+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dependent work permit for Spouse and child queries

priks1425

Star Member
May 25, 2019
This question is with regards to my sister.

Background:
She along with her son came to Canada as visitor in June Month. She started doing its LMIA process and simultaneously we got my nephew's admission in 9th grade school for 1st semester as International student as for 6 month study, he doesnt need study permit. 1st Sept, she got closed work permit from Canada Border by flagpole process.

Question:
1. Does my nephew need to apply for study permit now? or he should be fine since her mother/my sister has work permit?
2. Does she need to apply for work permit stamp to travel outside Canada and come back?
3. How she can link this work permit in CIC account? I tried to register and link this work permit but its not working. Not sure if I am doing that correctly.
3. Her husband living outside Canada, how to apply his work permit?

BA101

Champion Member
Nov 29, 2021

Background:
She along with her son came to Canada as visitor in June Month. She started doing its LMIA process and simultaneously we got my nephew's admission in 9th grade school for 1st semester as International student as for 6 month study, he doesnt need study permit. 1st Sept, she got closed work permit from Canada Border by flagpole process.

Question:
1. Does my nephew need to apply for study permit now? or he should be fine since her mother/my sister has work permit? If inside Canada & going to school he will need study permit to continue studies. Some schools do not ask for the latest one but he will not be able travel out of Canada without a TRV
2. Does she need to apply for work permit stamp to travel outside Canada and come back?Yes
3. How she can link this work permit in CIC account? I tried to register and link this work permit but its not working. Not sure if I am doing that correctly.Use GC Key and enter Application Info accurately
3. Her husband living outside Canada, how to apply his work permit? Via GC Key, Answer questionnaire, submit documents, fill the form , pay fees and done. Wait for decision

Reactions: priks1425

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Background:

Question:
1. Does my nephew need to apply for study permit now? or he should be fine since her mother/my sister has work permit?
2. Does she need to apply for work permit stamp to travel outside Canada and come back?
3. How she can link this work permit in CIC account? I tried to register and link this work permit but its not working. Not sure if I am doing that correctly.
3. Her husband living outside Canada, how to apply his work permit?
1. yes he should apply for a study permit. He should have required one to register for school if they were visitors. Did they also pay international fees? With proof of the mother working and having a WP you can qualify for a refund. No study permit is for courses that last less than 6 months not for a 6 month period. To attend grade 9 he should have a study permit. What type of WP does she have? What type of employment?

priks1425

Star Member
May 25, 2019
1. yes he should apply for a study permit. He should have required one to register for school if they were visitors. Did they also pay international fees? With proof of the mother working and having a WP you can qualify for a refund. No study permit is for courses that last less than 6 months not for a 6 month period. To attend grade 9 he should have a study permit. What type of WP does she have? What type of employment?
He didn't need work permit as we had taken admission for 1 semester. We had take his admission as international student by paying $8000 fees. I have requested for refund after getting permit. Let's see how it goes. She has closed work permit for Subway, Teer 5 category. So I was curious to know to continue his study further, he would need permit or not now

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
He didn't need work permit as we had taken admission for 1 semester. We had take his admission as international student by paying $8000 fees. I have requested for refund after getting permit. Let's see how it goes. She has closed work permit for Subway, Teer 5 category. So I was curious to know to continue his study further, he would need permit or not now
Yes he should apply for a study permit. He also should have been required to provide a study permit since the school year is over 6 months but many schools are not well informed.

Can’t believe that IRCC is still letting Subway owners apply for work permit. It is well know that a large number of Subway franchise owners have been receiving payment for job offers for well over a decade. Money for job offer is standard but some never actually work, many have to pay back any money they receIve as salary even if they do work but that creates a paper trail. Your family may be one of the few that hasn’t paid for a job but for anyone paying for a job that comes with a huge risk. If it is ever discovered that people paid for a job then you can lose your status even if you are a Canadian citizen at that point.

priks1425

Star Member
May 25, 2019
Yes he should apply for a study permit. He also should have been required to provide a study permit since the school year is over 6 months but many schools are not well informed.

Can’t believe that IRCC is still letting Subway owners apply for work permit. It is well know that a large number of Subway franchise owners have been receiving payment for job offers for well over a decade. Money for job offer is standard but some never actually work, many have to pay back any money they receIve as salary even if they do work but that creates a paper trail. Your family may be one of the few that hasn’t paid for a job but for anyone paying for a job that comes with a huge risk. If it is ever discovered that people paid for a job then you can lose your status even if you are a Canadian citizen at that point.
Why to pay for a job? You can apply for it and get interviewed. If they like it, they will hire. I will apply for his study permit now.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Why to pay for a job? You can apply for it and get interviewed. If they like it, they will hire. I will apply for his study permit now.
[/QUO

Sadly there is a huge underground economy for job offers for especially service jobs. A decent number of people are paying for job offers for low skilled jobs because they don’t have other options to immigrate. It is typically done within communities and organized with consultants/lawyers and business owners. If the employer is able to secure an LMIA and the applicants receive a work permit they may have to work, there may not actually be a job so they receive a salary to provide a paper trail and repay their employer all the money they received in cash, they may do their job or another job for the employer (usually with an inferior TEER) and get paid either the agreed upon amount or a lower hourly rate, etc. In situations where people are additionally exploited they may work and then have to give their employer all their salary in cash and then are forced to work cash jobs on the side to be able to live. This exploitation can go on for years even after the person has received PR because the employer has proof that they have paid for the job and lied to IRCC and therefore committed a crime and should have never received a WP. The employer and consultant also committed crimes of course but many newcomers feel much more vulnerable and are often not educated about the laws in Canada. Not sure how your sister got a job offer and a work permit given that there are hundreds of thousands of international students with work permits currently looking for jobs. In places like the GTA there are so many people currently looking for employment that it is pretty shocking to see that your sister was able to get a WP. The employer could have hired someone else who already had the ability to work in Canada. It is even more surprising give the timeframe. This is probably the easiest time to hire someone for service jobs due to the incredibly large volume international students who have recently arrived. It is just another example of how IRCC is failing by approving too many applicants and instead of prioritizing employment for those who already have a WPs, IRCC/CBSA approved a WP for another foreign national. Many of the international students will not find employment in the GTA and will have to travel outside of the GTA to try and secure work. Sadly another way international students and other with the ability to work legally in Canada are being failed and another way the government is failing to match temporary work permit approvals (and PR approvals) to skills needed and locations. If everyone with a WP was in full employment and there were employers looking to hire people it would make sense to hire people for service jobs. Instead you have likely at least a thousand international students lining up for a small amount of jobs while IRCC and CBSA are approving more work permits for foreign nationals. We are also likely in a recession so available jobs will likely be decreasing. We aren’t seeing the need for labour that we used to see and if labour is needed it tends to be in certain sectors like food processing , farming, teaching, skilled trades, IT, etc. they can’t be filled by people like international students living in many of the larger cities in Canada. It is incredibly frustrating to witness the lack of common sense.

Many employers and consultants/ lawyers view selling jobs offers as another income stream although it is illegal and is usually exploiting members of their own community. It is a well known issue and is especially an issue in certain fields and in certain regions. Unfortunately it takes a lot of resources to go after each person so IRCC, CBSA and police authorities can’t after everyone. It also takes a long time to gather evidence so if people do pay for employment they may only be contacted years from now when they are already PRs and citizens. Many think they are safe once they get PR or citizenship but if you obtained any visa, permit or citizenship based on misrepresentation you can lose your status at any point. Many also are reluctant to report employers and consultants/lawyers so it can take much longer to gather evidence against people which allows the practice of paying for jobs in Canada to continue. There was a very well known group of Subway franchise owners in the lower Mainland that were staffed mostly by people of South East Asian origin who had paid for job offers. The owners and consultants were also part of the community. Many actually never did any work at the stores. Subway is no longer very popular so many of the stores no longer exist. Not sure if any were part of the some of the arrays that have been made.
A recent example of mostly international students lining up for low income job opportunities:
https://reddit.com/r/CanadaHousing2/s/bdgG6s3m3M
https://www.blogto.com/eat_drink/2023/08/fortinos-job-fair-brampton/
Example of immigration fraud case:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/cbsa-immigration-fraud-investigation-documents-1.5749065

Reactions: priks1425

priks1425

Star Member
May 25, 2019
With regards to 2nd question: She already has multiple entry visitor visa stamp valid for next 6 years. Does she still need to apply for visa?