+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

dependent substantially

jane_acueza

Nov 4, 2012
guys can you please define what is the meaning of dependent substantially?

I have a daughter, single, 21 years old and she graduated already from college. We filed our sponsorship when she was still 20 years old and was studying.
Right now, she is planning to work with full time SSS and TIN at the same time she is planning to enroll as full time student short course caregiver under TESDA Program.

please enlighten me thank you

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

jane_acueza said:
guys can you please define what is the meaning of dependent substantially?

I have a daughter, single, 21 years old and she graduated already from college. We filed our sponsorship when she was still 20 years old and was studying.
Right now, she is planning to work with full time SSS and TIN at the same time she is planning to enroll as full time student short course caregiver under TESDA Program.

please enlighten me thank you
Her age was locked in on the date of the application, so she is considered a dependent and as long as she doesn't marry or become common/law she is fine.

aridoarikato

Star Member
Feb 2, 2011
BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-V
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
LC1-April 2011; LC2 - Aug 2013
AOR Received.
April 9, 2014
Med's Request
April 9, 2014
Med's Done....
May 29, 2014: Reassessment of medical -June 26, 2015
Interview........
Aug. 25, 2015
Passport Req..
Aug. 11, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Oct. 5, 2015 (delivered 10/24/15) valid up to 04/10/16
LANDED..........
LC1 -Aug.25, 2015; LC2 - Dec. 22, 2015
So its okay for her to work then? We are on the same boat here. My daughter will be done with school soon and she is pretty pumped up to work right after. My worry is that it might be a ground for refusal. Here's a thought - she might be working but if she remains substantially dependent on me financially, then would that still meet CIC's definition of a dependent child?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you applied before your daughter turned 22, her age is locked in. That means she does not have to remain dependent on you financially and she can work and still keeps her status of dependent child because of her age at the time of the application. However, she can not get married or enter into a common-law relationship because then she loses the status of a dependent child.

If you applied after your daughter turned 22 and she was included in your application based on being a full time student and financially dependent on you, she will have to remain a full time student and financially dependent on you until she gets her PR.