+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dependent children education

shmschon123

Jan 2, 2021
I understand that as long as I have study permit my child can get free education. But I would like to know after I complete my study and get the pgwp will my child still get free education.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Yes but your children need approved visitor visas. However more and more families are being asked to get study permits for their children too. You will not know until you apply. This will cover their education while on study permit and PGWP.

Reactions: shmschon123

shmschon123

Jan 2, 2021
Yes but your children need approved visitor visas. However more and more families are being asked to get study permits for their children too. You will not know until you apply. This will cover their education while on study permit and PGWP.
Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I understand that as long as I have study permit my child can get free education. But I would like to know after I complete my study and get the pgwp will my child still get free education.
Only for elementary and high school. They will be international students and need study permits for any college/university.

RS20201

Star Member
Sep 8, 2020
Hi Naturgrl,

Good day. My query is regarding dependent child's visitor record extension when I apply for my PGWP.

I entered Canada on a study permit and received a visitor record for my minor daughter in 2021; both docs with validity until 30 July 2023. While I completed my masters the University, my daughter completed her grade 9 in a local Canadian public school, and is now in High School.

I recently applied for PGWP and in the same application mentioned that my daughter will be accompanying me(date of application: 4 May 2023). There was no additional document request for my daughter except the usual IMM5708e form for "APPLICATION TO EXTEND MY STAY AS A VISITOR IN CANADA". I received a confirmation for my PGWP authorising me to work until 31 Aug 2023 for any employer or until i receive a decision, whichever is first.

My question is whether any extension/ acknowledgement letter is sent by IRCC for visitor record extension submitted with the PGWP request? Does their validity to stay extend as well? Please refer highlighted dates above for reference.

Alternatively, please guide whether i need to separately apply for a Study Permit for my daughter by creating a new GC KEY login for her? I am getting mixed reviews where some state that if a minor dependent child is already going to a school in Canada, the parent need not apply for a separate study permit for the dependent kid when submitting PGWP application. The minor kid's visitor record is linked to the parents' Study Permit and will be renewed for the same duration of the PGWP.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi Naturgrl,

Good day. My query is regarding dependent child's visitor record extension when I apply for my PGWP.

I entered Canada on a study permit and received a visitor record for my minor daughter in 2021; both docs with validity until 30 July 2023. While I completed my masters the University, my daughter completed her grade 9 in a local Canadian public school, and is now in High School.

I recently applied for PGWP and in the same application mentioned that my daughter will be accompanying me(date of application: 4 May 2023). There was no additional document request for my daughter except the usual IMM5708e form for "APPLICATION TO EXTEND MY STAY AS A VISITOR IN CANADA". I received a confirmation for my PGWP authorising me to work until 31 Aug 2023 for any employer or until i receive a decision, whichever is first.

My question is whether any extension/ acknowledgement letter is sent by IRCC for visitor record extension submitted with the PGWP request? Does their validity to stay extend as well? Please refer highlighted dates above for reference.

Alternatively, please guide whether i need to separately apply for a Study Permit for my daughter by creating a new GC KEY login for her? I am getting mixed reviews where some state that if a minor dependent child is already going to a school in Canada, the parent need not apply for a separate study permit for the dependent kid when submitting PGWP application. The minor kid's visitor record is linked to the parents' Study Permit and will be renewed for the same duration of the PGWP.
Grade 9 is high school in Canada so if the school didn’t ask for a study permit then she is okay. Would send the visitor extension separate from PGWP.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi Naturgrl,

Would provide proof of your PGWP application and proof that you are working and apply for a visitor record. You can verify with your child’s school if a TRV and proof that you are on PGWP or employed before PGWP approved continues to be fine or whether they now need a study permit.

RS20201

Star Member
Sep 8, 2020
Would provide proof of your PGWP application and proof that you are working and apply for a visitor record. You can verify with your child’s school if a TRV and proof that you are on PGWP or employed before PGWP approved continues to be fine or whether they now need a study permit.
Thank you so much for your crisp and valuable reply.