+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dependent child sponsorship-Child born to PR parents outside Canada

Simulation_Ex

Sep 24, 2017
Hi All,
Myself, my wife and 2 kids became a PR on Nov,18 and we had to return back to our home country due to work commitments. In the meanwhile we were blessed with a child born outside Canada (4 months old now). I have returned to Canada leaving my family back in our home country for sponsoring my child. I have submitted the sponsorship application for my child 1 week back. The question I have is:

1) I'm planning to continue to be physically present in Canada for the entire duration, but I will have to go to our home country (primarily for bringing my family permanently to Canada ) for a duration of 2 months by April. An absence of 2 months will it be an issue during the sponsorship? If 2 months is an issue, what would be the ideal duration that's acceptable to CIC.

2) Due to the current Covid-19 Pandemic situation is there any change in this requirement of the sponsor to be physically present in Canada. Any sort of relaxation announced in this regard?

Kindly guide me, it will help us in taking sound decisions.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi All,
Myself, my wife and 2 kids became a PR on Nov,18 and we had to return back to our home country due to work commitments. In the meanwhile we were blessed with a child born outside Canada (4 months old now). I have returned to Canada leaving my family back in our home country for sponsoring my child. I have submitted the sponsorship application for my child 1 week back. The question I have is:

1) I'm planning to continue to be physically present in Canada for the entire duration, but I will have to go to our home country (primarily for bringing my family permanently to Canada ) for a duration of 2 months by April. An absence of 2 months will it be an issue during the sponsorship? If 2 months is an issue, what would be the ideal duration that's acceptable to CIC.

2) Due to the current Covid-19 Pandemic situation is there any change in this requirement of the sponsor to be physically present in Canada. Any sort of relaxation announced in this regard?

1. 2 months is too long. 2-3 weeks seems to be overlooked. If you haven't started the sponsorship process it is unlikely to be completed by April/May. You can attempt o to apply for a TRV for your child. I would apply now. If you get denied you can attempt to get a TRP for your child. In some province the baby won't qualify for healthcare until PR so you'll need to buy insurance.

Simulation_Ex

Sep 24, 2017
1. 2 months is too long. 2-3 weeks seems to be overlooked. If you haven't started the sponsorship process it is unlikely to be completed by April/May. You can attempt o to apply for a TRV for your child. I would apply now. If you get denied you can attempt to get a TRP for your child. In some province the baby won't qualify for healthcare until PR so you'll need to buy insurance.
Thank you Canuck for your reply. I shall try to restrict my travel duration to the minimum possible.
I have already submitted my sponsorship application and Now I'm about to submit an application for TRV . I hope this TRV might get processed by April/May so that my wife and 2 older kids could meet the residency obligations safely without much trouble.
Does it adds any value if I apply for the TRV after the approval of SPONSOR ELIGIBILITY? or is it better to apply for the TRV right away?

sach429

Feb 8, 2018
Hi Canuck

Could you please provide some guidance with somewhat similar situation that I’m in

Me and my wife are PR holders but residing in US. We had a baby recently who is US citizen
We’re planning to move to Canada permanently within next 2 months
Per my knowledge
My son doesn’t need a visitor visa to enter Canada and stay for less than 6 months
I am eligible to sponsor my son’s PR once I’m in Canada
Correct me if I’m wrong
Having said that, keeping the current situation in mind, what if I apply for PR but it doesn’t get approved within 6 months? Can my son still continue to stay in Canada by virtue of the PR application? I understand there’s a provision for extending a visitor visa, since my son doesn’t have a visa in the first place should I be applying for a visitor visa before moving to Canada? But I don’t think I can wait till the visitor visa gets approved so what other option do I have?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you Canuck for your reply. I shall try to restrict my travel duration to the minimum possible.
I have already submitted my sponsorship application and Now I'm about to submit an application for TRV . I hope this TRV might get processed by April/May so that my wife and 2 older kids could meet the residency obligations safely without much trouble.
Does it adds any value if I apply for the TRV after the approval of SPONSOR ELIGIBILITY? or is it better to apply for the TRV right away?
No difference if you apply after you get sponsorship eligibility. Would apply for the TRV as soon as possible. A TRV isn't guaranteed which is why you should try for TRP if denied a TRV. If denied both you'll need to wait for sponsorship.

AM_2022

Mar 29, 2022
Hi All,

Hi What Steps you took for your situation, if you can please guide us? Thanks.