+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Deliver baby in the US

GeekSync

Star Member
Jun 17, 2018
Hi

I travel across the border to US everyday on H-1B visa. My wife and I are Canadian permanent residents. She lives and works in Canada. We would like my wife to deliver our 2nd baby in the US. First one is a US citizen.
My wife do not hold an H-4 yet but I can apply for one. Is it realistic to plan for delivering baby in the USA? I mean, how do I deal with insurance/hospital in the US.
Our plan is to move to US 3-4 months before the delivery date and come back to Canada after that. Trump has recently informed CBP officers to not allow Visitors (B1/B2) for birth tourism however I guess it won't apply for H-4.

Thanks

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Provided you have health insurance in US,this must be doable, however your baby would be without healthcare coverage after returning to Canada until you sponsor and get PR for it. Sponsoring inland PR might take about a year.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi

I travel across the border to US everyday on H-1B visa. My wife and I are Canadian permanent residents. She lives and works in Canada. We would like my wife to deliver our 2nd baby in the US. First one is a US citizen.
My wife do not hold an H-4 yet but I can apply for one. Is it realistic to plan for delivering baby in the USA? I mean, how do I deal with insurance/hospital in the US.
Our plan is to move to US 3-4 months before the delivery date and come back to Canada after that. Trump has recently informed CBP officers to not allow Visitors (B1/B2) for birth tourism however I guess it won't apply for H-4.

Thanks
When is your wife due? Right now the issuance of H-4 visas is on hold until end of year. Of course that may be influenced by who wins the election...

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hi

Thanks
Just be prepared monetarily that when you bring the child back into Canada it’ll be considered a visitor, and that all the routine checkups care infants normally get in the first year or so , you’ll have to pay. It won’t be covered by OHIP
Get private insurance for any emergency coverage

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Hi

Thanks
Its not Trump's announcement. It was there even before as far as i know. Trump is talking about bringing rule not to issue citizenship for those kids(similar to many countries in EU). Thats different as trump cannot remove the congress' rule on issuing citizenship for those kids just by himself and there is no executive order even hence there is no change in it. So currently its the same rule, if cbp finds out that you are just travelling to give birth then cbp can deny, depends on the officer.

H4: As others said, too much wait time for getting visa. I am also trying to get family's h4 visa for moving but looks like they have not opened and not able to see earlier appointments(other than the one i booked few months ago for Jan2021 - i could see some appointment in other locations for few slots in nov/dec but not sure if they are actually giving visas yet).
At least in India, they are giving emergency appointment for H4 seekers but not in Canada.
So depending on the due date, it would be better if she gets H4 soon and they cant deny even while pregnant.

But is US restricting visitors? Can you call cbp and confirm? https://www.traveloffpath.com/u-s-reopening-for-tourism-everything-you-need-to-know/ If there is no restriction on visiting US then you can travel on B visa and try seeking entry if due date is within this year.
So she has B1 already at least? i assume so

Last edited:

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Hi

Thanks
Hi,

In this pandemic and so much going on, i would strongly suggest, happily and safely deliver baby in Canada. Also there is a backlog of 6 months for H4 visa. If your application goes to California it would be anywhere between 8-14 months. Please do not drive yourself into unnecessary situations.

If it wouldn't have been a pandemic, your idea would have really worked great with things in normal, would have been easier for travel or what not. But now, if you are still thinking on that , relax and have a good time in Canada.

Reactions: Jancy

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
It is certainly feasible. However, like others have mentioned sponsoring the child for Canadian PR will be a long and time consuming process. The child will not have Canadian Provincial health insurance until they get approved for PR + waiting period if any.

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Its not Trump's announcement. It was there even before as far as i know. Trump is talking about bringing rule not to issue citizenship for those kids(similar to many countries in EU). Thats different as trump cannot remove the congress' rule on issuing citizenship for those kids just by himself and there is no executive order even hence there is no change in it. So currently its the same rule, if cbp finds out that you are just travelling to give birth then cbp can deny, depends on the officer.

H4: As others said, too much wait time for getting visa. I am also trying to get family's h4 visa for moving but looks like they have not opened and not able to see earlier appointments(other than the one i booked few months ago for Jan2021 - i could see some appointment in other locations for few slots in nov/dec but not sure if they are actually giving visas yet).
At least in India, they are giving emergency appointment for H4 seekers but not in Canada.
So depending on the due date, it would be better if she gets H4 soon and they cant deny even while pregnant.

But is US restricting visitors? Can you call cbp and confirm? https://www.traveloffpath.com/u-s-reopening-for-tourism-everything-you-need-to-know/ If there is no restriction on visiting US then you can travel on B visa and try seeking entry if due date is within this year.
So she has B1 already at least? i assume so
Hi Hari, What do you think is the ideal thing to do in this situation like OP is in? Out of people whom you have known or done this on B1. If we have plans to return to US in 2-3 years and planning for pregnancy here. Any difference for kids born in Canada for the Universities in US. I know thats a long way but just curious.

Rawhide

Nov 11, 2017
USA
Category........
FSW
App. Filed.......
20-02-2018
Med's Done....
16-02-2018
Hi

Thanks

I dont see any problem as long as you are moving 4 months before delivery. Your employer-sponsored healthcare should cover thecost.

Challenge will be to get Canadian PR for US born child in a short time. Not sure, if you can return with only US passport of new born.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Challenge will be to get Canadian PR for US born child in a short time. Not sure, if you can return with only US passport of new born.
I saw some posts telling that Canada allows US born kids on visitor visa and parents can file for PR while inside Canada.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I saw some posts telling that Canada allows US born kids on visitor visa and parents can file for PR while inside Canada.
Yes once child gets a US passport they usually can enter as a visitor. Parent needs to be in Canada and compliant with their RO to sponsor their children in Canada. In many provinces child will not qualify for public healthcare until they get PR.

Last edited: