+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dependent child PR question

massprvan

Star Member
Aug 20, 2021
We will be applying for PR. Been in Canada for 16 years on work permit!

My question is, I will be including my stepson(allowed as a dependent child) on our PR application
But he is a Junior in University in Thailand, will be likely a Senior when/if we get approved.
But he may also have to do a 1 year military service after graduation..........

How long does he have to come to Canada? I read somewhere it is a year? If 1 year,, I wonder if we can appeal that with info provided of his education situation?

Thanks for any help provided

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
We will be applying for PR. Been in Canada for 16 years on work permit!

My question is, I will be including my stepson(allowed as a dependent child) on our PR application
But he is a Junior in University in Thailand, will be likely a Senior when/if we get approved.
But he may also have to do a 1 year military service after graduation..........

How long does he have to come to Canada? I read somewhere it is a year? If 1 year,, I wonder if we can appeal that with info provided of his education situation?

Thanks for any help provided
He can be included in the application as long as he's under 22 years old at the time your application is received by IRCC.

Your family will likely have less than a year to move once PR is approved. The landing visa expiry date will be dependent on when you completed medicals.

There's no way to extend the landing date. He will need to travel to Canada before the expiry date on the visa.

massprvan

Star Member
Aug 20, 2021
He can be included in the application as long as he's under 22 years old at the time your application is received by IRCC.

Your family will likely have less than a year to move once PR is approved. The landing visa expiry date will be dependent on when you completed medicals.

There's no way to extend the landing date. He will need to travel to Canada before the expiry date on the visa.
Thanks for the info..........he will be 21yrs old when application is filed.
Now we will need to deal with Thai military service, I think there are ways to defer

My wife and I live in Canada, would just be him that needs to move here.

Appreciate the response