+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Degree but lack experience (help)

simonvee

Jul 13, 2009
Hi everyone,

Can somebody shed me some light and recommendations of my job prospects in Canada. I am 26, Australian, and will be applying for a WHV to work in Canada next year. Perhaps I will work there till 30 to ultimately develop my career.

I have a double degree in HRM/psychology and a degree in accounting. My greatest concern is that I completely lack experience related to ALL my degrees. I am a recent university graduate. It's a scary thought considering how competitive Canada is.

I would hate to work as a cleaner or in fast food. Although the work does not have to be related to my degree, is there any jobs out there for an immigrant of my circumstance that pays a minimum of $30,000? A bonus if it is white collar.

Canadian Career Coach

Star Member
Sep 15, 2010
Toronto, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The Australian job market is not drastically different from the Canadian market -- there will always be little nuances between any 2 countries, but there are many similiarities. For whatever reason alot of immigrants from the Commonwealth countries have an easier time working in each others countries. I think Canadians going to Australia would find may things very similiar.

What an potential employer is going to look at is a combination of work education and work history. It's not uncommon for alot of people to have a degree in X and then go into a different field. In some cases, it is just showing an employer you have 'some' post secondary education, whatever it may be.

What will be important is to focus on what work experience you do have and how you can leverage that for the future. Your accounting background would definitely help for any business role, whether that's a retail store manager or elsewhere.

Depending on your timeframe when you land in Canada, sometimes NOT rushing out and taking the 1st job offered may be the better approach. It's not uncommon for anyone who's lived/worked in Canada to take 3+months to find another position in their exact field (this often depends on the level of the position).

Take a look at this post to learn more about job searching in Canada: http://careego.com/CareerResources/ImmigrationJobSearch/JobSearchStrategies/tabid/325/language/en-CA/Default.aspx

coyne20

Oct 18, 2010
Have you thought about gaining voluntary industry experience for your chosen field? Network with people in your profession in Canada via Linkedin.com. Also have a look at V.N.M (Volunteer. Network.Mentorship) programmes in Canada.