+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dependent may not be able to land in time - what are my options?

dopehead

Star Member
Jan 28, 2017
Hey guys,

We have our CoPRs and our immigrant visas are scheduled to expire on May 2nd, 2018. I am the principal applicant while my wife is the dependent.

My wife is on a student visa in the US (F1) with an extension pending, so her attorneys have advised against her traveling outside the country until her extension is approved, which has near zero chances of coming through before May 2nd.

Now her visa expires if she doesn't land by May 2, so what are our options at this point?
- can I land as the PA and then request her to be added as a dependent applicant? As I understand, this process takes up to 14 months, and I will physically need to be in Canada for this.
- will it be easier to start the EE process from scratch for her alone?
- is there any chance of CIC extending the immigrant visa if we go through the medicals again?

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1- Sponsorship.
2- Yes, she can apply on her own.
3- You can try contacting your visa office but I've only seen extensions granted under exceptional circumstances.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hey guys,

We have our CoPRs and our immigrant visas are scheduled to expire on May 2nd, 2018. I am the principal applicant while my wife is the dependent.

My wife is on a student visa in the US (F1) with an extension pending, so her attorneys have advised against her traveling outside the country until her extension is approved, which has near zero chances of coming through before May 2nd.

Now her visa expires if she doesn't land by May 2, so what are our options at this point?
- can I land as the PA and then request her to be added as a dependent applicant? As I understand, this process takes up to 14 months, and I will physically need to be in Canada for this.
- will it be easier to start the EE process from scratch for her alone?
- is there any chance of CIC extending the immigrant visa if we go through the medicals again?
You can land and then sponsor her later, if she can't land before the COPR expires.
IRCC only reissue a COPR if they made a mistake, not if it has been processed correctly but allowed to lapse.
Sponsorship seems to be the most reasonable course of action. You can start that as soon as you take up residence in Canada.