+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Denied tourist visa at port of entry ?

Lat Lat

Jan 27, 2012
Dear all

Please can you assist ? I am a UK citizen and was sponsored by my wife for immigration to Canada. My appication was declined as a result of misreprentation and I could not travel to Canada. My two ban is now over. When asked to Immigration office in London if I could travel to Canada , I was infomred that "there is a risk that I may be denied entry into Canada although this determination can only be made in Canada" If I had a return ticket and a letter from my employer of my confimred return date , can I be denied entry for a period of 3 weeks ? |Does anyone have any similar issue and then denied entry

Grateful for your response

belee1985

Star Member
Feb 19, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes they can deny you. They have every right to have you turn back at the border. Since your visa has been rejected once, you will have more extensive questioning at the border. But to answer your question, yes, they have every right to refuse you at the port-of-entry.

Lat Lat

Jan 27, 2012
thank you thats very helpful . fully understand that they can deny , however , wanted to know if there is a general rule as to how often to they deny ..

belee1985

Star Member
Feb 19, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There's never a "set rule". It really depends on the officer and how satisfied he is with your answers or presence in the country. They can anything into an excuse for refusal.

caledonia

Mar 12, 2012
Hi, I called immigration services last week about re entering canada after overstaying, i spoke to 2 seperate people who told me that they had never heard of anyone being turned around and being put on a plane home (I dont know how true that is but I did hear it from 2 different people I spoke to) They also told me that it is better to fly in rather than crossing by a land border as they would refuse you a lot easier as you havent entered Canada yet. Again I dont want to say for sure either way but thats what I was told!

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
caledonia said:
Hi, I called immigration services last week about re entering canada after overstaying, i spoke to 2 seperate people who told me that they had never heard of anyone being turned around and being put on a plane home (I dont know how true that is but I did hear it from 2 different people I spoke to) They also told me that it is better to fly in rather than crossing by a land border as they would refuse you a lot easier as you havent entered Canada yet. Again I dont want to say for sure either way but thats what I was told!
Actually, they have turned people at the airport around and sent them back where they were coming from. Just because 2 people in all of Immigration have not heard of it does not mean it hasn't or can't happen.

I read of a case on CanLII where a lady was arriving from China to land as a permanent resident and because they knew prior to her arrival that she had committed some misrepresentations (after receiving her PR visa), the officer at Pearson gave her the opportunity to choose to remain in Canada and face a report on the matter or return to her country and sort things out with the visa office that issued her visa. So, yes, you can be turned around at the discretion of the border officers, it is their job to decide whether someone is admissible when they are standing before them.

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
In order to enter Canada as a visa-exempt national (which you are, as a citizen of the UK) you have to be able to demonstrate, when you are examined for entry at the Canadian border, that you intend to return to your home country at the end of your authorized stay. Your situation is complicated because of your misrepresentation and subsequent refusal of permanent status - so they're not going to want to let you in. You have already shown that you will lie in order to gain status in Canada - and that's not good.

It will depend on the officer who examines you at the port of entry - if you can prove that you actually intend to go back (job proof, residence proof, proof of return trip itinerary) they might let you in, but I would suspect if they do, they'll document you on a Visitor Record for a specific period of time and require that you check in with border services to prove your departure.

As has already been said, they don't have to let you in . . . and, unfortunately, there's no way to know whether they will or not until you make the trip and try. Visa-exempt nationals have no way to apply in advance of travel for permission to enter the country - you'll have to deal with the officers at the POE and hope for the best.