+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Denied Citizenship due to being short by 28 days (which all were business travel

MW2015

Apr 14, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just received a letter from the St. Clare office stating that due to not meeting the 1460 days in country and only have 1432 I will not be eligible for citizenship. I did not know about all the reports you could file to check days, I did mine based on my own travel history documents. So yes I know I was short after receiving documents from both US and Canada border patrol documents.

I have 30 days to respond to the letter, anyone have any recommendations on how I should proceed. Or do I withdraw and re-apply. Frankly as one that pays a lot of taxes to this country I am about ready to just abandon the country. Very fed up you can't travel for work and still be considered eligible.

vop

Star Member
Apr 9, 2016
MW2015 said:
Just received a letter from the St. Clare office stating that due to not meeting the 1460 days in country and only have 1432 I will not be eligible for citizenship. I did not know about all the reports you could file to check days, I did mine based on my own travel history documents. So yes I know I was short after receiving documents from both US and Canada border patrol documents.

I have 30 days to respond to the letter, anyone have any recommendations on how I should proceed. Or do I withdraw and re-apply. Frankly as one that pays a lot of taxes to this country I am about ready to just abandon the country. Very fed up you can't travel for work and still be considered eligible.
if you now or if within 30 days will actually meet the days, cant you just send them them your reply stating that you will meet it now and requesting them to reconsider ?

The conservatives brought in the 4 out of 6 year rule. They somehow felt that making a person stay an extra year made them more "Canadian". If its just 28 days, just stay the 28 days and ask them to reconsider your application as you meet the requirements now. While I personally agree with the physical presence rule(as its easier to process the application), the length of 4 out of 6 years was an unnecessary change because the 3 out of 4 years rule had been working fine for decades before their interpretation of who made a better Canadian. The whole purpose of the 3 out of 4 was to ensure new Canadians had every opportunity opened to them to participate and be engaged fully in civic society. Conservatives just wanted uncertainty prolonged in the lives of new immigrants so that they would be more "grateful" to be here. The unsaid reason they made the change was that polling studies showed that the longer a person stayed here, the more conservative they became and thus a potential recruit to the CPC.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I would withdraw since you didn't qualify for citizenship at the time you applied and reapply once you do.

chikloo

Feb 6, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
vop said:
if you now or if within 30 days will actually meet the days, cant you just send them them your reply stating that you will meet it now and requesting them to reconsider ?

The conservatives brought in the 4 out of 6 year rule. They somehow felt that making a person stay an extra year made them more "Canadian". If its just 28 days, just stay the 28 days and ask them to reconsider your application as you meet the requirements now. While I personally agree with the physical presence rule(as its easier to process the application), the length of 4 out of 6 years was an unnecessary change because the 3 out of 4 years rule had been working fine for decades before their interpretation of who made a better Canadian. The whole purpose of the 3 out of 4 was to ensure new Canadians had every opportunity opened to them to participate and be engaged fully in civic society. Conservatives just wanted uncertainty prolonged in the lives of new immigrants so that they would be more "grateful" to be here. The unsaid reason they made the change was that polling studies showed that the longer a person stayed here, the more conservative they became and thus a potential recruit to the CPC.
It does not work that way. Even in 3 out of 4 years the moment you sign your application the residence days is final. No matter how many ever days you stay the counter does not start again. I have seen people get their application denied for even 1 or 2 days short and 28 days is a lot.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
MW2015 said:
You certainly can travel for work and still be eligible, and many, many people do. You just have to ensure that you comply with the law. You made a mistake in your calculations and I'm not sure why you are blaming the government for that.

Singh60

Oct 2, 2016
MW2015 said:

Dont put yourself in trouble for only 28 days now withdraw it and reapply, it will take few months only but if you tried to justified 28 days it could take years.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
MW2015 said:

Short answer:

The response by scylla says all that really needs to be said: if short of the 4 year physical presence requirement (at the time of applying), best to withdraw the application and, assuming you would meet the requirements as of now, re-apply.

A little longer answer regarding optional procedure in responding to the letter:

Regarding other ways to respond to the letter, apparently your application included a physical presence calculation claiming more than 1460 days of actual physical presence, but IRCC has identified additional time outside Canada and based on that will decline to grant citizenship. In this case, IRCC currently does not have the power to deny your application based on failing to meet the physical presence requirement so long as you claim to have met the physical presence requirement. In such a case, all IRCC can do is decline to grant citizenship and refer the case to a Citizenship Judge.

But if you are indeed short, taking the case all the way through the process would be futile. Neither IRCC nor the CJ have discretion to approve a grant of citizenship if an applicant is so much as one day short. The physical presence requirement is a fixed, minimum requirement. There is no discretion to grant citizenship for someone who is short, even if just by one day.

You are entitled to a fair procedure, however, including an opportunity to respond, which may include requesting a hearing with a Citizenship Officer, and even a hearing with a Citizenship Judge. I am not familiar with the contents of the letter you received, but one way or another it should allow you an opportunity to request a hearing or in-person interview with a Citizenship Officer before IRCC makes a formal decision to decline to grant citizenship. I believe the Citizenship Officer can decline the request for a hearing and decline your application and refer it to a Citizenship Judge; alternatively, the Officer could grant the request for a hearing and after the hearing then decline to grant citizenship and refer it to a CJ.

If you had good evidence that you were in fact present in Canada the dates IRCC identifies you were outside Canada, then of course the Citizenship Officer could decide the case in your favour and approve the grant of citizenship.

Alternatively, if you have and present such evidence, even if the Citizenship Officer declines to approve a grant of citizenship, you could present your evidence to a Citizenship Judge and the CJ, if persuaded by such evidence, could approve a grant of citizenship.

But it appears you concede that you failed to report all trips abroad and thus are in fact short, in which case the ultimate outcome will be the denial of citizenship on this application. Hence, best course of action to take is to withdraw the application and, if now eligible, re-apply.

Summary:

If indeed you were short of the actual physical presence requirement as of the day you applied, you were NOT eligible for citizenship. Thus, as scylla observed, there really is nothing you can do but withdraw the application . . . although technically you could go through the procedural motions leading to your application being formally denied.

Further observations and explanation:

As noted, if you were short of the physical presence requirement the day the application was made, you were NOT eligible and a negative outcome is and was a foregone conclusion.

Thus, for example, the following response is not even in the ball park:

vop said:
As others have noted, this is simply NOT how it works.

An applicant must meet the requirements as of the day the application is made, and then continue to meet the requirements until the oath is taken.

One day short = NOT eligible.

In terms of meeting the strict physical presence requirement, make no mistake, IRCC does not have discretion to grant citizenship for an applicant who is just one day short of the physical presence requirement. IRCC must decline to grant citizenship if the applicant is even just one day short. This is because the law imposes a fixed minimum requirement.

MW2015 said:
Very fed up you can't travel for work and still be considered eligible.
There really is nothing obscure or vague or confusing about a minimum physical presence requirement. Other than for some very narrow and obviously not applicable exceptions, there is nothing in the instructions, the physical presence calculator, the IRCC online information, or the guide for applying, which in any way suggests that time outside Canada will count as time physically present in Canada.

And, as torontosm observed, there is nothing about traveling abroad for work that precludes eligibility for Canadian citizenship. All the PR needs to do is meet the requirements for citizenship. In terms of meeting the physical presence requirement, a PR could easily travel abroad three to four months a year, for business or other purposes, and still meet the presence requirements and be eligible for citizenship. All the PR needs to do is be present at least six months in four of the preceding six years and average at least eight months a year in Canada otherwise. That allows a great deal of leeway for immigrants to take holidays abroad and travel for business abroad and still be eligible for citizenship.

Bottom-line: all applicants must report ALL time spent outside Canada.

Even those who do qualify for the narrow exceptions must nonetheless accurately report all days outside Canada.

Apparently you did not do that. And indeed you did not do that by at least 28 days. That is not a slight or minor omission. You are fortunate that IRCC is handling this as a mistake rather than a willful misrepresentation. Very fortunate. You should count your lucky stars.

But it does lead to this part of your post:

MW2015 said:
I did not know about all the reports you could file to check days, I did mine based on my own travel history documents. So yes I know I was short after receiving documents from both US and Canada border patrol documents.
Let's be clear: you were there each and every time you left Canada. Indeed, you are the one and only person in the whole world who for sure can know each and every time you left Canada and returned to Canada. Not sure why your own records failed to record the trips which you did not declare in your physical presence calculation, but the error was clearly your error.

I address this to reinforce, mostly for others, mostly for those who read this and might be planning to apply, the absolute importance of submitting a complete and accurate accounting of travel in the physical presence calculation.

There are no records maintained by anyone else, including the government, which an applicant can rely upon to be complete. Government records are almost certain to be accurate (recognizing though some errors may occur), but they are NOT necessarily complete. Again, the PR is the one and only person in the world who was there each and every trip and who thus is the one for-sure source who can know for-sure the date of every exit, the date of every return. And the person applying for citizenship has an obligation to completely and accurately report this information.

simoncanada

Dec 3, 2015
Singh60 said:
100% agree with Scylla withdraw and reapply.
I personally give so valued when Scylla reply any post and I trust he/she has very good knowledge about Canada immigration.

So I agree , withdraw the application

Take less stress rather than wait long time just sitting your application in Cic desk just for this reason

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
This is a good lesson learnt for those people on the forum who submit an application on day 1460 or close to with no buffer. How many times do people have to be told include a buffer just in case your days dont make it for some reason such as travel. After all citizenship is a life time benefit so what difference will a few extra days/months make to make sure application is accepted.

MW2015

Apr 14, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I guess they do not provide for any leeway of a man providing for his family with employment. My job takes me out of Canada 3 - 4 times a month in the past and now 1-2 weeks a month. I had a stent there where I did not travel so thought maybe I had enough days which on my calculation i did. Even if I resubmit application due to work travel looks like I will always be short. If I apply December 31 even shorter days only 1398 of the 1460 days. So no consideration for anything related to work travel. I guess I will never be a Canadian and will just have to deal with that fact.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
MW2015 said:
I guess they do not provide for any leeway of a man providing for his family with employment. My job takes me out of Canada 3 - 4 times a month in the past and now 1-2 weeks a month. I had a stent there where I did not travel so thought maybe I had enough days which on my calculation i did. Even if I resubmit application due to work travel looks like I will always be short. If I apply December 31 even shorter days only 1398 of the 1460 days. So no consideration for anything related to work travel. I guess I will never be a Canadian and will just have to deal with that fact.
There's no leeway - the residency requirement is a minimum requirement. It's an automatic refusal if you don't meet it.

The residency requirement is expected to change to 3 years out of 5 sometime in 2017. Maybe you'll qualify then.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
MW2015 said:
I do not think many people on the forum will disagree with you that the rules sometimes appear unfair especially if working for a Canadian company that requires an employee to travel out of the country on business.

Unfortunately the rules are what they are and the only possibility now for many people is to pray that sometime in 2017 the 3 year rule is reinstated to help out those in the limbo state in the 3-4 year bracket.

After all a PR can be assigned temporarily outside Canada working for a Canadian company and still accumulate residency days so you could ask why cannot someone working for a Canadian company who has to travel as part of their employment also count those days out for citizenship given its not likely as though they have a choice other than finding a job with no travel. As said rules are rules and most people will sympathise even though sympathy does not really help solve anything.