26-11-12
Med's Done....
06-12-12
Passport Req..
26-11-12
VISA ISSUED...
20-06-13
Hello everyone,

I have a question about this dependent child over 22 years old. If you could clarify me about this, I would really appreciate it.

I sponsored my parents and I submitted my application october 2008. At that time, my brother was under 22 aged so include them as dependents of parents.His date was locked in at that time by cic. Now, I received a letter from the immigration asking for additional documents.

In IMM008 form, asked what type of dependent is my brother. My other brother is now 25 years old, can I put Type A even he is not at present . I am so confused. please suggest me should i put Type A or B.

Please if someone could clarify and help me with this, please help!Thanks

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
This is from the Applicant Guide - My best guess is that the issue is explained in the note at the bottom. It's true that your brother is "locked in" as far as age, but they still want confirmation that he is not now married or involved in a common-law relationship. You will still designate him as Type A - he does not have to meet the other criteria for eligibility as an "over 22 yr old". His designation does not change from Type A - that's what's meant by "locked in". But they may be wanting to verify that he is still single. I don't know, considering you did not say what type of other information they're requesting.

Definitions of dependent child (types A, B and C)

Your child or the child of your spouse or common-law partner can be considered a dependent child if that child meets the requirements of types A, B or C below:

TYPE A

The child is under the age of 22 and is single (not married and not in a common-law relationship).

TYPE B
The child has been continuously enrolled in and in attendance as a full‑time student at a post‑secondary institution accredited by the relevant government authority and has depended substantially on the financial support of a parent either:

since before the age of 22, or
since marrying or entering into a common-law relationship (if it happened before the age of 22).

TYPE C
The child is 22 years of age or older, has depended substantially on the financial support of a parent since before the age of 22, and is unable to provide for himself or herself because of a medical condition.

Note: Dependent children must meet the above requirements on the day the Case Processing Centre in Mississauga (CPC-M) receives a complete application. Whether or not they have attained the age of 22, children falling under type A must not be married or be involved in a common-law relationship at the time of visa issuance and when they enter Canada.

kyzel29

Star Member
Aug 12, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
JULY 2012
Doc's Request.
AUG. 2012
AOR Received.
NOV. 7, 2012
Med's Request
JUNE 2015
Med's Done....
JUNE 25, 2015
Interview........
SEPTEMBER 30, 2015
Passport Req..
JUNE 2015
VISA ISSUED...
SOON :)
LANDED..........
RobsLuv said:
This is from the Applicant Guide - My best guess is that the issue is explained in the note at the bottom. It's true that your brother is "locked in" as far as age, but they still want confirmation that he is not now married or involved in a common-law relationship. You will still designate him as Type A - he does not have to meet the other criteria for eligibility as an "over 22 yr old". His designation does not change from Type A - that's what's meant by "locked in". But they may be wanting to verify that he is still single. I don't know, considering you did not say what type of other information they're requesting.

Your child or the child of your spouse or common-law partner can be considered a dependent child if that child meets the requirements of types A, B or C below:

TYPE A

The child is under the age of 22 and is single (not married and not in a common-law relationship).

TYPE B
The child has been continuously enrolled in and in attendance as a full‑time student at a post‑secondary institution accredited by the relevant government authority and has depended substantially on the financial support of a parent either:

since marrying or entering into a common-law relationship (if it happened before the age of 22).

TYPE C
The child is 22 years of age or older, has depended substantially on the financial support of a parent since before the age of 22, and is unable to provide for himself or herself because of a medical condition.

Note: Dependent children must meet the above requirements on the day the Case Processing Centre in Mississauga (CPC-M) receives a complete application. Whether or not they have attained the age of 22, children falling under type A must not be married or be involved in a common-law relationship at the time of visa issuance and when they enter Canada.
hello gud eve...can i ask a question...im the dependent of my mom..she pass her papers when i was 19 years old...im a little bit confuse because i graduated in my 4yrs course last march 2011...after that i took the board exam last july 2011..then i enrolled in a 2 years course last oct.2011...i just turn 22 last june 2012...
Do u think im applicable for type B dependent..
hope u reply...i really really need your help..thankd

rahulchd

May 15, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16 May 2012
AOR Received.
14 Aug 2012
File Transfer...
20 Aug 2012
Interview........
Telephonic Interview 10 Oct 2012
Passport Req..
11 Sep 2012, Passport recd by New Delhi on 17 Sep 2012
VISA ISSUED...
In Process: 11 Oct 2012, Decision Made: 30 November 2012
LANDED..........
10 Dec 2012, Destination: Edmonton, Alberta
HI!

Robsluv is 100 percent right. As this is rule and law, so what it says it is right. So lock in age rule is if application submitted before 22 years of age, that is 100 percent perfect still if the dependant child turns to even 32 if process is going he /she will be 22 or whatever age on the date application got submitted for his immigration case but cannot marry to maintain this dependant status. Studying clause is for those whose application gets submitted after 22 years of age.

Type A is applicable in your case kyzel29

kyzel29

Star Member
Aug 12, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
JULY 2012
Doc's Request.
AUG. 2012
AOR Received.
NOV. 7, 2012
Med's Request
JUNE 2015
Med's Done....
JUNE 25, 2015
Interview........
SEPTEMBER 30, 2015
Passport Req..
JUNE 2015
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
rahulchd said:
HI!

Robsluv is 100 percent right. As this is rule and law, so what it says it is right. So lock in age rule is if application submitted before 22 years of age, that is 100 percent perfect still if the dependant child turns to even 32 if process is going he /she will be 22 or whatever age on the date application got submitted for his immigration case but cannot marry to maintain this dependant status. Studying clause is for those whose application gets submitted after 22 years of age.

Type A is applicable in your case kyzel29
but the embassy sent me a form regarding my continuous study....

BATZ22

Oct 11, 2013
kyzel29 said:
but the embassy sent me a form regarding my continuous study....
kyzel parehas tayo ng issue..un nga lng nd ako ngaral pagkagrad ko..20 ako grumaduate at ung mommy ko ang hinahanapan ng continuous education.kasi nung ngapply ako type a ako..my passport request knb?nsa canada knb/

kyzel29

Star Member
Aug 12, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
JULY 2012
Doc's Request.
AUG. 2012
AOR Received.
NOV. 7, 2012
Med's Request
JUNE 2015
Med's Done....
JUNE 25, 2015
Interview........
SEPTEMBER 30, 2015
Passport Req..
JUNE 2015
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
BATZ22 said:
kyzel parehas tayo ng issue..un nga lng nd ako ngaral pagkagrad ko..20 ako grumaduate at ung mommy ko ang hinahanapan ng continuous education.kasi nung ngapply ako type a ako..my passport request knb?nsa canada knb/
Yup..waiting for visa nlng.

h.mht.1991

Jun 25, 2023

TYPE A

TYPE B

TYPE C

Hi,

That’s so important for me to find the answer, previously thankful for helping.
What is the exact definition of a dependent child who is eligible to be sponsored? The definition of immigration site for children over 22 is not clear.
I worked for a few years after 22, but always supported by family for housing. I’ve been unable to work for some time due to mental condition and mom supports me. Am I eligible to be sponsored by her? Mother & two brothers are in Canada & father is deceased.

Thanks in advance