+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dependent PR vs Express Entry for Spouse

vc6gc

Star Member
Dec 14, 2017
All,

I have a question regarding PR options for my spouse. I am a Canadian resident with PR and my spouse is currently in India. She gave her IELTS exam and also did her educational evaluation so far. She is yet to submit her Express Entry application.

The question I have is:
1. I know that express entry PR will take roughly about 1 year or so. With Dependent PR although it takes same time to get PR, she can come to Canada with visiting visa and apply for Work Permit while waiting for PR. Is this correct?
2. Does Dependent PR (with Work Permit) require any IELTS and Educational Evaluation?
3. Are there any limitations on Dependent PR compared to Express Entry PR? (meaning before she gets PR, she cannot travel or anything when I lose a job or something?)

Any info/web links on this is greatly appreciated.
Thanks a lot in advance.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
1. No - that's not really how it works. If your spouse wants to qualify for the open work permit, your spouse needs to apply for PR through the inland spousal sponsorship route and include the open work permit application with the spousal sponsorship application. To apply inland, both spouses must be physically living in Canada. This means your spouse would need to obtain a TRV and travel to Canada before applying for PR.
2. No.
3. If your spouse applies for PR through the inland spousal sponsorship route, it's not recommended that your spouse leave Canada until processing is complete.

vc6gc

Star Member
Dec 14, 2017
1. No - that's not really how it works. If your spouse wants to qualify for the open work permit, your spouse needs to apply for PR through the inland spousal sponsorship route and include the open work permit application with the spousal sponsorship application. To apply inland, both spouses must be physically living in Canada. This means your spouse would need to obtain a TRV and travel to Canada before applying for PR.
2. No.
3. If your spouse applies for PR through the inland spousal sponsorship route, it's not recommended that your spouse leave Canada until processing is complete.

Thanks for the quick reply @scylla . So inland sposal sponsorship is the best (she can get to work sooner) and fastest route then?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks for the quick reply @scylla . So inland sposal sponsorship is the best (she can get to work sooner) and fastest route then?
Yes - that will allow her to work the soonest provided she already has or is able to obtain a TRV.

vc6gc

Star Member
Dec 14, 2017
You just landed in March. Were you already married? Did you include your wife in your PR application?

No - I will be getting married in April. Just looking for options to bring her here faster. Here is what I was thinking - please correct me if there are any faults.

She does have a visitor Visa already, So after marriage - let her come here on Visitor Visa - then I can run a inland spouse PR application along with Open Work Permit.

Thank you.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
No - I will be getting married in April. Just looking for options to bring her here faster. Here is what I was thinking - please correct me if there are any faults.

She does have a visitor Visa already, So after marriage - let her come here on Visitor Visa - then I can run a inland spouse PR application along with Open Work Permit.

Thank you.
Yes that is good plan.

saveslife10

Apr 1, 2019
Hi. I have also a question, if I will only declare my son as my accompanying dependents going to Canada then I will be granted COPR with my son, is it possible that my spouse will come with us during soft landing with him having a visit visa only?

I didn't include my spouse in my EE profile because my score will get lower as we don't have same educational level. I plan to sponsor him once he will come for visit visa.

For those who have experience like this, your help will be very much appreciated.