOWP and "dependent work visa" is same ..??

Some blogs are referring to apply TRV in my case ..I am little confused among these all.

Please clarify the above and do needful.

Thanks in advance,
Chinna
There isn't a dependent visa in Canada. You want a spousal open work permit (SOWP). A TRV is a temporary resident visa which would allow you to enter as a visitor. Visitors can't work and the border agent will decide how long you can stay. The maximum is 6 months but you can ask to match your wife's work visa and they likely will do it.

Oct 5, 2018
There isn't a dependent visa in Canada. You want a spousal open work permit (SOWP). A TRV is a temporary resident visa which would allow you to enter as a visitor. Visitors can't work and the border agent will decide how long you can stay. The maximum is 6 months but you can ask to match your wife's work visa and they likely will do it.
Thank you for the valuable information..

I heard TRV will be rejected in some cases , is it possible ?

In some cases they are rejecting visitors visa based on family ties relation in Canada , is this rejection only for PR holders or also for work permit holders? Please clarify

“Is it better to apply TRV first and go to Canada and apply SOWP or is it better to apply SOWP from India ?"

Thanks in advance ,
Chinna

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If you want to work you should probably just apply for a SOWP. That is what you are entitled to as a spouse even if you don't plan on working.