+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Delay being Outside Canada

rishisingh86

Star Member
Apr 3, 2017
Hello Everyone

Wanted to check and just out of curiosity. Anyone here waiting for a decision on their citizenship and they are currently outside Canada?

I am a Mar 2019 applicant. Over 3 years since application. Completed my test and currently have language, physical presence and prohibitions in progress. I have sent multiple webform enquiries, gcms notes and still havnt received any updated on my status. The last update i got was in Nov 2021 asking for my passports.

The only thing is that I have moved out of Canada 6 months ago and I am wondering if it is impacting my application :(

Reactions: Dreamlad

saleem7821

Jul 24, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-09-2013
Nomination.....
PER Received :16-12-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
File Transfer...
10-01-2014
Med's Request
26-06-2014 Remedical Assessment Request : 26-08-2015
Med's Done....
09-07-2014 Remedical done : 17-09-2015
Passport Req..
PPR1 : 28-Oct-2014 , PPR2 : 26-Oct-2015
VISA ISSUED...
26-Oct-2015
LANDED..........
InshahAllah May 2016 Welcome Edmonton
Hello,
If you have the test from outside Canada probably IRCC will ask you to send them date or boarding pass when you will be returning Canada. But if you have the test from inside Canada most probably you will get the decision made and oath invitation even you are outside Canada. Good luck

Reactions: rishisingh86

Dreamlad

Champion Member
Jan 11, 2016
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
08-04-2017
Med's Done....
23-06-2017
Hello Everyone

Wanted to check and just out of curiosity. Anyone here waiting for a decision on their citizenship and they are currently outside Canada?

I am a Mar 2019 applicant. Over 3 years since application. Completed my test and currently have language, physical presence and prohibitions in progress. I have sent multiple webform enquiries, gcms notes and still havnt received any updated on my status. The last update i got was in Nov 2021 asking for my passports.

The only thing is that I have moved out of Canada 6 months ago and I am wondering if it is impacting my application :(
See my signature.

• Sad

iceman55

May 1, 2022
Hello Everyone

Some 2020/early 2021 applicants who did the test/submitted passport copies in November seem to be getting some updates recently. Hopefully you will too.

Can I ask if you had any exceptional scenarios during the eligibility period like frequent travel, RQ Request, residency obligation issues during PR, prior citizenship application denial, less than three tax filings, long unemployment etc? Just curious why there seems to be many cases like yours with close to/over 3 years of waiting.

Even if COVID interrupted the processing, it doesn't make any sense why they would work on newer applications before concluding these extremely old ones. If you had exceptional scenarios, may be they have a small number of staff working on older applications compared to newer ones? Did GCMS notes provide any insight?

Orlaith

Nov 15, 2013
Some 2020/early 2021 applicants who did the test/submitted passport copies in November seem to be getting some updates recently. Hopefully you will too.

Can I ask if you had any exceptional scenarios during the eligibility period like frequent travel, RQ Request, residency obligation issues during PR, prior citizenship application denial, less than three tax filings, long unemployment etc? Just curious why there seems to be many cases like yours with close to/over 3 years of waiting.

Even if COVID interrupted the processing, it doesn't make any sense why they would work on newer applications before concluding these extremely old ones. If you had exceptional scenarios, may be they have a small number of staff working on older applications compared to newer ones? Did GCMS notes provide any insight?
I am an early 2020 applicant - test October 2021 - waiting for oath still - 8 months later.

Dreamlad

Champion Member
Jan 11, 2016
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
08-04-2017
Med's Done....
23-06-2017

UnleashedFX

Oct 21, 2016
I always wondered why they ask if we are outside of Canada before doing the test? Why would it matter if the test is online? Perhaps they put us in a group for slower processing, which I think is absurd. Again I am not saying this as a fact, but it just seems weird as to why they would be asking for our location before doing the test…

Reactions: Dreamlad

iceman55

May 1, 2022
I always wondered why they ask if we are outside of Canada before doing the test? Why would it matter if the test is online? Perhaps they put us in a group for slower processing, which I think is absurd. Again I am not saying this as a fact, but it just seems weird as to why they would be asking for our location before doing the test…
As you may know, there are enough people on the forum that would immediately pounce on the thread as soon as this subject comes up and make the thread unusable afterwards. As someone waiting for so long without any explanation, they know you’re susceptible to any explanation, they will confirm your worst fears without any rational process and move on to the next thread afterwards. Not to mention, the longer it takes for the application to be decided, the higher the chances of people traveling/taking test outside which will add further noise to the data. This kind of analysis will lead to no new information. Everything will stay the same. In my case, I’m havent applied for my citizenship yet I’m just curious. I don’t want this thread to end with the same fate as every other thread on the topic. I’m just trying to get data on different possibilities and then let the data decide what could be the problem.

if possible, could you answer this (only if you applied for citizenship before March 2020):
Can I ask if you had any exceptional scenarios during the eligibility period like frequent travel, RQ Request, residency obligation issues during PR, prior citizenship application denial, less than three tax filings, long unemployment, any police/rcmp record etc?

I completely understand if you dont want to answer this. But just like the tracking spreadsheet, collecting data like this would be immensely useful. Even if you dont want to discuss this data publicly I’d suggest someone with a long waittime (especially 2019 cases) take an internal survey like this among established members that havent seen any progress and try to figure out the problem. Unless you put some amount of data togeher it will all be a speculation. Just my 2 cents.

UnleashedFX

Oct 21, 2016
As you may know, there are enough people on the forum that would immediately pounce on the thread as soon as this subject comes up and make the thread unusable afterwards. As someone waiting for so long without any explanation, they know you’re susceptible to any explanation, they will confirm your worst fears without any rational process and move on to the next thread afterwards. Not to mention, the longer it takes for the application to be decided, the higher the chances of people traveling/taking test outside which will add further noise to the data. This kind of analysis will lead to no new information. Everything will stay the same. In my case, I’m havent applied for my citizenship yet I’m just curious. I don’t want this thread to end with the same fate as every other thread on the topic. I’m just trying to get data on different possibilities and then let the data decide what could be the problem.

if possible, could you answer this (only if you applied for citizenship before March 2020):
Can I ask if you had any exceptional scenarios during the eligibility period like frequent travel, RQ Request, residency obligation issues during PR, prior citizenship application denial, less than three tax filings, long unemployment, any police/rcmp record etc?

I completely understand if you dont want to answer this. But just like the tracking spreadsheet, collecting data like this would be immensely useful. Even if you dont want to discuss this data publicly I’d suggest someone with a long waittime (especially 2019 cases) take an internal survey like this among established members that havent seen any progress and try to figure out the problem. Unless you put some amount of data togeher it will all be a speculation. Just my 2 cents.
Agreed.

And unfortunately, I cannot provide that information as I applied in June, 2021.

rishisingh86

Star Member
Apr 3, 2017

hi iceman55

Thank you for the response and no i dont mind. I dont think i am under the exceptional category; I did have frequent travel during my eligibility period - frequent trips to US to visit friends, 2 long vacations to India and UK. During my eligibility period, I was unemployed for little over 6 months, but I have filled taxes from the time I have lived in Canada. I currently dont have any rcmp / police records also.

rishisingh86

Star Member
Apr 3, 2017
And I applied for my gcms notes twice - first time in Jan 2022 and most recently in the month of Mar 2022. I am yet to receive anything till now.

rishisingh86

Star Member
Apr 3, 2017
On a side note : when i spoke to IRCC they didnt ask me for my return tickets or time I am expected to be back in Canada.