+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Delay of the Oath

aviscan

Mar 13, 2017
Has anyone ever had experience in delaying the Oath?
I have applied for citizenship in Nov 2016. Had my test and passed and status changed to 'Decission made" No oath invite yet. I had sent to PR renewal also in Jan and I see no update on its status.

My question is can I call CIC and delay Oath by September as I have to travel in India in august and it would be tricky to get indian visa on Canadian passport in time.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The short answer is no. You cannot request a specific oath date. CIC will give you an original oath date. If you cannot make this oath date, then you can request another date citing the reason why the first oath date has to be missed. CIC will then give you another date of their choosing. You'll have no influence or say over what new date is selected.

aviscan

Mar 13, 2017
Thanks.

But is there a maximum number of times I can miss Oath, ofcourse citing reasons.
I can maybe miss oath dates 2,3 times to push beyond September.

cprak0

May 25, 2010
Ottawa
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
21-05-2011
aviscan said:
Thanks.

But is there a maximum number of times I can miss Oath, ofcourse citing reasons.
It takes 4 days to get the visa (Indian) to be approved for visa on arrival... so not sure why you would
want to delay the oath and getting the Canadian passport...

aviscan

Mar 13, 2017
It takes 4 days to get the visa (Indian) to be approved for visa on arrival... so not sure why you would

Well not sure if I apply for Indian visa. they won't be able to check and find out I have not declared my indian passport since becoming Canadian. Normal process if surrender the indian passport and then apply for visa or OCI ( OCI take 3-5 months )

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
aviscan said:
Thanks.

I believe it's one time. After that - it's a refusal and you're applying again from scratch.

karianna

Jun 12, 2015
aviscan said:
Well not sure if I apply for Indian visa. they won't be able to check and find out I have not declared my indian passport since becoming Canadian. Normal process if surrender the indian passport and then apply for visa or OCI ( OCI take 3-5 months )
There is a 3 month grace period to surrender your Ind passport from date of citizenship..

Also, you can apply as long as you show proof that you applied to surrender your passport. You don't necessarily have to wait for surrender to be complete..surrender took me about 3 weeks and I applied for oci and surrender at the same time...i didn't have to wait..

aviscan

Mar 13, 2017
karianna said:
There is a 3 month grace period to surrender your Ind passport from date of citizenship..

Also, you can apply as long as you show proof that you applied to surrender your passport. You don't necessarily have to wait for surrender to be complete..surrender took me about 3 weeks and I applied for oci and surrender at the same time...i didn't have to wait..
So u can apply for OCI and one time Visa at same time? I intend to surrender and apply for OCI at same time ( my understanding was wait time is 3-5 months for the whole process ) but I need to travel in july-august

cprak0

May 25, 2010
Ottawa
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
21-05-2011
aviscan said:

No point in trying to delay the oath. The travel part will all work out. Canadian passport you can have within a couple of weeks...There is really no urgency in trying to get the OCI. OCI takes time, but the visa is quick. Surrender of Indian passport has a grace period. Worst case, You could even travel on the Indian passport, there is a fine to be paid when you eventually surrender the passport. So you fly to India with the Indian passport and fly back with Canadian passport (just as regular dual citizens do), but India doesn't have a concept of dual citizen, so you end up paying a fine...

aviscan

Mar 13, 2017
ok Thanks . I do not think I will try to travel with two passport. its illegal with indian passport.
Maybe I will apply for OCI and one time visitor visa.

vik999

Jul 4, 2014
GTA
Visa Office......
mississauga
Citizenship test done beginning of 2019, Mailed application in May 2018.
July 2019 completed and so far have not got oath date. What are my options?