+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dependent visa

Mesha

Star Member
Jun 26, 2011
Hi,

I will really appreciate if any one can help me a little. :)

" My husband is on study permit , can he call me on dependent visa??

and

Approximately how much time it will take ?? "

please guide me

Reactions: Neelraval

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you need a visa to visit, you can apply for one based on joining your husband who is studying. If you want to work, you can apply for an open work permit based on your husbands study permit. You would still have to prove that you will be staying in Canada temporarily and will not overstay. You may still be refused.

If you are visa exempt, you can come to Canada as a visitor. You can apply for your open work permit as you enter. You would need a copy of your husbands study permit and your marriage certificate and $150

Reactions: Neelraval

Mesha

Star Member
Jun 26, 2011
Thank you very much for your valuable suggetions.

I and my husband actually want to settle life in Canada.

Both of us had done masters in communication engineering.

we do not fall in 29 categories that is why we can not apply directly for P.R. :)

Hence, Student visa is only better option for us.

If i choose one year course in Humber college. shall i be given 2 years work permit ?

Reactions: ghazaleh ali

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Only one of you needs to study.

If you are the one who studies, your spouse can get an open work permit.

If you take a one year course, the spouse can get a one year open work permit.

After 6 months of studying, if your grades are good, you can apply for an off campus work permit. When you get it, you may work alongside your student up to 20 hours a week.

After you graduate, you may apply for a post-grad work permit and to extend the open permit of your spouse.
If you have taken a one year course, you qualify for only a one year post-grad permit.

Mesha

Star Member
Jun 26, 2011
Thanks a lot.... Leon :) for very important information that only one of us will have to study.
i really appreciate your true and valuable suggestions. :)

If my husband calls me for open work pemit , how long i can stay there?

Within the duration of our both's work permit can we apply for PR ?

my sister in law's husband is P.R. canada.

would it be beneficial for us by any means??

THANK YOU VERY MUCH .Leon :)

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you apply together as a couple, if you both get your permits, your open work permit will be valid as long as the husbands student visa. If he extends, you can extend too. You can apply for PR while you are in Canada. You would have a better chance to do it than your husband because you are the one working. If you get a good job, your employer can sponsor you through PNP. You must then stay in that job until you get PR. If you manage 2 years of full time skilled work, you would have the option to apply under CEC.

If you don't apply as a couple, husband applies for student visa first, gets it, it is not guaranteed that you would get the open work permit because immigration might think you are a risk to overstay. If you apply together, they are more likely to approve or deny both.

You sister in laws husband is a PR, does not actually help because he is not a relative of yours or your husbands. If your sister in law (sister of your husband) was a PR, you could get points for her if you apply under FSW.

saqi244

Dec 16, 2011
Hi Leon I need ur suggestion.........Dependent visa

hi, I am doing MSc research in geological sciences ( Enhanced Oil Recovery using CO2) from Durham University UK, almost I will complete in june,2012.I am here on student visa, thats going to expire on aug,2012. i have a 4 yrs bachelor degree in petroleum and gas engineering from U.E.T Lahore Pakistan. I have my fiancee in Pakistan. She recently completed her 4 yrs bachelor degree in telecom engineering. Now we want to settle in Canada.Please give me any route map which suits us both.... which category suits us best. no one of us has work experience of 1 yrs as for no study gap we have until now.but we have both a lot of internships..i don't know what we should do..one case is that she could apply for msc degree on study visa and i should go with her as a dependent (spouse). I will have much chances of getting open work permit...now what will happen when she completed her msc..???/ i don't know..pls suggest an optimized case for us ..furthermore, tell me please from which country we should file a visa...from UK or from pak..which suits best..and when we should get married.?..does it affect on our visa.... which one should do MS, she would take MS admission in university of Regina in telecom...while if she does not succeed then i had already admission for master in petroleum engg in Uni of Alberta..which one should do master,,moreover i have an option to do PhD in canada too while i have master degree from Durham university UK.......I am too much confused......Ur suggestions would inevitably attract my admiration..

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You would need to get married so you can apply as a couple. Either one of you could apply for a student visa and the other could then apply for an open work permit. You have to show strong ties to home country and that you will return there after your studies are done.

It is better to take a 2 year course than 1 year because it buys you more time. The one of you who is on an open work permit will have to use that chance to secure a job where the employer will take steps to keep you, that is apply for your LMO to get a regular work permit or sponsor you under PNP.

When the one of you who is a student graduates, that person can get an open post-grad work permit but there is no open work permit any more for a person who is the spouse of a post-grad.

Andy11

Star Member
Jul 22, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-04-2011
AOR Received.
11-05-2011
File Transfer...
Transferred to CPP Ottawa on July 2012 from Buffalo
Med's Request
30-09-2013
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
Hi Leon,

I am in USA. I have my PR file for canada under process. But mean while i want to move to canada. I am planning to get Student visa for my wife and i will try to get dependant visa...can you please let me know what are the chances to get rejection in this case because of my existing PR file for canada?

Thanks in advance.

Andy

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
They are unrelated applications but because you have shown you would like to live in Canada with your FSW application, you might have a slightly harder time proving that you will not overstay. However, it also depends on where you are. If you are from a relatively well off country, they are less likely to think you will overstay than if you are from a country where the economical situation is very bad.

saqi244

Dec 16, 2011
Leon: I need ur guidance again..Thanks

Can i apply for canada study visa from UK I have a valid uk visa of 6 weeks.OR I have to go back to Pakistan and apply from there. ?

Thanks alot for guidance

Leon said:
You would need to get married so you can apply as a couple. Either one of you could apply for a student visa and the other could then apply for an open work permit. You have to show strong ties to home country and that you will return there after your studies are done.

It is better to take a 2 year course than 1 year because it buys you more time. The one of you who is on an open work permit will have to use that chance to secure a job where the employer will take steps to keep you, that is apply for your LMO to get a regular work permit or sponsor you under PNP.

When the one of you who is a student graduates, that person can get an open post-grad work permit but there is no open work permit any more for a person who is the spouse of a post-grad.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Re: Leon: I need ur guidance again..Thanks

saqi244 said:
Can i apply for canada study visa from UK I have a valid uk visa of 6 weeks.OR I have to go back to Pakistan and apply from there. ?

Thanks alot for guidance
You could but they will not look at you as coming from the UK as you are only a visitor. You will still have to prove strong ties and returning to Pakistan after your studies are done.

babake

Star Member
Aug 12, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My wife has just recieved a study permit and she will be travelling to canada in August to begin her classes that starts in fall. We have two children ( 2 and five). I am planning once shes gone to apply for a TRV in december for the chrismas break. Will applying in december be too soon to convince the VO to provide us with visitors visa since we did not apply together with her study permit due to lack of enough funds as proof of funds for our entire familly?. I guess by december my bank account will have recoup enough to apply for the remainning three of us on visiting visa. Since I have a good job here I intend to leave the children behind and come back and help them financially from here.....I dont want a rejection of visitor visa on my record, so how soon is it to appy for visiting after shes left for canada, she will be going on a two year study permit visa. Any suggestion or advice from the veterans of this process?

kyle

Oct 13, 2009
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
12-July-2016
babake said:
My wife has just recieved a study permit and she will be travelling to canada in August to begin her classes that starts in fall. We have two children ( 2 and five). I am planning once shes gone to apply for a TRV in december for the chrismas break. Will applying in december be too soon to convince the VO to provide us with visitors visa since we did not apply together with her study permit due to lack of enough funds as proof of funds for our entire familly?. I guess by december my bank account will have recoup enough to apply for the remainning three of us on visiting visa. Since I have a good job here I intend to leave the children behind and come back and help them financially from here.....I dont want a rejection of visitor visa on my record, so how soon is it to appy for visiting after shes left for canada, she will be going on a two year study permit visa. Any suggestion or advice from the veterans of this process?
sorry i have no answer to your queries, i have a question though... how long didnyour wife process her student visa? thank you

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
I don't think it matters as her spouse how "soon" is soon. If you want to visit her, you can provided you meet requirements and satisfy the officer that you will leave at the end of your authorized stay.

In my opinion, a few things work in your favor:

1. young children who depend on you for everything and will be attending school in their home country. If you plan to also get visitor visas for them, make sure you include proof of registration(if they are of school age).

If you are leaving them behind, make adequate arrangements so that their lives are not disrupted for the few weeks you are away. A visa officer may ask during the interview. Your kids will definitely make you go back, right? :p

2. you have a good job - get a letter from your employer indicating your start date, salary, benefits, etc and when they expect you back. They can also include your main duties and responsibilities to highlight your importance to the company.

3. Assets, property, bank statements, businesses, etc as proof of funds and any other thing you imagine will make you want to go back.

Goodluck!

babake said: