+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Denied re-entry to USA for working illegally, can I apply for Canada work permit? Please help me..

Skumars901

Aug 6, 2018
I was on my F1 Visa, I came to India between semester break, at port of entry I was stopped and through my phone, immigration officer concluded that I was working illegally and 5years ban was imposed stating insufficient documents. Now I am applying for work permit to Canada, can this situation affect my work permit Visa for Canada, please help me..

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I was on my F1 Visa, I came to India between semester break, at port of entry I was stopped and through my phone, immigration officer concluded that I was working illegally and 5years ban was imposed stating insufficient documents. Now I am applying for work permit to Canada, can this situation affect my work permit Visa for Canada, please help me..
The fact you were refused entry into the US may very well impact your ability to get a work permit for Canada. You will want to demonstrate that you have strong ties to your home country and have no plans on remaining in Canada long term. Also, I assume you must already have a job offer in Canada and your employer has obtained an approved LMIA.

When you submit the Canadian work permit, make sure you are 100% honest about your immigration history in the US. If you fail to declare your US immigration history, your work permit to Canada will be refused and you will be banned from Canada for 5 years for misrepresentation. Canada and the US share immigration information so if you try to hide your histroy - this information will be easily found.

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Yes it can, you will need to disclose this on your application form and they will decide it its a reason to reject you or not, if you don't disclose it they will ban you also for misrepresentation.

Skumars901

Aug 6, 2018
The fact you were refused entry into the US may very well impact your ability to get a work permit for Canada. You will want to demonstrate that you have strong ties to your home country and have no plans on remaining in Canada long term. Also, I assume you must already have a job offer in Canada and your employer has obtained an approved LMIA.

When you submit the Canadian work permit, make sure you are 100% honest about your immigration history in the US. If you fail to declare your US immigration history, your work permit to Canada will be refused and you will be banned from Canada for 5 years for misrepresentation. Canada and the US share immigration information so if you try to hide your histroy - this information will be easily found.

rumik77

Aug 9, 2018
Hi Skumars901.

I was wondering if you had a valid USA student visa when u try to enter back? And where did the officer stop you at? At the USA border or Canadian border? Please reply. I also have worked without authorization under F1. I still have a valid SEVIS, valid I-20, but expired five years ago student visa. I wanted to travel to Canada and come back under automatic visa revalidation, but i am afraid if they might find out I have worked illigally. Any thoughts and suggestions will be much appreciated.

Skumars901

Aug 6, 2018
Hi Skumars901.

I was wondering if you had a valid USA student visa when u try to enter back? And where did the officer stop you at? At the USA border or Canadian border? Please reply. I also have worked without authorization under F1. I still have a valid SEVIS, valid I-20, but expired five years ago student visa. I wanted to travel to Canada and come back under automatic visa revalidation, but i am afraid if they might find out I have worked illigally. Any thoughts and suggestions will be much appreciated.
I had a valid Visa, Canada and USA share biometric information , but don't know what happens after five years and I also think your SEVIS must have expired long back as it is connected with college. I was stopped at Chicago airport and actual fact is that I never worked in gas station where the picture was taken, but the officer was not ready to listen to me. He ruined my career, it's really frustrating when such things happens, hope God bless him and his family.

rumik77

Aug 9, 2018
OMG!!!! Are you serious? Thats crazy. Who did take a pic of you at the gas station? I have a valid SEVIS, I am doing my MBA here, but I wokred in the past outside of campus using a valid SSN under f1. Do you think the CBP officer has information about our taxes ? How can they track we worked here illegally ? I am so sorry this happened to you. These people at the border are the worst to deal with.

Skumars901

Aug 6, 2018
Ok I thought you are outside USA. I don't think that would be a problem, make sure you don't have pictures of gas station or retail store in your mobile.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
These people at the border are the worst to deal with.
Sorry, but I don’t see how your violating the conditions of your visa and the laws of your host country and then getting caught doing it makes CBP (or CBSA for that matter) the worst people to deal with. If you weren’t breaking the law (that’s why they call it illegal work), it wouldn’t be an issue.

Reactions: Copingwithlife

rumik77

Aug 9, 2018
I am planning to travel to Canada and since my f1 is expired I want to use automatic visa revalidation. So I am worried that at the port of entry they mind find out about my past illegal work. I have a valid I-20, I94, but expired student visa five years ago. Do you think they can run my social security at the border to determine whether or not I worked here without authorization? And sure thing, I wont have any pictures of myself in my phone.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am planning to travel to Canada and since my f1 is expired I want to use automatic visa revalidation. So I am worried that at the port of entry they mind find out about my past illegal work. I have a valid I-20, I94, but expired student visa five years ago. Do you think they can run my social security at the border to determine whether or not I worked here without authorization? And sure thing, I wont have any pictures of myself in my phone.
Coming into Canada won't be an issue. Re-entering the US could be. Hard to say.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes, I understand. The re-entry raises my concerns. I was hoping someone here could share a similar experience or smth.
I would post this to a US immigration forum.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Just throwing this out there, people are granted certain visa's that have strict conditions stipulated on them. They break the conditions THEY agreed too, and when they are found in violation of these conditions, the blame is some how put on the individuals aka Border Patrol/INS who are supposed to enforce these conditions otherwise known as immigration law? Easiest way to avoid this is too, not break the law

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Just throwing this out there, people are granted certain visa's that have strict conditions stipulated on them. They break the conditions THEY agreed too, and when they are found in violation of these conditions, the blame is some how put on the individuals aka Border Patrol/INS who are supposed to enforce these conditions otherwise known as immigration law? Easiest way to avoid this is too, not break the law
Totally agree. Border Patrol/INS are not "the worst to deal with". People bring this on themselves by breaking the law.