+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Delayed pay arrives after becoming PR - Need to pay taxes?

jillyn76

Jun 27, 2016
Good day, everyone.

I finished work contract with a company in my previous country. Soon after that, I left the country for good and I landed as PR in Canada. It just happens that the company's delayed pay arrived after my landing day. In this case do I need to pay taxes in Canada?

Thanks for answering :)

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

jillyn76 said:
Good day, everyone.

I finished work contract with a company in my previous country. Soon after that, I left the country for good and I landed as PR in Canada. It just happens that the company's delayed pay arrived after my landing day. In this case do I need to pay taxes in Canada?

No

Scryden

Jan 29, 2016
jillyn76 said:
Good day, everyone.

You do not have to pay taxes here because you worked for that money in your home country. You owe taxes over that income in your home country. So don't think the money you got is tax free now because you moved out of your country. You still owe your home country their tax money.

jillyn76

Jun 27, 2016
Scryden said:
You do not have to pay taxes here because you worked for that money in your home country. You owe taxes over that income in your home country. So don't think the money you got is tax free now because you moved out of your country. You still owe your home country their tax money.
@Scryden: Thanks for answering. I do understand my tax obligation with the previous country. It's only how taxes are calculated in Canada that I'm worried about.

So far I have got 2 NOs for this. Hope more people will shed more knowledge on this issue to confirm our understanding :)

Scryden

Jan 29, 2016
This is actually all there is to say about it. You moved after you worked for the money you got which means that Canada has no rights whatsoever on income tax over money you made outside of Canada and not as a Canadian resident.