+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dental care

bkd1969

May 1, 2011
I am living in the USA. I pay $550 for crown and my insurance pays the rest of %500-600, pretty much 50% co-pay.

My question is, if I have a job in Canada and have a dental insurance, what portion I should pay for the crown? and how much, typically? Hard to get appointment also? thanks.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No - it's not difficult to get an appointment.

There's no black and white answer for what % you should pay. How much you pay depends on what plan your company offers and how much coverage you select (if that's an option). For example, my company (one of the big banks) offers three levels of coverage to employees. The level of coverage you select affects the % covered. For crowns, I believe the coverage would be 0%, 50% or 80% depending on the level of overall coverage the employee selects.

bkd1969

May 1, 2011
scylla said:
No - it's not difficult to get an appointment.

There's no black and white answer for what % you should pay. How much you pay depends on what plan your company offers and how much coverage you select (if that's an option). For example, my company (one of the big banks) offers three levels of coverage to employees. The level of coverage you select affects the % covered. For crowns, I believe the coverage would be 0%, 50% or 80% depending on the level of overall coverage the employee selects.
ok, if you do crown, based on your coverage plan, how much you have to pay from your pocket? I mean very generally. I have some crowns to be done, and I need this information to help me decide I will do all here all in Canada. thanks.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

bkd1969 said:
ok, if you do crown, based on your coverage plan, how much you have to pay from your pocket? I mean very generally. I have some crowns to be done, and I need this information to help me decide I will do all here all in Canada. thanks.
I just paid $1200 for a crown.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I would have to pay 50% of the total cost under my plan.

bkd1969

May 1, 2011
PMM said:
Hi

I just paid $1200 for a crown.
well, i need to rush to get all my teeth crowned, making them like kings if not queens, assuming you have normal dental insurance. Paying $500 instead of $1200 is a steal!!!!

zajirima

Nov 8, 2012
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 2012
Get your dental done in U.S. before coming to Canada. It's way cheaper in most cases. Like most everything else.

low

Star Member
Dec 31, 2009
Get everything fixed before coming over....dental is very expensive here. I just received a $1700 treatment plan for my daughter's baby teeth. This is alrdy After deducting $950 coverage from my insurance coverage....it s no joke!

Fredrick_n

May 5, 2017
this thread is ages old, but anyways, its scary !
I thought Canada was known for its good health care system, but all i read here is "terms and conditions apply", and even when they apply, the prices are still scary !

wondering why that is ...

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
this thread is ages old, but anyways, its scary !
I thought Canada was known for its good health care system, but all i read here is "terms and conditions apply", and even when they apply, the prices are still scary !

wondering why that is ...
Your question isn't very clear.

Dental care isn't covered by provincial health care systems. Some employers offer additional benefit plans that cover all or part of the cost of dental care (mine covers 80-100% depending on what's done). Otherwise you have to pay for this care on your own.

Fredrick_n

May 5, 2017
Your question isn't very clear.

Dental care isn't covered by provincial health care systems. Some employers offer additional benefit plans that cover all or part of the cost of dental care (mine covers 80-100% depending on what's done). Otherwise you have to pay for this care on your own.
Wasn't much of a question, as much as it was me being confused !

I hear everywhere that Canada health care system is superior. they even made jokes about it !

( in an alternate universe, Breaking Bad happens in Canada.
Doc : you have cancer, treatment begins next week.
The END ! )

but all I read in this forum, explains a system like other countries. a visit to the doctor, meds, procedures, ambulance ride,everything is to be paid by the patient. this is while taxes make almost a third of every Canadian's income.

It feels like there is some point I'm missing.

NetMecca

Dec 12, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
14-07-2009
Canada healthcare is superior in some ways and not that great in others. Emergency care, hospital care is is generally excellent. Fails are availability of other services covered by government plans. Unless it is an emergency you are often required to wait. Friend had to have both knees replaced. Procedure is covered by government plan however she had to wait 6 months for one and another 6 for the second. MRI could take 2-3 months for an appointment. Where I live there are not nearly enough doctors (house doctor). I have not been able to find a doctor for 3years now (that accepts new patients) to do the most basic of tests. My annual medical. I am generally very healthy so not too much of a concern, though the point remains.

Services not covered by the government plan, are more available and easy to get. Things like dental chiro etc. Though you have to pay for those yourself and fairly expensive.

Depending on your employer arranged private medical plan coverage, these expenses are typically well spoken for in private plans. How much you pay is also determined by your employer plan combined with your own selected percentages. I have seen plans pay from 50% to 100% usually with some caps on values. E.g. Dental implants will be covered however rarely in full value and most often the funds available will pay for 1 maybe two implants a year. Most regular checkups and fillings are typically covered based on percentages elected and covered. Limited value based though.

Prescribed medicine works more or less the same as dental.

Hope this helps

Reactions: Fredrick_n