+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Denied entry or ordered to leave Canada in the past

Praveen296

Mar 27, 2023
Hello everyone. I have received an ITA recently under FSW category and currently filling the initial Permanent Residence application. There is a question under Personal history section which states "Has ABC ever been refused a visa or permit, denied entry or ordered to leave Canada or any other country?". In 2021 I entered Canada for the first time by road with my car on Rainbow bridge from USA using my tourist visa. On the Canadian side, they asked me to pull over to inspect my car as I brought a lot of items on it. The car had some bags which contained my sister's clothes and utensils (Sister is a PR holder). I told the border officer that it belonged to my sister after which he told me that he was sending me back to the US (Seems I was not supposed to bring third party goods). Hence I drove back to the US (Without any evidence or receipt from Canadian side about being denied), dropped my sister's luggage and entered Canada through Rainbow bridge within 30 minutes. The border officer on Canada could remember me and he briefly checked my car and let me in. I have visited Canada 2 times after this (On flight) with no further checking or questions.

So does my experience qualify as denial of entry or ordered to leave Canada? I am unsure of what to answer.

moscatojuices

Champion Member
Feb 21, 2022
Hello everyone. I have received an ITA recently under FSW category and currently filling the initial Permanent Residence application. There is a question under Personal history section which states "Has ABC ever been refused a visa or permit, denied entry or ordered to leave Canada or any other country?". In 2021 I entered Canada for the first time by road with my car on Rainbow bridge from USA using my tourist visa. On the Canadian side, they asked me to pull over to inspect my car as I brought a lot of items on it. The car had some bags which contained my sister's clothes and utensils (Sister is a PR holder). I told the border officer that it belonged to my sister after which he told me that he was sending me back to the US (Seems I was not supposed to bring third party goods). Hence I drove back to the US (Without any evidence or receipt from Canadian side about being denied), dropped my sister's luggage and entered Canada through Rainbow bridge within 30 minutes. The border officer on Canada could remember me and he briefly checked my car and let me in. I have visited Canada 2 times after this (On flight) with no further checking or questions.

So does my experience qualify as denial of entry or ordered to leave Canada? I am unsure of what to answer.
Yes.

Praveen296

Mar 27, 2023
Thank you for your response. Why do you think so? There was no official record provided to me about sending me back. Nothing stamped on passport about it. No questions asked when I entered Canada twice after this experience. So am I opening new arena of scrutiny on my PR application because of answering yes?

moscatojuices

Champion Member
Feb 21, 2022
Thank you for your response. Why do you think so? There was no official record provided to me about sending me back. Nothing stamped on passport about it. No questions asked when I entered Canada twice after this experience. So am I opening new arena of scrutiny on my PR application because of answering yes?
Well you don't know that. They could have looked at your passport and noted a denial in GCMS, why bother taking the risk? And who gives a shit if you declare it? It's ALWAYS safer to say yes when in doubt. People get turned back all the time - it's not like you were deemed inadmissible due to your background or some other sinister finding, so this isn't going to be something an officer gives two hoots about (unless you fail to disclose it). You came to Canada, got turned back as there were certain goods not permitted, and then came back and entered. Big deal!

You can answer no and get a refusal/deportation if you want, try your luck!

Daren2023

Jan 20, 2023
Category........
FSW
I would say "yes" and explain the ordeal. I think it is the safer option. IMO it is better to provide extra info than to be accused of hiding something.

Praveen296

Mar 27, 2023
Well you don't know that. They could have looked at your passport and noted a denial in GCMS, why bother taking the risk? And who gives a shit if you declare it? It's ALWAYS safer to say yes when in doubt. People get turned back all the time - it's not like you were deemed inadmissible due to your background or some other sinister finding, so this isn't going to be something an officer gives two hoots about (unless you fail to disclose it). You came to Canada, got turned back as there were certain goods not permitted, and then came back and entered. Big deal!

You can answer no and get a refusal/deportation if you want, try your luck!
Thank you. I shall make a decision and let you know what decision I made

moscatojuices

Champion Member
Feb 21, 2022
Thank you. I shall make a decision and let you know what decision I made
If it's anything other than not declaring it, you are one crazy mofo and don't deserve PR. I know you'll make the right choice and forget about the person who potentially saved your ass (me), so you're welcome in advance and I hope I get your money or a share of these "third party" goods somehow.

Last edited:

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I told the border officer that it belonged to my sister after which he told me that he was sending me back to the US (Seems I was not supposed to bring third party goods). Hence I drove back to the US (Without any evidence or receipt from Canadian side about being denied), dropped my sister's luggage and entered Canada through Rainbow bridge within 30 minutes. The border officer on Canada could remember me and he briefly checked my car and let me in. I have visited Canada 2 times after this (On flight) with no further checking or questions.

How do you not see that as an `official' refusal to enter Canada? Was the officer that refused you NOT an offical CBSA officer? Of course he was. If I recall, questions like those in a PR application ask something along the lines of: "Have you ever been denied entry into Canada, or another country, blah blah bah...", to which you have to truthfully answer "YES".

Just because you didn't see what, if anything, the officer may have entered into GCMS, doesn't change the fact that you were denied entry into Canada...albeit for a short period of time.

By answering yes on your PR application, you are telling the truth and eliminating the chance of misrepresentation, which can be devastating for a PR applicant.

Don't overthink this; it's a `nothing burger'.

Praveen296

Mar 27, 2023
If it's anything other than not declaring it, you are one crazy mofo and don't deserve PR. I know you'll make the right choice and forget about the person who potentially saved your ass (me), so you're welcome in advance and I hope I get your money or a share of these "third party" goods somehow.
Hello. I answered it as "Yes" and explained the scenario. Thank you

Praveen296

Mar 27, 2023
How do you not see that as an `official' refusal to enter Canada? Was the officer that refused you NOT an offical CBSA officer? Of course he was. If I recall, questions like those in a PR application ask something along the lines of: "Have you ever been denied entry into Canada, or another country, blah blah bah...", to which you have to truthfully answer "YES".

Just because you didn't see what, if anything, the officer may have entered into GCMS, doesn't change the fact that you were denied entry into Canada...albeit for a short period of time.

By answering yes on your PR application, you are telling the truth and eliminating the chance of misrepresentation, which can be devastating for a PR applicant.

Don't overthink this; it's a `nothing burger'.
Thank you. Answered the question as a "Yes" and explained the scenario