+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Delaying Move to Canada If US work is better

sabloom13

Feb 5, 2020
I'm a Canadian citizen and my husband is on a US work visa. We are living in US for his work. If we apply for PR and get approved, can we delay the move up to Canada while the work is still better in the US? We would continue to apply for jobs in Canada until we find a good offer but don't want to lose a good job for nothing if it takes months for him to get work in Canada. I know we would have had to give the "proof of intent to return" officially, but unofficially, I dont see the issue with going up to Canada just to get the PR card, get the SIN, etc, and then going back to the US - especially since we have up to 3 years to kill outside of Canada in order to still be eligible for Canadian citizenship for him.

Also - is there a penalty if we get accepted for PR but dont take it? i.e. if the rule actually is to come up and move up but we don't, can we reapply right away?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
While you technically can do this (soft land and then wait for better time to move) as you would be applying from outside of Canada you must provide substantive proof of intent to return. Some people who have done this have reported occasional challenges at the border or with renewing PR cards as it is essentially misrepresentation (declaring you intend to return and then not returning)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
CIC has really increased the amount of proof you must submit proving that you will actually be relocating when you get PR since so many couples were not actually relocating when they were granted PR.

Reactions: Copingwithlife

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Nobody else has asked so I will , what exactly did you mean by this statement ?

especially since we have up to 3 years to kill outside of Canada in order to still be eligible for Canadian citizenship for him.

You realise I assume that a citizenship application requires physical residence in Canada so time outside of Canada will not count.

Reactions: k.h.p.