+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dependent visa for 8 months old child

satdas

Sep 10, 2021
Hi,

I have work visa (W1) and my wife has dependent/visitor (V1) visa. I have received my visa in Aug 2021. Now I want to apply dependent/visitor visa for my 8 months old son, so that the family can travel together. Can someone guide me how do I proceed with the visa application for my son and how long would it take roughly. I have already done visa medicals for my son. I don't have any idea about the visa application as the existing visa (both work and dependent) were done by my employer. Please help.

Regards

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
You apply for a visitor visa for your son…on the IRCC website. There is no such thing as a dependant visa. Processing times depends on where you are from.

satdas

Sep 10, 2021
You apply for a visitor visa for your son…on the IRCC website. There is no such thing as a dependant visa. Processing times depends on where you are from.
Thank you for your reply. I was going through IRCC document checklist and have queries on the following points,
1. I and my wife have the visa for 2 years. Now with this new application for my son, how will IRCC know that parents are given visa for 2 years. Do I need to submit/mention my passport number somewhere in my son's application?
2. I can't provide invitation letter for my son's application as I am in India only. Will that be an issue?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thank you for your reply. I was going through IRCC document checklist and have queries on the following points,
1. I and my wife have the visa for 2 years. Now with this new application for my son, how will IRCC know that parents are given visa for 2 years. Do I need to submit/mention my passport number somewhere in my son's application?
2. I can't provide invitation letter for my son's application as I am in India only. Will that be an issue?
1. You can provide the information but it is up to IRCC to decide on length of visa, if approved.
2. Correct, you are not in Canada so can’t provide letter. It should not be an issue.
3. Expect up to or more than 6 months to process.

satdas

Sep 10, 2021
1. You can provide the information but it is up to IRCC to decide on length of visa, if approved.
2. Correct, you are not in Canada so can’t provide letter. It should not be an issue.
3. Expect up to or more than 6 months to process.
Thank you. Regarding Point 1 above, there is no place to give my passport/visa details in my son's application. So where do I say that I have work permit to support my son's visa application? or am I missing something?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you. Regarding Point 1 above, there is no place to give my passport/visa details in my son's application. So where do I say that I have work permit to support my son's visa application? or am I missing something?
You need to include a letter. Would add that your employer applied for a visitor visa for your spouse and should have applied for an OWP because she isn’t actually visiting.You can ask if she can get the expiry date of her visitor record to match the expiry of yourWP but otherwise she will need to extend her visitor status every 6 months. She should apply for an OWP because at a certain point IRCC will tell her she isn’t a visitor and should be applying for an OWP even if she doesn’t want to work.

satdas

Sep 10, 2021
You need to include a letter. Would add that your employer applied for a visitor visa for your spouse and should have applied for an OWP because she isn’t actually visiting.You can ask if she can get the expiry date of her visitor record to match the expiry of yourWP but otherwise she will need to extend her visitor status every 6 months. She should apply for an OWP because at a certain point IRCC will tell her she isn’t a visitor and should be applying for an OWP even if she doesn’t want to work.
Both the visas (for myself and my spouse) are given for two years. And I expect that the same duration will be given for my child as well.