+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dependent child age changed during application process

Traveler2021

Jul 23, 2021
My son was 21 at the time of applying for my study permit in March and turned 22 in May I was granted a study permit and he received a temporary visa. I requested an authorisation letter for him to travel and he was denied. Is there anyway I can appeal this since he was 21 at the beginning of the process? He is my support for my two younger kids while I study and work.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
He is not longer an independent as he is now 22. There is no appeal process because his age is not locked in. In September when borders open more, he may be allowed to enter if he meets eligibility conditions. He should have a return ticket. He can't work in Canada. And technically he can't look after his siblings because he would need a work permit (which he is not eligible for unless you apply for a LMIA under caregiver program).

COVID-19: Travel, testing, quarantine and borders - Travel.gc.ca

Reactions: YVR123

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My son was 21 at the time of applying for my study permit in March and turned 22 in May I was granted a study permit and he received a temporary visa. I requested an authorisation letter for him to travel and he was denied. Is there anyway I can appeal this since he was 21 at the beginning of the process? He is my support for my two younger kids while I study and work.
If he is able to enter as a visitor in September he will be asked to show his funds to support his visit and what he is doing in Canada, proof of return travel, ties to his home country like a job, home, etc. Given his age and his inability to work in Canada it would be very unusual for him to be able to visit longterm. As an adult he would be expected to either be studying or working and he can’t do either in Canada.